PM says increased police killings must be probed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PM says increased police killings must be probed

Prime Minister Golding says the increase in the homicide rate, especially in instances where persons are killed during confrontations with the police, should not be met with alarm.
    According to Mr. Golding, since the security forces ramped up their fight against crime following the West Kingston incursion in May, and there has been a 40% reduction in crime compared with the first five months of the year.
    Mr. Golding has expressed concern about some police killings but stressed that when persons unlawfully attack the police, there are consequences.
    "There are human rights issues that have to be addressed. I am concerned myself about some of the reports of police killings because some are questionable and must be investigated. (However); where members of the security forces have acted outside of the law, they must be held accountable under the law," said the Prime Minister in his address to Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) supporters at the Party's 67th annual conference at the National Arena on Sunday.
    The JLP Leader added that increased police killings are also linked to the criminals becoming more brazen.
    "Let us understand that if we continue to confront criminals more intensely that we used to do, there will be an increase in homicides as long as there are criminals who are prepared to open fire on the police … it's just a matter of logic and arithmetic," Mr. Golding added.
    He further stated that his Government is serious about fighting crime as is evident in its implementation of the six Crime Bills, the Organised Crime Act, Plea Bargaining and the introduction of the DNA Evidence Bill.

http://rjrnewsonline.com/news/local/...must-be-probed
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

He says all the right things, except, "I RESIGN!".

sigh

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"I re-sign" is what he said...
      Peter R

Comment

Darn! Silly me!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
        X