A cut above the best.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cut above the best.

I read, with delight, an article in the newspaper today about the academic exploits of Yasheka Magaroo, a wonderful student from a traditional high school, yes, not a sporting academy, called Titchfield. Despite, the unfittingly tame headline, I read the entire article, and came away with a sense of hope for my country. She got 10 distinctions, yes 10 on the regional examination. Then further down was an article about Gariel Grant, a wonderful Campion College student who got 9, yes 9 distinctions in the same exam.

Both are brilliant, but Yasheka especially hit my heart, for selfish reasons, I might add. When I was young, I used to spend some summers with the Indian side of my family, in a little town in Portland called West Retreat. There was a Mangaroo family living there , very humble, and like the rest of the citizens of that rural community, located not far from Port Antonio, very pleasant and had a real sense of community. Descendants of Indian and Chinese ******s, and African slaves lived in love and like Burning Spear would say, "With hearts beating in one harmony". Everybody attended each others weddings, dances, and I attended several annual "Husseys", I think it used to be called in those days. This was an Indian festival where a small house.adorned with bright flowers, was carried on the shoulders of several men, in a parade. There was no X6/X5, pumping of sewer gas in the brains of the children by men on stages with microphones, skin bleaching, gun salute. don, weaves, tatoos, skinny jeans, or blackberry. It was a simple life, a good, but not perfect life.

I am not sure, but I strongly suspect that Yasheka is a descendant of that same community of hearts beating in harmony. I hope she keeps up the excellent work, and if she is of the original West Retreat Mangaroos, I have no doubt that she will.

Well said.

Comment

Big up to this Girl and my high school. A few things based on what he said her name was Magaroo and Not Mangaroo. I know some nice Mangaroo especially my former teacher who married to Mr. Moo.
      I also know the Managroo who would want to shoot you or lock you up if you pick up a mango or orange off his property.

Anyway big up this girls and whatever community she is from it is execellent work.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

too many oooo's in dat one fi meh ... mi dizzy ... mi would a love a julie mangar ... er .. mango right about now!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Me was wondering bout the lady who married Mr Moo. I hope she nuh call herself Mrs Mangaroo-Moo?
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

that was a big thing in high school.
            Miss Managroo(indian) married to Mr Moo (chinese)
            She was pregnant and nobody knew(she was so skinny she had no belly at all) both were teachers at Titchfield.

You couldn't even make up that story if you wanted too. -
            Both were very nice people though.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              that was a big thing in high school.
              Miss Managroo(indian) married to Mr Moo (chinese)
              She was pregnant and nobody knew(she was so skinny she had no belly at all) both were teachers at Titchfield.

You couldn't even make up that story if you wanted too. -
              Both were very nice people though.
              So..

There once was a Lady Mangaroo
              When she grew, she found herself being wooed
              After a while she married Mr Moo
              So nice they were, their enemies were few
              And just what did Mr & Mrs Mangaroo do?
              Fine teachers they were, giving no cause to rue
              She got pregnant after they practiced to scre_ ooh Mr Moo she cooed
              But alas, nobody knew!
              Why? So skinny was the Lady Mangaroo, her belly was hidden from view
              And that is the story of the good Mangaroos
              Last edited by Don1; August 18, 2011, 09:19 PM.
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Was Ms. Mangaroo's first name Mary-Lou? Or Sue?

Btw, you're silly, Don1!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yes my poet brethren. Wicked. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    Was Ms. Mangaroo's first name Mary-Lou? Or Sue?

Btw, you're silly, Don1!
                    who knew?

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

lol

Comment

Tell me, did Mr. Groo have any mango of East Indian descent?
                        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

unuh clap him.....famous words of Miss Lou.
                          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Good post, sah!
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

lawd him had the sweetest Julie and East Indian. Them "sweet till it scratch". Remember one time him ketch mi brethren and took him to him friend yard and say "Jack Jack, I ketch a blue squit" Mi friend sure him was going to jail but with some pleading from Jack, him let him go.

Comment

Working...
                              X