X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The real Jamaican 50 Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI0VH9Bu67M

We a real comedians.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Its not the real video and looks like a parody from Itty & Fancy Cat. Yuh nuh see the Bruce Golding look a like?
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

LOL

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      True.

You have to admit, though, that along with the obvious cynicism in the video and the lyrics, this project demonstrates genuine creativity amidst the humor (lol).

Trust me, the underlying message is sad, but I’ll nevertheless be laughing all day! Talk about the paradox that is modern Jamaica.

Comment

Real comedians (lol)

How did you come across this video (lol)?

Damn, I’ve not stopped laughing all morning! Much respect to the obvious creative talents of everyone involved with this satirical look at Jamaican society! It is really funny!

Comment

Good....

Comment

I love it!!
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

How I Feel About This Project

Originally posted by HL View Post
              I love it!!
              HL, now you see why I emphasize music and culture in so many of my posts here? When Jamaicans are good, the sky is the limit… I mean….look at how these young actors have transformed a sordid situation into a scenario that makes us laugh heartily! And even the crassness is done in a tasteful manner (talk about paradox again).

Without exception, every frame of this video and every line in the song demonstrate true creativity. Much thought was clearly put into this project by Sherando, Sakina, Michael and the video director and producer, not to mention the writer of the lyrics.

The setting -- including the clothing worn -- is very colorful and the content (message, action) genuinely humorous. Using a direct reference to the previous and current ministers of culture, these young Jamaicans have successfully conveyed the crass behavior (and lack of unity) often displayed among not only poor folk downtown.

The primary weakness of this production, in my view, is the dependence on the visual element for impact. In other words, the song and its message may suffer when listened to independent of the video.

Overall, 5 stars (*****) for humor and content!

Comment

Historian this is sometimes why mi and you have fi ketup . Withou t doubt a good tune, but satire and sons like this can easily go off track if not dealt with right. Often time we ask where is the talent? but a song like this if not supported could easily end up on the dump two weeks are hitting the road(same goes for the Nando Griffiths song, by the way if you don't know, Nando is the son of champion jockey Winston Griffiths).

We have to force the DJs to support these good projects instead of Payola and friend thing or we a go ask "whe the good tune them deh".
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You are right!

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  Historian this is sometimes why mi and you have fi ketup . Withou t doubt a good tune, but satire and sons like this can easily go off track if not dealt with right. Often time we ask where is the talent? but a song like this if not supported could easily end up on the dump two weeks are hitting the road(same goes for the Nando Griffiths song, by the way if you don't know, Nando is the son of champion jockey Winston Griffiths).

We have to force the DJs to support these good projects instead of Payola and friend thing or we a go ask "whe the good tune them deh".
                  I agree with you, ‘Sass!

I’ve listened to/watched this production more than a dozen times since you posted it yesterday, and I love it even more this morning!

From the repeated opening words (“Song, song, a talk ‘bout song”) which clearly places the subject in context, to the use of symbolism (notice the “drivah” of the bus) and everything else in between, this is a work of art, in my humble opinion. Also, the allusion to the flag drama is highlighted briefly but unmistakeably via the sign on the side of the bus.

The two ladies - Sharando and Sakina - portray each minister with uncanny accuracy, down to their personas. Then, the introduction of “Bruce” with the now famous (or infamous) word “Bangarang” is dramatic irony at its best!

There is no naivete' by the songwriter and so beneath the satire is a very blunt condemnation of our political tribalism (“we politics tribal and immature….”). Also, check the definitely poetic lyrical content of Drivah’s short appeal, a message in which the wasted “opportunity to unite” theme is plainly stated.

The allusion to legendary unifying forces like Louise Bennett and Bob Marley further reinforce the irony of our situation today. And through it all, the cleverly inserted dance segments act as a beautiful and creative backdrop to the entire episode.

Finally, the people involved in this project were obviously concerned that their satire doesn’t create even further conflict, and the (commendable) disclaimer at the very end of the video should ensure this.

This is the type of material that misled members of the intelligentsia, like a certain professor at the UWI, need to analyze in detail in the press. Believe me, this is not merely a recording, it is a genuine work of art by truly talented Jamaicans, and I I love it!

P.S. Thanks for the info on Nando Griffiths; I had no idea who he was.

Comment

dem shoulda get an "older" babsy

Comment

the real BRUCE GOLDING is in hospital over seas .... Medical issues with Back. Complications after surgery here in Ja

Comment

I did find it funny. A last week dem buss it pon Full House Friday but the comedians didn't want to touch it.
                        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
                        X