• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering Leo Jones

For Balla and any other Knox College alumni

Remembering Leo Jones

Published: Sunday | January 8, 2012 Comments 0

Errol Lee (left), leader of the Bare Essentials band, and his former teacher, Coleridge Barnett, greet each other at the thanksgiving service for Leo Jones. Barnett went on to become principal of Wolmer's Boys' School after leaving Knox College in Spaldings, Clarendon. - Contributed

Errol Lee, Contributor
    Leo Jones, one of the founding principals of Knox College, located in the cool hills of Spaldings, Clarendon, died recently. Errol Lee, a former student and leader of the popular Bare Essentials band, paid tribute to him at his funeral. Here in an excerpt from the tribute.

Leo Jones (Bull J) was recruited by the founder of Knox, the Reverend Lewis Davidson, who had met the young Jones at Wolmer's Boys' School, to join the academic staff at the new school atop a hill overlooking the sleepy country town of Spaldings. Yulanda Azan, one of the first group of students, says the image that remains in her mind when she thinks of Bull J is that of the lignum vitae - strong, sturdy and native to the land. The Latin translation is "the tree of life", a fitting metaphor for Leo Jones.

Over the years, he served as teacher of mathematics, chemistry, general science, physical education, as well as hostel master, track and field coach, scoutmaster, dean of students (chief disciplinarian), husband of Barbara (who he met at Knox), biological father of five, and surrogate father to every boy who lived at Jones Hostel. He also fathered every boy and girl who was assigned to Grants House, every budding athlete who qualified for Champs, and every child, male or female who needed a little mentoring while living at boarding school, far from the all-seeing eye of their biological parents.

Past students of all ages remember Jones as a no-nonsense person who could cut you down to size with one sharp word. He used our surnames, never our Christian names, to indicate approval or disapproval, the latter determined by the decibel. A comforting word would begin with a smile and a question, for example, "How are you, Lee?"

On the other hand, you knew you were in trouble when, like a bolt of lightning, you heard your name coming at you from afar, "Lee!" and you realised that you have been caught taking a short cut across the newly planted grass on the playing field - the field Bull J had been trying to grass for 20 years ... . The field he had told us not to walk across on our way to or from church. All actions have reactions and so, for the rest of the term, yours truly was sentenced to pick up all stones that found their way on to the surface of that hallowed turf.

Track and Field
    Those of us who showed some promise in track and field got to know that side of him. He knew the sport inside out, starting with the school ... . The detailed results of every sports day, the first team to compete for Knox at Champs, who did what and placed where. The '60s were to produce some notables, Floyd Graham, Gilbert West, Enid Drummond -all of whom won gold medals at Champs on the first day, creating the headline in the Gleaner, 'Knox take early lead'.

In most instances, those first-day points were our last, but with Champs lasting three days, stealing the headlines on one of those days is no mean feat. Bull J would make all necessary arrangements for housing us in Kingston, and the entire team would travel into Kingston by the diesel from Kendal. If we failed to qualify for the next round, it would be back to the railway station and back to Spaldings. Need I say that the ignominy of arriving back at school one day after leaving in a blaze of glory ensured that we tried our best to qualify for the next round and stay in Kingston with the team.

They say our reward is in Heaven. But 16 years after my final trip to Champs, as I watched Leo's first born, a certain Jon Jones, turn for home in the 400-metre final at the National Stadium, having scored more points for Knox in Class Two than most schools did with a full team, I knew our reward could also be here on Earth.

Knew football
    Bull J knew football inside out. From him, we learned about the exploits of Stanley Matthews, Puskas, Edson Arrantes do Naciemento (Pele), Garrincha, Bobby Moore and Dennis Law. A few of us were lucky enough to travel into Kingston with him to watch Jamaica get hammered by Cuba, Honduras or El Salvador. But having grown up with the mantra that 'if by chance you meet defeat, you face it with a grin', we couldn't see what the fuss was all about. It was how you played the game that mattered, not whether you won or lost.

Bull J tried to make a Scout out of me. I liked the uniform, particularly the scarf and the little beret. But there was this slip knot that I just could not master and failed the tenderfoot test twice. He saw me after the next meeting and asked: "Leaving us, Lee?" I nodded sheepishly and ran off to do something I was better at. No more tenderfoot test for me.

He did succeed later on to make a prefect out of me, although he could have withheld the honour on the morning I was to be sworn in. Looking for the group to give us last-minute instructions, his nose led him behind the water tank at Rothnie Hostel. There we were, all six of us, sharing a last fraternal Craven A when the lookout yelled, "Bull J!" and we scattered into nearby bushes. Ten minutes later, after much Colgate and Listerine, we arrived at the point of assembly to be told by Leo, "I have a mind to tell Pops I have rescinded your appointments. But, instead, I want you to swear that there will be no repeat of this morning." And just like that, the smokers' club was disbanded.

As dean of students, Bull J took the job of protecting us from ourselves very seriously. It was he who introduced the six-inch rule at house parties. And he walked around with a 12-inch ruler which was put to use whenever he believed there was an infringement. Other adults might have found such a rule and its enforcement ludicrous. Not Leo, because he never really treated us like children,just young people who needed guidance.

We say farewell, but not without mentioning his fantastic singing voice -a genuine tenor that soared above the other voices in the chorus line of the Pirates of Penzance, the Mikado and every other Gilbert and Sullivan operetta produced and performed at Knox College.

Hundreds of mourners from the Knox complex of schools, past students, the sporting fraternity, the Scout movement, and the University of the West Indies turned out to pay tribute to the man who was a pioneer in the founding of Knox College.
    Leo Jones is survived by his widow, Dr Barbara Jones, and children Jon, Sean, Fiona and Gwyn.
    Errol Lee attended Knox College between 1960 and 1968.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes
Working...
X