Evaluating Our Heroes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaluating Our Heroes

Please Note: For the sake of brevity here, several paragraphs from Orville Taylor's commentary have been omitted in this post of mine. For the complete article go to The Sunday Gleaner (http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...us/focus3.html )

Were all our heroes really heroic?
    Busta, Manley don't qualify

Published: Sunday | October 14, 2012

In this 1963 Gleaner photograph, Prime Minister Alexander Bustamante (right) greets cousin and Opposition Leader Norman Manley at South Parade. At left is JDF chief of staff, Brigadier Paul Crook.

Orville Taylor, Contributor

Once more, National Heroes Day is upon us, and with the parades and official statements, the dignitaries dust off the sepulchres and polish the monuments of the seven people whom we call heroes and heroine.

Then the debate goes on as to who should be added to the list. Bob Marley is often mooted, along with Michael Manley and even His Excellency the Honourable Usain St Leo Bolt, PhD (Hons), is said to have performed enough 'heroics' in the Olympics and World Championships in Athletics to merit inclusion. Last week, both Houses of Parliament joined to honour the Most Honourable Edward Philip George Seaga and each party blinkered and blinded itself to the differences between them, on such an august occasion in October.

Outside the legislature, the worshippers and detractors are having a ball or two, about the deference to the 'Honourable Eddie Blinds', arguing whether or not he should be elevated to national hero. My response to that is a flat no. However, it is not simply that he doesn't match up to the current pantheon of heroes that we have. Indeed, as regards at least two, he has qualified. Rather, it is that there are some who are not, in my opinion, heroic figures, however much the historians and kingmakers enshrine them to be.

TRAITS OF A HERO
    Thus, a hero seems to need the following elements: first, he must be brave with a purpose. He is not reckless, but faces known danger and does so in order to achieve something larger than his own ambition. Abnegation and altruism, while willing to suffer losses for the greater good of others, are what make a hero.

Oftentimes confused with a hero is a martyr. The martyr is "one who willingly gives up his life for his beliefs". Thus, the countless Christians who were murdered by the biblical Romans and the suicide bombers who do so in the name of Islam today are. Nevertheless, a martyr is not a hero, because in his mind, he is going to benefit in the afterlife for his giving up this one.
    Therefore, martyrdom is not a selfless act, but is purposeful and selfish because it carries perceived benefits for the 'sacrificant'.

Heroes make self-sacrifices for others to gain, with little or nothing in it for them. So, in that light, we ask, are our seven heroic? Well, it is not certain what exactly is truth and what is myth about Queen Nanny. One who fights for her freedom does what is natural. And to lead her fellowmen might be heroic. Nonetheless, clearly, she was fighting for her own freedom and thus had much to gain.

Samuel Sharpe made a clear and personal choice when he led an ill-fated Christmas Rebellion. Yet, his own words for which he is famous disqualify him. "I'd rather die on yonder gallows, than to live in slavery," is not a rallying cry, but for me, a statement of resignation and fatalism. The question would be, was Sharpe's uprising an attempt to secure his freedom or that of others, or was he simply rebelling, hoping to take a few of the oppressors with him as he died as his escape route from his enslavement. How different was his riot from that of prisoners with life sentences, who lead violent outbreaks?

I find no distinction between the 1830s Sharpe massacre and the 1760 Tacky war, except that nobody gave St Mary a second city. Tacky has every right to hero status as Sharpe, because he fought a valiant battle, which ultimately led to his execution by the British colonials.

By that same standard, we judge Paul Bogle. While, he fought the colonials literally, there is no evidence that when he led the march into the town it was for the purposes of a battle. Even today, peaceful protests in St Thomas are noted for erupting in unplanned violence between the state agents and the citizens. Nonetheless, if it can be shown that Bogle did reasonably believe that he could be killed for standing up for the rights of others, then he is doubtlessly heroic.

Despite Dick standing against my view, George William Gordon was sacrificial because he took on a fight that he didn't truly have to. Dick argues that he was elected to the legislature by local Baptists, whose interests he represented in the House. However, given that universal suffrage was not until 80-plus years later, it cannot be assumed that the majority of his electors were the poor blacks, whom he spoke up for. Nonetheless, Gordon paid with his life.

FAILED WORKING CLASS
    Categorically, Alexander Bustamante and Norman Manley do not qualify as heroes. One who offers himself for public office, is elected by the people and given state power cannot be a hero for doing just that. In any event, that they both failed the working class miserably and did nothing to reduce poverty means that they do not even get passing grades as heads of government.

By the way, Manley is the one who prosecuted Marcus Garvey for simply stating that judges should be fair and honest. Heroic Manley made him get a short prison sentence and was instrumental in his being unable to take his seat in the 1930 municipal elections. And Bustamante's chest-baring incident was dumb (read: show), as no right-minded black constable would shoot deputy-white Bustamante. It should be noted that Bustamante did not initiate or lead the 1938 labour riots.

We are then left with Marcus Garvey. Did he take risks? Did he take on an enemy that could destroy him? And did he do so for the good of all and not his own benefit? You know where my votes are.

Dr Orville Taylor is senior lecturer in sociology at the UWI and a radio talk-show host. Email feedback to columns@gleanerjm.com and tayloronblackline@hotmail.com.

Thought provoking. Cant say I agree with all of his conclusions.

For example He seems to disqualify Sharpe based on one statement when all that I have read suggests that the rebellion was about slaves freeing themselves and not becoming martyrs. BTW didnt Sharpe make that statement AFTER he was captured and sentenced to death? Context matters.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      Despite Dick standing against my view, George William Gordon was sacrificial because he took on a fight that he didn't truly have to. Dick argues that he was elected to the legislature by local Baptists, whose interests he represented in the House. However, given that universal suffrage was not until 80-plus years later, it cannot be assumed that the majority of his electors were the poor blacks, whom he spoke up for. Nonetheless, Gordon paid with his life.
      And for this reason, Dr. Carolyn Gomes deserves Hero status! Or do we have to wait until she is assassinated by some cop?

