• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerns about increase in lawyers

http://rjrnewsonline.com/local/conce...ase-in-lawyers
    Concerns about increase in lawyers

5:33 pm, Fri October 5, 2012

Chairman of the General Legal Council, Michael Hylton Q.C, is raising concerns about the increasing number of lawyers graduating annually from the Norman Manley Law School.

Mr. Hylton, a former solicitor general, called for institutional strengthening, as one measure to deal with the ever increasing number of persons, seeking to join what is an already competitive profession.

Mr. Hylton, who was a guest at Friday's RJR News Forum says the General Legal Council, GLC has no control over the number of candidates admitted to the Law School.

At the same time he says graduate lawyers cannot be denied entry to the profession because of the high number of lawyers currently practising.

Mr. Hylton says among the concerns are the ability to absorb the ever increasing number of graduates:

"The Council is very concerned at the increase. and I make a disctinction between the number and the increase because there has been a fairly sharp imcrease in the number of lawyers in a very short time, and we're concerned firstly that the law school infrastructire has not been adequately increased to deal with the training of the lawyers, of students who are becoming lawyers, and we're concerned with the profession and the industry's ability to absorb the increase and the pace at which it is happening."

He also noted that there's an increase in the number of lawyers graduating who are unable to find employment and have gone on to start their own businesses.

The GLC Chairman does not believe this is a desirable trend.

He added that while there's no mandated period of apprenticeship, it is advisable that graduate lawyers have the guidance of their senior colleagues.

The GLC is charged with the responsibility of approving lawyers to be admitted to practice.

It also issues certificates confirming that a graduate is a fit and proper person to be admitted to the profession.

Change the funding policy to reflect the type of graduates we want! Simples!

Comment

From time to time we see what jobs will be needed in the USA in the near future, helping students decide what they should pursue. I can't recall seeing something similar for Jamaica.

Could some university professor/student take up the challenge and let us know?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yet lawyers routinely overcharge people in Jamaica for the simplest of services.

Some of them are downright criminal in the way they do business.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

yep. That is why you have so much demand. Once a lawyer you can start your own thing. It is a wild west. They overcharge and promise things that they can't deliver. It is also easy for them to get into politics. It is hard to twll the students the demand is not there when they see how others are "making it".

Sorry Gamma, I know there are a lot of honest ones out there and working hard but so many give a noble profession bad name.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Good idea...Planning institute/Bureau of Standards/Capri?

Comment

Exactly! Maybe not BoS, but you'd expect the other two to assist in guiding our students. We can't all be lawyers, sprinters and DJs!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

This data is usually tracked and compiled by the Commerce Ministry/Labour Ministry or some agency under them. Bureau of Statistics normally helps.

Dunno why I typed standards and not statistics.

Comment

Maybe you were not dressed in black?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

planning and keeping records is a very sore point in Jamaica.

places like HEART do a little bit but not no where near the scale it should be done.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Or maybe I was?

LoL

Comment

Its the GOJ's crime strategy.

More lawyah is the logical way to deal with a surge in crime, no?

Comment

how so? see how many lawyers have been convicted and de-bar in the last few years.

Comment

Wah mi di seh?
                            Export dem!!! ...Tek een more...Graduate more! Export dem!!! ...an nuh Lawyah ongle!

Look ow many a wi deh ha-broad? Yuh tink hit woudda nice iffen di ole a wi Jamaican di deh a yaard? ...train wi! Graduate wi! ..an hexport nuh, nuh a wi! Bout braindrain (nearest to kis-teet emoticon mi fine!) Wah man caan duh, nedda man caan duh betta!!!
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

There is a difference between Brain Drain and Export.. you keep confusing the two..

how you cannot see this is a mystery.. then again.. maybe not..

Comment

Working...
                              X