Trafigura says it has received returned funds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trafigura says it has received returned funds

"Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Trafigura says it has received returned funds

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Trafigura says it has received returned funds</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>
    Monday, March 12, 2007
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>Dutch oil trader Trafigura on Friday said it had received the money that the People's National Party (PNP) reported it had returned and made it clear that it would not make any other comment on the issue.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=120 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>GOLDING... Dutch police are supposed to send a team of investigators to Jamaica</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>"We can now confirm receipt of the monies, which were sent by wire in the appropriate manner via the international banking system. No further comments will be made on this matter," Trafigura spokesman Neil Cameron said in an e-mail response from the firm's London office.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Trafigura's response to an Observer query came on the same day that Jamaica Labour Party leader Bruce Golding told journalists that the Dutch authorities will be asking the Jamaican Government for permission to send investigators to the island to probe Trafigura's controversial $31-million donation to the PNP last September.<P class=StoryText align=justify>According to Golding, he had received a letter from the Dutch police on February 21 seeking his cooperation in the probe and informing him that the assistance of the Jamaican Government would also be sought.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"We are advised of the investigators who have been assigned. The investigations are being conducted jointly by the National Police Internal Investigations Department and the Dutch National Prosecutor's office," Golding said at a news conference at the JLP headquarters in Kingston.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"Firstly, they sought confirmation of my willingness to be interviewed," said Golding. "I indicated to them that I stood ready. They are supposed to send a team of investigators to Jamaica, but they have indicated that they would need to have the agreement of the Government and that a formal request was being prepared to be submitted to the Government."<P class=StoryText align=justify>Trafigura's confirmation also came 10 days after PNP General-Secretary Donald Buchanan told reporters that the money was sent back to the firm.
    Trafigura came to national attention last October when the Opposition revealed that the firm, which has a contract to lift and trade Nigerian crude on the international market for Jamaica, transferred $31 million to a local bank account held by the PNP.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The PNP said the money was a donation for electioneering, but Trafigura later claimed that it was payment on a commercial agreement. The scandal resulted in the resignation of then information minister and PNP general-secretary Colin Campbell.
    On October 8, Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller ordered the money returned.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie (3/12/2007)<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=120 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description></SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify><P class=StoryText align=justify><P class=StoryText align=justify>Firstly, they sought confirmation of my willingness to be interviewed," said Golding. "I indicated to them that I stood ready.
      <P class=StoryText align=justify>Golding seems to be on the inside on this Trafigura funds deal! Who is paying him? Wonder what is his cut?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

As yuh say, all a unuh corrupt, no wonder you now want to pin this on Bruce. How yuh sleep a nite time?

Comment

A more pertinent question is who is paying YOU and what is YOUR cut.. surely you are getting a pretty penny for compromising yourself daily on this site.

Defending the indefensible is a costly affair, I hope you are being well compensated.

Comment

Lazie (3/12/2007)As yuh say, all a unuh corrupt, no wonder you now want to pin this on Bruce. How yuh sleep a nite time?
            Golding: I won't reveal Trafigura source
            published: Monday | March 12, 2007
            <DIV class=KonaBody ssBEK="true">

Declaring that he disclosed the $31 million Trafigura Beheer transaction with CCOC Associates, in the public interest, Opposition Leader Bruce Golding told journalists Friday that he would never reveal his source.

The Trafigura donation dis-closure in October last year sparked national debate, with the People's National Party (PNP) accusing Mr. Golding of breaching the Banking Act when he divulged confidential information about the PNP-linked account.

Mr. Golding produced bank documents at Gordon House during a press conference with cheques drawn on FirstCaribbean International Bank showing transactions with CCOC Associates, linked to former General Secretary and Information Minister, Colin Campbell.

Protecting whistle-blowers

"Whistle-blowers ... who are not protected now by any law but who will be in the future ... but until such time, whistle-blowers must feel that they can provide information to the Opposition and the Opposition will protect their own confidentiality while pursuing the public interest and that is what we do," he said.

Meanwhile, the Opposition Leader said he was available to the police if and when they decide to pursue an investigation into the matter.</DIV>
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Maudib (3/12/2007)A more pertinent question is who is paying YOU and what is YOUR cut.. surely you are getting a pretty penny for compromising yourself daily on this site.

Defending the indefensible is a costly affair, I hope you are being well compensated.
              Did Bruce approach bank officials with an offer of reward if confidential bank documents on PNP business was removed and handed over?

Did a bank official or bank officials approach Bruce with 'an offer he did not refuse' to engage in the illegal acquisition of bank documents?

Did Bruce bribe the bank official?

...or, was there a payoff to the bank official by Bruce and or his functionaries and or anyone on Bruce's behalf and or any member of the JLP and or any persons acting on behalf of Bruce and or the JLP????

...has Bruce and or any member of the JLP engaged in such actions previous to this referenced action - i.e. the Trafigura affair?

