Opposition raises concern about plans to move Up Park Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opposition raises concern about plans to move Up Park Camp

The Government's decision to press ahead with plans to relocate the headquarters of the country's military is not going down well with the Parliamentary Opposition.
    Portia Simpson-Miller, Leader of the Opposition, expressed concerns about the relocation during a debate in the House of Representatives on the Urban Renewal Act on Tuesday.
    Prime Minister Bruce Golding told Parliamentarians more than 4,000 acres of land at Caymanas in St. Catherine have been transferred to the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) for its new headquarters.
    However, Mrs. Simpson-Miller urged caution.
    "We would love to have discussions on security concerns and certainly the historical value of Up Park Camp. I'm not saying we're against the (planned relocation) but I would love for us to have further discussions on it before a final sign off because there are some security concerns that jump up at me immediately and other concerns in terms of our history and the preservation of our heritage," Mrs. Simpson-Miller said.
    The Prime Minister told Parliament preliminary design work has been completed and a meeting is set for later this week to discuss the relocation.
    He did not say how soon the JDF would have to start moving or what it will cost.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    The Government's decision to press ahead with plans to relocate the headquarters of the country's military is not going down well with the Parliamentary Opposition.
    Portia Simpson-Miller, Leader of the Opposition, expressed concerns about the relocation during a debate in the House of Representatives on the Urban Renewal Act on Tuesday.
    Prime Minister Bruce Golding told Parliamentarians more than 4,000 acres of land at Caymanas in St. Catherine have been transferred to the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) for its new headquarters.
    However, Mrs. Simpson-Miller urged caution.
    "We would love to have discussions on security concerns and certainly the historical value of Up Park Camp. I'm not saying we're against the (planned relocation) but I would love for us to have further discussions on it before a final sign off because there are some security concerns that jump up at me immediately and other concerns in terms of our history and the preservation of our heritage," Mrs. Simpson-Miller said.
    The Prime Minister told Parliament preliminary design work has been completed and a meeting is set for later this week to discuss the relocation.
    He did not say how soon the JDF would have to start moving or what it will cost.

Portia, yuh membah di last time Bruce tell yuh say him a go talk to yuh bout someting before him do it?

arite den! yuh betta go block di road to Caymanas and wear someting dat can lift ova yuh 'ead!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

Portia, yuh membah di last time Bruce tell yuh say him a go talk to yuh bout someting before him do it?

arite den! yuh betta go block di road to Caymanas and wear someting dat can lift ova yuh 'ead!

What's your take on it - do you want to see it relocated?
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

lots of history at UPC, but sometimes yuh can't just hold on just for history's sake. things change. one has to consider that the JDF also has an air wing. is that the best place for helicopters and maybe even small planes in the future? never know when T&T might need some bombing!

and much of UPC is really ruins. ok, maybe not much of it, but some of those fine old wooden barracks look like hell right now!

i would set up a mtg with Bruce (yeah, right) and see what it's all about.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Thanks Mo.
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

"lots of history at UPC" Meaningless Mo, they cut part for Stadium, Wint road, then they housing scheme (last straw).

They should move, but left the grave yard intact as they have the only Victoria Cross recepiant buried there.

Certainly need airstrip (with Landind pads), and perimeter fencing where you can't see Military Facility from the fence.

I heard about this move since Champs, where was Portia, they take this Member of the Oppsition too serious, I bet she don't even have a ASS of reason to block or delay move.

Is the new area near to the old Railway Route?

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              lots of history at UPC, but sometimes yuh can't just hold on just for history's sake. things change. one has to consider that the JDF also has an air wing. is that the best place for helicopters and maybe even small planes in the future? never know when T&T might need some bombing!

and much of UPC is really ruins. ok, maybe not much of it, but some of those fine old wooden barracks look like hell right now!

i would set up a mtg with Bruce (yeah, right) and see what it's all about.
              We should clean up the ghettos that we have instead of creating a new one.
              The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

is ghetto dem ah guh create at UPC ?

Where yuh read dat ?

Comment

I say Portia chat too much. This is the problem I always have with the PNP. They want to have dialoque and setup committees on top of committees without anything being done. They keep wasting taxpapers time and money. This move has been proposed for quite some time time now. Why not push to get dialoque then. I say go ahead Bruce and let Portia and crew keep opposing..I guess that's their job

Comment

Working...
                  X