St James new murder capital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St James new murder capital

<DIV>Some months ago, some forumites wanted the rest of the country to secede and become its own republic, independent of the killing fields that were Kingston and St. Andrew. Well, what should we do now? And what should we do when May Pen becomes the new murder capital, and then Falmouth? We need real solutions, even though I know some of what was being said was in jest.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>St James new murder capital
    published: Thursday | January 25, 2007
    </DIV><DIV><DIV id=printReady><DIV class=KonaBody xVlvo="true">

Glenroy Sinclair, Assignment Coordinator

Jamaica's murder capital has switched from the once bloody streets of the St. Andrew South Police Division, to the hills and valleys of St. James, the parish with the mega tourist attractions.

Up to yesterday, police records were showing that 102 persons had been murdered since the start of the year. Of that number, St. James was ahead with 20 homicides, with St. Andrew South lying in fourth position with 13, four fewer than the figure for the corresponding period last year.

Doing things differently

"For more than a decade, St. Andrew South has been the murder capital of the nation. Last year, we ended with 196 murders, but we have been doing things differently this year," commented Deputy Superintendent of Police Michael Hugh Phipps, crime officer for the division.

The police in the division are involved in the planning and execution of more targeted raids, designed to take charge of the space normally occupied by criminals.

"As a result of this, they (the criminals) have been forced to flee to areas outside of the division,"explained DSP Phipps.

He said the police have been getting a higher level of cooperation from the citizens, in addition to assistance from the divisional intelligence unit, which has been working overtime.

This was evident yesterday when the senior officer and his roving team seized a Uzi sub-machine gun, following a shoot-out in the volatile Maverley community. When the shooting subsided, the police said an unidentified man who challenged them had been killed.

In a recent interview with The Gleaner Police Commissioner Lucius Thomas described St. Andrew South as a model division, based on the successes achieved there last year.
    </DIV></DIV></DIV><DIV></DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

RE: St James new murder capital

Simple! Stop people from leaving Kingston. Anyway, here are 3 things I'd like to see. There may be more important points than these, I can accept that .. but ....
    1. <LI>Opportunities are needed to be provided for those who want to work to be able to find work. I recall the president of the St. James Chamber of Commerce saying how a young man just coming from prison was caught stealing food. He did admit he took it because he was hungry and the VP of the SJCC offered to hire the CONVICT on a part time basis. The same VP had to admit after a time that the CONVICT is one of his best worker. I have to wonder if this youth had an opportunity to produce if he would have gone to prison. On top of that ... kids are leaving school and cannot find a job. What yuh think some of them gonna do? Boy naah work, girl naah girl, mess round two twos dem become parents. How dem ago mine the kid? How many of them whey a hustle use the excuse, mi affi feed mi family?
      </LI><LI>The police need to stop complaining about witnesses not coming forward, they need to go out there, set up sting operations, try to catch the crooks on video tape.
      </LI><LI>We need to get serious about protecting our ports and our borders. That big gun find in St. Elizabeth proves my point.
      </LI><LI>Spend money on the police force. My brother told me of an incident that happened at the hotel he works, he called the ochie police to come over, they told him fi send a taxi fi dem, cause dem nuh have nuh cyar right now. As a matter of fact,</LI>

"Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

FIVE more killed between last night and this morning and one of them was beheaded, third such incident to have taken place in the last 10 months or so.

This DC who i knew from going to court was shot and killed at a very busy intersection Tuesday night and robbed of his gun, cell phone and watch.

Trust me boss, I am scared. It is scant copnsolation that the vast majority of those being killed are 'into something' either turf war or the Lotto scam but there are cwaht vpeople are calling casuality of war- As Sting says I dont want to become any statistic on a government chart.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Some education for you - Kingston might not be in the pickle that it's in if "we" had stopped people from migrating to Kingston. Kingston is not the problem. Sooner yuh learn dat...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well .. don't tell me,
          tell Brownie...the mayor of Clarendon.

Heard him on the news saying that while the powers that be bragging how crime is being reduced, the criminals moving into the countryside.

Until I hear an offical rebuttal, wha mi muss duh? Say a lie him a tell?
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

We need out of the ordinary solutions, and sometimes we have tunnel vision when it comes to trying different strategies. I know most massive do not support people self-arming themselves, so we are at the mercy of criminals.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Sounds like it is time to leggo Adams and invade Tivaarli again.

Shut down Tivaarli and problems solved.

Imagine if wi nevah have di remittance pipeline..

Dat lifeline hiding nuff tings..some people nuh really unnastan how rotten the foundation has become..

Jawge, cheer us up with some news nuh... what is the Literacy rate again ?

Comment

Lazie them never teach you Social Studies at YC? Mayor Of Clarendon? A whey you come from, when since one whole parish have mayor?
                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

Suh because of that ... yuh gonna say that Milton Brown don't exist?

Comment

Milton Brown does exist, did I ever deny his existence..how unnu labourites argue so, you and Maubid argue the same way....laks man....
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

I see .. tuh mek yuh point, I'm a labourite? Comical.

Comment

Working...
                      X