Have there been spiriting out of private citizen's (..or, citizens) bank documents and or from any financial institution been approved and or actually engaged in..carried out byBruce and orthe JLPby any member(s) of the the JLP as conspirator(s) or as co-conspirators?

Dem caught doin hit once...dem cudda duh hit more dan once an neva get ketch?...nuh tru?

an iffen dem duh hit tuh di PNP...wah fi stap dem fram duh hit tuh persons and hor businesses?

A wanda...iffendat type a tiefin info cudda be used fipersonal use? ...gain? ...criminal intent? ...sold and or given to addas who cudda den use hit fi carri hout criminal hactions gainst di person(s) or entities an horadders nex tuh di person(s) dem? A wanda?

Comment

you religious fanatics are amazing.

Comment

An appropriate course of action would be to fully investigate the ones dat 'Get Ketch'

I know you fully support this request from the Dutch Govt, and I know you will want a comprehensive forensic examination of the Trafigura affair to determine if the Jamaica People have been disenfranchised in any way by Government officials charged with the protection of the State.

In the event that you are not sure of the correct course of action.. try this:

Pretend it was Eddie and the JLP in power...

That should clear any blockage in your system.

Regarding your concerns.. Bruce seh bring it on:

Protecting whistle-blowers

"Whistle-blowers ... who are not protected now by any law but who will be in the future ... but until such time, whistle-blowers must feel that they can provide information to the Opposition and the Opposition will protect their own confidentiality while pursuing the public interest and that is what we do," he said.

Meanwhile, the Opposition Leader said he was available to the police if and when they decide to pursue an investigation into the matter.

Bring in the Dutch Investigators and the JCF and let the chips fall where they may !!

What yuh seh Karl ?

Comment

Maudib (3/12/2007)

Bring in the Dutch Investigators and the JCF and let the chips fall where they may !!

What yuh seh Karl ?
                    Ofcourse!

...and, there should be a separate investigation intohow Bruce came to be possession of the 'damning' documents. This latter concentrating on Bruce's role in that criminal affair.

Maudib: You do agree that it is criminal to receive confidential documents belonging to the bank and the individual and or entities...that entrust such documents to the bank?

After all is said and done, the documents and or copies of the documents were stolen from the bank? ...and, both the person and or persons who stole goods and the person or persons who receive stolen goods are liable to prosecution and to be held to accounts under law?

You would not want to have a situation where there is any encouragement for such actions would you? At the very least you would not want anyone...anyone and or any entity to be privy without any legal consequences to your personal information...to 'jus suh' dig-up dig-up' your personal records to use for their own purposes giving not a fig for you? ...would you?

...or, in the light of the satisfaction of Bruce and the JLP throwing dirt on the PNP you would allow, forgive and forget...no big thing if all of us private records are open for 'tom, dick and harry' to shuffle through?

Wah yuh seh, Maudib?

Comment

At first you hypocrites blamed an employee of the bank, but now that she is cleared unuh want to blame Bruce. When unuh ago stop acting like FOOLS? Yuh religious leaders were caught either tekking a bribe or TEIFING taxpayers' money. Address that. Yuh ever wonder how long this has been going on?

Comment

But Karl, I don't understand.. Bruce seh him is available whenever the JCF decides to investigate the matter.

No-one is objecting to a full investigation by the JCF..we encourage it.. JCF, Dutch Authorities.. bring them all on.

Are we in agreement ?

Comment

Maudib (3/12/2007)But Karl, I don't understand.. Bruce seh him is available whenever the JCF decides to investigate the matter.

No-one is objecting to a full investigation by the JCF..we encourage it.. JCF, Dutch Authorities.. bring them all on.

Are we in agreement ?
                          Dat wi are in full har-gree-ment pon! (tup)

Comment

Lazie (3/12/2007)At first you hypocrites blamed an employee of the bank,
                            I do not know who are 'you hypocrites'? What I do know is I was and am still against the idea and the actions of taking confidential documents from the bank!

The fact is they were stolen documents and in my mind it suggests documents have been stolen before and we just have not heard of it! The action was wrong! The action was criminal! I have not seen or heard anything to change my position on that!

...but now that she is cleared unuh want to blame Bruce.
                            I have no doubt I know what Bruce's agenda is. Has nothing to do with the interest of the Jamaican people. That it may be in the interest of the Jamaican people is mere co-incidence. I have not changed my position on that.

When unuh ago stop acting like FOOLS? Yuh religious leaders were caught either tekking a bribe or TEIFING taxpayers' money. Address that. Yuh ever wonder how long this has been going on?
                            You seem to forget that I acquainted you of the long history of corruption by politicians on both sides of the divide...or, are youjust blinded by your partisan positions?

I repeat what I have consistently said, if there are persons to be punished over this Trafigura affair - so let it be! Let the chips fall where they may!

Comment

Working...
                            X