• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cricket, aeroplanes, and poverty

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>Dennis Chung
    Friday, March 23, 2007
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>A recent article in Forbes magazine looked at what some of the world's billionaires drive. Of course at the top of the list were Bill Gates and Warren Buffett. Gates drives a 1999 Porsche 911 and a 1988 Porsche 959 coupe. Buffett drives a 2001 Lincoln Town car with the words THRIFTY on the licence plate. The magazine also states that the trend noticed is that billionaires tend not to focus on material possessions such as cars, which depreciate, but rather tend to put their resources and efforts into their businesses.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Recently, I was having a discussion with a well-known Jamaican, who commented that while working in Trinidad in the 1980s, it was very obvious to him that instead of buying fancy cars and houses, as Jamaicans do, what Trinidadians did was to retool their factories and spend most of their money on modernising the businesses. Well, they became the manufacturers for CARICOM and we had FINSAC. This is not to justify the manner with which a Trinidadian, recently being interviewed by Cliff Hughes, pompously stated that the agreement to supply LNG to Jamaica was an MOU and therefore not binding on either party. What happened to the word of a government? Doesn't that mean anything anymore? I am sure that this is not the sentiment of the prime minister, and people like that should be banned from speaking for fear of reversing our CARICOM efforts.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Resource usage<P class=StoryText align=justify>These two accounts bring to the forefront the relationship between cricket, aeroplanes, and poverty, in the Jamaican context. They all compete for the same resources. Of course in true Jamaican style, cricket and aeroplanes (Air Jamaica) get the lion's share, while poverty continues to increase because it is deprived of resources as a result of cricket and aeroplanes. I can say this for the politicians who that are afraid to because it might cost them votes, as no one is going to vote for me.<P class=StoryText align=justify>On the day of the opening ceremony at the expensive Trelawny multi-purpose stadium, TVJ covered this magnificent affair, with all the Jamaicans present enjoying themselves immensely. In true Jamaican style, we showed the world that we know how to party. Two stories later I saw an elderly teary-eyed lady saying that she fell down carrying water in a bucket to her home, because there was no running water. Still another report showed a man saying that his car had been damaged by the police who had borrowed it to chase thieves on many occasions, as they had no vehicle, and he was having difficulty being compensated.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Now this is the same country where we spend J$9 billion to host world cup cricket, and maybe about J$2 - J$3 billion on the Trelawny stadium. This is the same country that has a national airline that lost US$153 million (J$10 billion) in 2006, and US$120 million (J$8 billion) in 2005. This is the same country that runs a sugar company that loses hundreds of millions of dollars each year. As the celebrated IMF report states in paragraph 14 ".the data indicate that the deficit of the JUTC exceeded planned amounts by three-fold; that of the sugar company exceeded planned amounts by almost seven-fold; and that of Air Jamaica has been more than double the expected amount. Altogether, the excesses of these three enterprises amount to almost 1 per cent of GDP this year."<P class=StoryText align=justify>In addition to all these losses, we spend J$ billions on a stadium to host an opening ceremony and some warm-up matches, and which might have some positive revenue impact in the future. In the present, though, the old lady can continue to carry the water, and fall down while doing it, because the money has to be spent on cricket, aeroplanes, and sugar t
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Cricket, aeroplanes, and poverty

A last Sunday mi a say the same thing at a family get together. One was like Gregory Issacs ... "One man against the world!" Then again, Lazie back broad.

Dennis Chung simply prove that there are thinking people still in Jamaica.

"I am not saying that we should not have hosted the opening ceremony and the cricket matches, but why not spend J$1.5 billion or J$2 billion less and fix up the national stadium for the opening ceremony?"
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

sigh. what else mi can duh, but sigh.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Him figet bout the brand new BMW's - but those probably were gifts and won't cost taxpayers aything:w00t:
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

The fact is if we had grown our GDP and productivity over the year world cup cricket would not have cost us a cent. We could afford to upkeep Sabina and build a new stadium long time.

We tend to think too much for today and not about tommorrow and next year so we have to fill pot holes always.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I do believe that our penchant for consumerism as a people, not limited solely to the business class, is a significant reason for where we are but to change that requires a change in values. And we as a nation need to be willing to bite the bullet and make the hard choices. Politics can not be the prime consideration in decision-making. Air Jamaica has never been profitable based upon my knowledge but as Chung himself states it's net value to the country is positive. I think one has to carefully consider the impact of not being able to control access to arguably our most important industry, tourism. In regards to the cricket expenditure, as a developing country we will always have the option of spending our scarce resources on items deemedbasic and fundamental. However if a person is in personal debt it doesn't mean they can not go out to a restaurant for dinner every now and then or spend money on themselves that is not necessary. It's a matter of the impact on the psyche of the person or in this case on a nation. Simply speaking the analysis should not be strictly a dollars and cents analysis. In addition the verdict is out as to whether this expenditure will prove to be wasteful or a smart investment. Let's revisit this twenty years from now. Chung's declaration that the event does not add long-term value is premature.

Comment

Balla ... ah mean .. Briggie yuh actually post that with a straight face?

Am I the only one who get the impression that Briggie and Balla related?

Comment

<DIV>
                Briggie (3/23/2007)</DIV><DIV>Air Jamaica has never been profitable based upon my knowledge but as Chung himself states it's net value to the country is positive.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Chung's declaration that the event does not add long-term value is premature.
                </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>So, should we believe Chung or not?</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Chung have nothing to prove as the judgement will in the future. In the short term it is a lot to law out and if the money was used in other venture could bring more to the Jamaican shores? Then again we lock up 75 million in good year St.Thomas without a question or a minister been fired.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I'm merely using Chung's statements to make my point. Lazie you disagree but haven't bothered to site specifically what you disagree with. You musn't let your disdain for the present government allow you to believe that nothing is right with Jamaica. The country is not where we want it to be but embracing blind negativism for the sake of political expedience doesn't move us forward either. I am not willing to simply sit on the sidelines like many of us do and tear downJamaica.

Comment

Do you recognize that a critical component of moving forward is cleaning the head of the stream.. which means removing post haste the 17 year monster currently mismanaging the country ?

Before one can fix something, one must be able to recognize the problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X