• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Honours? - Frater, Carter deserve honour

Frater, Carter deserve honour

Published: Saturday | August 25, 2012

THE EDITOR, Sir:
    Recently, the following information was brought to my attention: "In 2008, Jamaica set the 4x100m world record for the first time: 37.10 with Nesta Carter, Michael Frater, Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell.

"Fast-forward to 2012 and the world record is now 36.84 with Carter, Frater, Yohan Blake and Bolt; and most people think, 'Wow! Blake and Bolt sure are fast.'

"Guess what? Relative to the same legs from 2008, Blake and Bolt were actually slower. On the third leg, Blake 2012 was 0.1s slower than Bolt 2008, and on anchor leg, Bolt 2012 was 0.1s slower than Powell 2008. The difference? Nesta Carter and Michael Frater were both faster.

"Carter took an astonishing 0.3+s off his 2008 lead-off leg time and Frater went sub-9.0, taking 0.1s off his 2008 second leg. These two men, stalwarts of Jamaican track and field, are the ones that stepped up and made the difference.

"Unheralded by many, unrecognised for their contribution, they both played a tremendous role in Jamaica being the first team to ever go sub-37 seconds in the 4x100m relay."

Assuming the above to be accurate, on the basis of that information and the basis of the sustained brilliance of these two gentlemen in their performances on the track, and their exemplary conduct as sporting ambassadors of Jamaica over many years, I now advocate that, at the earliest opportunity, both Michael Frater and Nesta Carter be conferred with a national honour above the Order of Distinction (which they currently have) by a grateful country.

CLARENCE W. WALKER
    Judge of the Court of Appeal (Retired)

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2.../letters3.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Good point.

Comment

An Interesting Point!

Interesting point! I never thought of it in this way.

In addition, of course, both Carter and Frater were on last year’s world record-setting team in Daegu. So, while they rarely get anything approaching the accolades given to Bolt and Blake, the fact is that Nesta Carter and Michael Frater have been members of all three world record Jamaican relay teams.

Comment

Order of Distinction is enough

Comment

Like I said...Bolt got the stick first...

Comment

That's right!

Originally posted by Exile View Post
            Like I said...Bolt got the stick first...
            That’s right! In fact, looking at the most recent relays (London Olympics), if a healthy Asafa Powell was on anchor and Bolt was absent from the team, Jamaica would, no doubt, still have won the gold and broken the world record. A healthy Asafa is superior to Ryan Bailey at the present time.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              Frater, Carter deserve honour

Published: Saturday | August 25, 2012

THE EDITOR, Sir:
              Recently, the following information was brought to my attention: "In 2008, Jamaica set the 4x100m world record for the first time: 37.10 with Nesta Carter, Michael Frater, Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell.

"Fast-forward to 2012 and the world record is now 36.84 with Carter, Frater, Yohan Blake and Bolt; and most people think, 'Wow! Blake and Bolt sure are fast.'

"Guess what? Relative to the same legs from 2008, Blake and Bolt were actually slower. On tnhe third leg, Blake 2012 was 0.1s slower than Bolt 2008, and on anchor leg, Bolt 2012 was 0.1s slower than Powell 2008. The difference? Nesta Carter and Michael Frater were both faster.

"Carter took an astonishing 0.3+s off his 2008 lead-off leg time and Frater went sub-9.0, taking 0.1s off his 2008 second leg. These two men, stalwarts of Jamaican track and field, are the ones that stepped up and made the difference.

"Unheralded by many, unrecognised for their contribution, they both played a tremendous role in Jamaica being the first team to ever go sub-37 seconds in the 4x100m relay."

Assuming the above to be accurate, on the basis of that information and the basis of the sustained brilliance of these two gentlemen in their performances on the track, and their exemplary conduct as sporting ambassadors of Jamaica over many years, I now advocate that, at the earliest opportunity, both Michael Frater and Nesta Carter be conferred with a national honour above the Order of Distinction (which they currently have) by a grateful country.

CLARENCE W. WALKER
              Judge of the Court of Appeal (Retired)

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2.../letters3.html
              My friend Little Franno (MVP female coach) published those stats on his facebook page a few days and caught fire from some of his facebook friends. The stats mark the point when the baton passes the 100m mark. I think there were slow down between Frater and Blake and then Blake and Bolt. Blake was goofing around when Frater was flying in for a landing and the Blake/Bolt baton was slow and could not pass the ISSA Champs standard.
              The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

[ The stats mark the point when the baton passes the 100m mark.]

tell them again

Comment

so, what is ur point?

Comment

others here believe it is where/when they collect the baton...timing begins

Comment

OK, but what does that have to do with the possible Nat awards?

Comment

just responding to time............ask him

Comment

Re: ...the baton passes the 100m mark. - Are you sure?

Originally posted by Skeng D View Post
                          [ The stats mark the point when the baton passes the 100m mark.]

tell them again
                          Just to remind - We are 'talking' on/about 'splits' here...right?

Soooo - First: Are you sure of that?

Second: ...and when does that timing cease?

Finally - This is a 2-in-one question: How would you time a runner whose actual covered leg (say 2nd leg runner) is less than 100M...who received the baton beyond the 100M mark (and naturally before exiting the exchange zone)?

...and what if that same runner (2nd leg runner) handed over the baton before he had 'hit' the new leg's (3rd leg runner's) 100M mark?

Is it "matters not"...although another had the baton at that 100M mark and before the outgoing runner received same? ...and similarily at the end of the runner's leg the baton is delivered/exchanged (in the 3rd leg runner's hand) before hitting the 100M mark?

Not saying a thing...Just asking 'yuh sure'/how would that split be timed?!!!

*The exchange zones are 20 meters long - sooooooo for example, the 2nd leg runner could receive the baton from 'the starter' say 4 meters before the end of the 1st exchange zone i.e near end of exchange zone...and deliver same 4 meters after the beginning of the 2nd exchange zone i.e. near beginning of exchange zone to the 3rd leg runner.
                          Last edited by Karl; August 28, 2012, 01:25 AM.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                          X