High school valedictorian denied diploma for a ‘hell’ of a g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High school valedictorian denied diploma for a ‘hell’ of a g

High school valedictorian denied diploma for a ‘hell’ of a graduation speech

Kaitlin Nootbar never got a B in school, but when she admitted she didn’t know what the ‘hell’ she wanted to do with her life, the school’s principal said he wanted a written apology.

By Anthony Bartkewicz / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, August 20, 2012, 11:19 AM

#static{height:38px;} #static td{vertical-align:top !important;} #static td td{vertical-align:middle !important;} #static .fb-like iframe{width:450px !important;} #static:after{content:".";display:block;height:0;c lear:both;visibility:hidden;}

Kaitlin Nootbaar via Facebook

Kaitlin Nootbaar told her classmates she wasn’t sure what the ‘hell’ she wanted to do.

Kaitlin Nootbaar graduated her Oklahoma high school as valedictorian, and she’s gearing up to start college on a full scholarship. Yet she still doesn’t have her high school diploma.

What the hell?

During her graduation speech at Prague High School in May, Kaitlin dropped an innocuous H-bomb, and the school wants her to apologize, KFOR-TV reported.

“Her quote was, when she first started school she wanted to be a nurse, then a veterinarian and now that she was getting closer to graduation people would ask her ‘what do you want to do?’” Kaitlin’s father David explained. “And she said, ‘How the hell do I know? I’ve changed my mind so many times.”

Kaitlin borrowed the joke from the “Twilight” movie “Eclipse.” Her dad said she wrote “heck” in her speech, but said “hell” – to laughter and applause from her graduating classmates.

But when Nootbaar and his daughter went to the school this week to pick up her certificate, he told KFOR, “the principal said ‘Your diploma is right here but you’re not getting it. Close the door, we have a problem.”

The problem was the word “hell,” and the principal demanded an apology letter before he would hand over Kaitlin’s diploma.

Kaitlin believes she did nothing wrong and doesn’t plan to apologize.

“She earned that diploma,” her dad fumed. “She completed all the state curriculum. In four years she has never made a B. She got straight A’s and had a 4.0 the whole way through.”

Prague High School declined to comment, telling the Daily News the issue was confidential and no one was allowed to address it.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Idiot Principal. I would not be apologizing. Him luck she never said "how the FCUK do I know".
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
      Idiot Principal. I would not be apologizing. Him luck she never said "how the FCUK do I know".
      Hell is a swear word in the South. The irony is that the school's sports logo The Red Devils. I wonder where the devils comes from - Hell?
      The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Working...
      X