And that is why Hero Peter qualifies in my book as well. Imagine taking on the largest crime syndicate in the Western Hemisphere! What are the risks involved? Could he have been taken out by one of them?

I agree with Dr. Taylor. Some of those heroes should not be there.

I like when we can look back at our heritage, on our national symbols, to those things that were handed down to us by some nervous St. Andrew politicians, not on some divine tablet. Thankfully, we revised the meaning of the colour black in the flag. The original meaning was assinine (spelling mine for emphasis) to say the least! Dr. Cooper has taken up where I have left off and has begun to question that idiotic motto. I have often wondered why the national flower is more like a tree than a flower! As for the national tree, has anyone ever seen one?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Agree with you on that Sharpe thing as well...
        The National Hero thing was more about shaping our own identity and finding locals who could serve as an inspiration for our people...ie telling our own stories rather than those of our colonial ex-masters. From that perspective, it was good and I'm sure there are probably many more that could be added to the list - using the same metric used for the earlier selections.
        Some of our National Heroes were indeed in a privileged class (Politicians) although one may have had a larger input in shaping the constitution and in the transition for our independence.
        Calls for Bolt should remain just that - he is a track star, benefiting from his exploits albeit wearing our national colours esp. every four years. His exploits are renowned and we should sing his songs of praises - a National Hero he is not - well not yet anyways.

Bob Marley - one of the most influential musician/artiste/philosopher on the Jamaican psyche in the 70's era till his death and possibly more so after his death. His was a fight for justice and seeking a space for expression of the oppressed, not only in Jamaica but certainly in the struggles against racism and colonialism in Africa and the freedom movement. He certainly was a pragmatist more than we may admit because he was able to transgress Babylon as he sought to reform but still realizing he was a part of the system while being apart. National Hero - he has my vote, but then I don't know how these heroes are selected.

I would select also a very unknown person who impacted the lives of thousands of Jamaicans, most of whom, if not all, are positive contributing members of society (including me...lol..) - wherever they are - Miss Bygrave (late) of May Pen Primary School...an amazing educator, young ahead of her time, taken away early....unsung National hero.

Comment

Lignum Vitae - don't touch that one. The "wood of life". need I say more?

Comment

FYI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignum_vitae

Comment

National tree - yes! Flower? Not sure at all!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

...and you would prefer the...????

Comment

I don't know. Will do some research and come up with my choice for national flower.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                    Lignum Vitae - don't touch that one. The "wood of life". need I say more?
                    That's certainly not the "wood of life"

Dat grown pon man and flower inna woman

Flowers tuh di whirl!!
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Look for an endemic species...pick one...haffi get the local name..

Among over 900 vascular plant species unique to Jamaica are the palms Thrinax excelsa (Wikipedia), Calyptronoma occidentalis (PACSOA), and Roystonea princeps (flickr). Endemic orchids include Tolumnia triquetra (IOPSE), Broughtonia sanguinea (flickr), Pleurothallis hirsutula (IOPSE), and Lepanthes obtusa (IOPSE). Other endemic plants include a cactus Disocactus alatus (Cal's Plant of the Week), a bromeliad Tillandsia adamsii (fcbs), Wercklea flavovirens (ARKive), the Aluminum Plant Pilea grandifolia (TopTropicals.com), Carica jamaicensis (ARKive), and Brunfelsia jamaicensis (ARKive). Endemic plant genera include Portlandia (ARKive), Salpixantha (Tree of Life), Tetrasiphon (ARKive), Acanthodesmos (JSTOR), Zemisia (Internet Archive), Odontocline (NYBG as Senecio tercentenariae), and Dendrocousinsia (Internet Archive).

source:http://lntreasures.com/jamaica.html

Comment

Lol. You must always look to nature for inspiration....

1. "Lignum vitae" is Latin for "wood of life"

2. "This wood was once very important for applications requiring a material with its extraordinary combination of strength, toughness and density".

although...

3. "Demand for the wood has been reduced by modern materials science, which has led to polymer, alloys and composite materials which can take lignum vitae's place".

and remember:
                        4. "..Lignum vitae is also one of the numerous hard, dense woods loosely referred to as ironwood".
                        and,

5, "hard and durable, and is also the densest wood traded; it will easily sink in water".

6. locals used this wood for wine production

7. the wood is self-lubricating and was widely used in water lubricated shaft bearing.

woeeeiii

Comment

How bout some research on how to get us out of the hole we are in???? LoL

All this pontification should be directed at useful priorities.

Ah Dr Taylor yuh call him? LoL

Ah long time mi know Orville (Jawges) and I have other names I can call him. LoL

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                            Lol. You must always look to nature for inspiration....

1. "Lignum vitae" is Latin for "wood of life"

2. "This wood was once very important for applications requiring a material with its extraordinary combination of strength, toughness and density".

although...

3. "Demand for the wood has been reduced by modern materials science, which has led to polymer, alloys and composite materials which can take lignum vitae's place".

and remember:
                            4. "..Lignum vitae is also one of the numerous hard, dense woods loosely referred to as ironwood".
                            and,

5, "hard and durable, and is also the densest wood traded; it will easily sink in water".

6. locals used this wood for wine production

7. the wood is self-lubricating and was widely used in water lubricated shaft bearing.

woeeeiii
                            LOL... kip it reel yes
                            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Education is not always a means to end Willi...let the man do his esoteric research and feel fulfilled....

Comment

Working...
                              X