Gov Senator proposes remittance tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov Senator proposes remittance tax

KINGSTON, Jamaica - Government Senator, Floyd Morris, is proposing that a levy of approximately five per cent is placed on all remittances as an additional source of funding for the education sector.
    “This is likely to yield US$100 million or JA$9 billion. The proceeds must be used to fund educational activities being implemented by the National Education Trust (NET),” he said.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz28CCz2P20
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Wishful thinking....Western Union get their cut or the Banks now the Politician wants some...tek man fi idiat!!

Comment

He just won the knuckle head award....

Comment

If they even tax remittances it is not going towards education. They certainly can and I see this as an avenue in the not so distance future, maybe in the next budget because it is easier to collect than most of the other taxes.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

How will they collect if people stop sending? Or use other less visible mean like say debit cards? I think its idiotic at best. What if I have a joint account in Jamaica? That will be double taxed?

Comment

You think the double tax really matter to government as long as they can collect it?

People might make a stink but most still have to support their family etc. The government know that there may not be nothing more than a 5% drop at most. The thing is they may not start with 5% but I bet they will start with about 2%
            Last edited by Assasin; October 2, 2012, 10:59 PM.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

They should try to collect tax from people in Jamaica first...not the working class who have to pay through PAYE but our good friends and family - the professionals, businesspersons, the gormandizers of the society.

Comment

That is true but what is the percentage of business people in Jamaica paying for licenses? The taxes have to come from somewhere and it is easier to collect from Wetern Union and the bank, just as it easier to put it on phone calls and make the price higher for us to call Jamaica. The diaspora going to be the next feeding cow for government as they fail to collect taxes locally.

Comment

No idea of the percentage of people paying for licenses, do you? They won't get a cent since I use FREE internet phone to call Ja, US, Canada...not Magic Jack...much better...
                  I am not against some of the Diaspora making a contribution, especially those who want to VOTE, and represent and be a part of the political process. Many others make their contribution, not only in 'remittances' but paying taxes, business registrations etc etc. Legitimate and fair means should be used to collect these sums.
                  The sad fact is that the majority of resident Jamaicans who don't PAYE don't pay real taxes. All governments have failed and or supported the status quo.

Comment

More money to waste

Comment

less than 10% of professionals pay any fees the last time I heard. The contribution you are talking about is indirect and government want money, direct. They can't raise GCT, they will be raising land taxes and where else can they get more taxes locally? The business and tourism a go bawl.

Who else they have to tax. They rush Digicel and had to back off, they just cancel the bauxite levy to the Russian company tonight to stay open. Where is the money coming from? The may try the Diaspora bond but that is loan and they still need money. I can just hear the finance ministry saying "HHHmm" to that idea

Comment

That would be the height of slackness!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                          KINGSTON, Jamaica - Government Senator, Floyd Morris, is proposing that a levy of approximately five per cent is placed on all remittances as an additional source of funding for the education sector.
                          “This is likely to yield US$100 million or JA$9 billion. The proceeds must be used to fund educational activities being implemented by the National Education Trust (NET),” he said.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz28CCz2P20
                          That would be an unfair tax burden on the poor. The richer people use checks, bank accounts etc. Poor man can't wait for checks to clear! No poor people tax!!!!!!!!
                          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

All the above reasons given = Knuckle head....

Comment

Famous line: "I love the poor."

Darn outrageous, people already paying to send the little pittance to family, friends, schools etc. The money not even enough and now them want to tax it.
                              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                              X