X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KD & Caricom to investigate police killings

CARICOM names KD Knight, Wolfe to probe Guyana police killings

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...olice-killings
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Ironic, Isn't It?

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
    CARICOM names KD Knight, Wolfe to probe Guyana police killings
    This situation in Linden is more serious than many CARICOM people probably realize! However, my question is this: Will anything come of this commission? Does anything ever come of such commissions, aside from a drain on the public purse?

Also, isn’t it ironic that two thirds of the commission is from a country (Jamaica) in which the actions of the police most closely resemble the actions traditionally displayed by the Guyanese police? I could say more on the selection of commissioners, but this time I won’t.

Finally, is it realistic to expect the PPP government to act decisively against members of its police force, particularly when the victims are desperately poor black Guyanese from a town (Linden) that has traditionally been regarded by some as a trouble spot, and which has in the past tended to largely support the PNC (the party favored by Guyanese blacks)?

For those of us familiar with Guyana, that is a beautiful South American country in which the racial tensions between the majority Indians and the minority blacks have always been simmering. Remember those general elections in the 1990s?

During his terms as president of Guyana, Bharrat Jagdeo, I feel, made commendable efforts to unify the country, and indeed the country experienced marked economic growth during his two-plus terms. But the underlying racial tensions have always been there.

Guyana was once the “breadbasket” of the Caribbean, but has only recently begun to recover from the well-intentioned but failed nationalistic policies of the late Forbes Burnham. Now this! It is sad.

Comment

Still thinking about this

Hortical, I’m sure that you, and others here, realize the irony of this situation! I am not saying that the choice of commissioners is a bad thing, because these are highly experienced legal minds who are without doubt among the best in CARICOM. Rather, I am simply commenting on....let us say, context.

Comment

Just some more money in some people's pocket. Will anything come of it! Sigh
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Absolutely, there is a lot of irony here and a biblical verse comes to mind.
          How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

You Got It!

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
            Absolutely, there is a lot of irony here and a biblical verse comes to mind.
            Originally posted by Hortical
            How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?
            Very relevant quote from the Bible, boss!

That verse you quoted in your post sums it up perfectly! And it’s not just the case of the Jamaican commissioners: look where the third commissioner is likely to come from (lol)!!

Comment

experience ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
              X