Big Double Standard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Double Standard!

The governing party is caught either taking a bribe or teifing taxpayers' money yet unthinking people insist on keeping them in power, yet a likkle police bwoy duh the same thing and .....

The 11 members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force who were served notices in 2005 that they were to be retired in the public interest for alleged criminal activities will remain on the job until their appeal has been heard and determined.

President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Paul Harrison, granted them a stay of execution of a Supreme Court order which had upheld their dismissal notices.

Remain on the job

Attorney-at-law Arthur Kitchin, who is representing the policemen and women, said yesterday that the stay meant they will remain on the job, pending the outcome of the appeal.

The 11 were notified in December 2005 that they were to be retired in the public interest, but challenged the decision of the Police Services Commission in the Supreme Court.

The Police Services Commission decided on December 16, 2005, that the police personnel were to be retired because of their alleged involvement in illegal activities. It was alleged that some of them were involved in a drug-smuggling ring which gave protection to drug couriers travelling through the airports.

Some of the defendants were attached to the Narcotics Division's branch in Montego Bay, while others were attached to other police units in the second city. They are Det. Sgt. Dalton Samuels; Cpl. Norma Porter-Thaxter; Det. Cpl. Ryan Dwyer;corporals Enos Williams, Teeshan Gordon and Joy Streete; and constables Kenneth Brown, Oral Hylton, Owen Condell, Dwayne Mullings and Elvid Vassell.

Kitchin had argued before Justice Marva McIntosh in the Judicial Review Court in February that the cases should have been prosecuted in the courts, because the allegations were criminal in nature.

The judge dismissed the motion and upheld the dismissal notices.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Big Double Standard!

Lazie I know that you are not advocating that the government allow officers deemed to be ethically challenged to remain on the force because of your perception of the government. This actually needs to be more widespread and go higher up the ranks of the police force in order for them to be able to address the corruption issue plaguing the force.

Comment

<DIV>
      Briggie (3/22/2007)Lazie I know that you are not advocating that the government allow officers deemed to be ethically challenged to remain on the force because of your perception of the government. This actually needs to be more widespread and go higher up the ranks of the police force in order for them to be able to address the corruption issue plaguing the force.
      </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>By the way, welcome to the forum, Briggie. I'm assuming you are somewhat new here as I'm not familiar with the name.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>I hope you are not the orange equivalent of my shower-green pal, Lazie. "Perception of government" - are you serious? So, this corruption is only Lazie's or my perception?!?!</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>In a decent society the policemen would be fired and many of our politicians voted out of office or forced to resign. Some would even spend time in prison.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>I see not even T&amp;T can get criminal charges to stick with Panday. It must be a Caribbean thing. Did Panday commit the crime or did he not?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>sigh</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Lazie advocating no such thing. All I'm saying is the head of the stream is dirty, why people only want to address corruption in the force? I told you the other day ... be consistent.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
        X