Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue: Where are all the new ideas?

Issue: Where are all the new ideas?Published: Saturday | January 7, 2012

THE EDITOR, Sir:We have just emerged from another election which saw both parties slinging mud, digging up old scandals, and playing news clips of each other embarrassing themselves and their parties in one way or another.

But after a month of campaigning, debating, and mass rallies, the only really new idea out of both parties combined is a reconditioned JEEP.
    So, the question is, with all the highly vaunted 'young, bright minds' representing both parties, where are the NEW IDEAS? Let me take this opportunity to whet your appetite with one.

The Internet is awash with freelance job opportunities in writing, programming, accounting, data entry, you name it. They might not pay much, but still, why not have high-school classes bid for some of these jobs and have the students complete the exercises in class or as homework? The teacher can mark the work in the normal way and then send it in.

Imagine 50 students in the class. The job may be worth, say, US$20 each. That's US$1,000! They can do this every week. The school or the students could get the money to do whatever.

Such a simple idea that would see students learning in a practical way and making money.

I am not a genius. But from what I have seen in the last election campaign, I could probably come up with more new ideas than the 150 candidates combined.

READER
    mandeville@copiersltd.com

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...cleisure3.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X