• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diaspora links press showing off Ja!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...12311#49312311

It Helps

Thanks for posting this, Stonigut.

Both Lester and Jenna have Jamaican roots, with Jenna actually being born in Jamaica, as I believe was mentioned on this forum recently. However, this MSNBC exercise program was simply part of an ongoing series, with different locations as the setting. This was summed up by Jenna when she stated, “Until we see you next time, from another island.”

Nevertheless, we have to welcome stuff like this because, thanks to Jamaicans, the picture emanating from our island nation is definitely not pretty at all! While several Caribbean islands are being impacted by serious crimes (Trinidad, Guyana, the Bahamas, and St. Lucia in particular), none of these countries experience anything even remotely approaching the horrendous magnitude as Jamaica does, and has been doing progressively since the late 1970s (that Orange Street fire of 1976 is my benchmark)!

So, these “little” international mass media episodes will be of some benefit to Jamaica in that they make even more viewers aware of an island paradise called Jamaica. Of course, these “episodes” by no means approach the massive advertisement given by home-based, native Jamaicans like Usain Bolt, Yohan Blake, Shelly-Ann Fraser, Melaine Walker, Brigitte Foster-Hylton, Michael Frater, etc., but in the bigger picture, such exposure given by this MSNBC workout session helps.

Comment

It is interesting to see programs like that, it gives a strange sort of inside outside view that we normally don't get. Actually surprised me a little as I was actually scanning through the tv and saw these two people exercising, my brain didn't focus on the two people at all, but as I was quickly flipping through and in the micro second the mountain across the water with the solitary multistory building caught my eye, so I flipped back and realized that it was Jamaica and they were filming from what seemed to be Morgan's harbour with the forum hotel building across the bay and the portmore hill behind that. Then realized Jenna and Lester, she is hardcore, did you see that, she is super competitive, like that!

Comment

I Understand and Agree

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
        It is interesting to see programs like that, it gives a strange sort of inside outside view that we normally don't get. Actually surprised me a little as I was actually scanning through the tv and saw these two people exercising, my brain didn't focus on the two people at all, but as I was quickly flipping through and in the micro second the mountain across the water with the solitary multistory building caught my eye, so I flipped back and realized that it was Jamaica and they were filming from what seemed to be Morgan's harbour with the forum hotel building across the bay and the portmore hill behind that. Then realized Jenna and Lester, she is hardcore, did you see that, she is super competitive, like that!
        Stoni, I fully agree with you that Jenna is super competitive. I also fully understand your reaction when you first spotted the mountain, the water and the single building.

In my case, even a simple mention of the word “Jamaica” or “Jamaicans” in the foreign media sparks my interest, and I immediately pay close attention. The truth is that I cannot get enough of Jamaica in the foreign press (the positive aspects, of course).

For example, just a few days ago I felt really good after watching a re-broadcast of Andrew Zimmern’s program, “Bizarre Foods” on TheTravel Channel. The pride I felt at the cultural aspects of that particular episode cannot easily be described!

Thanks once again for posting this interesting MSNBC video,boss.

Comment

Working...
        X