RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Who Will Cry For The Police?' - not me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Who Will Cry For The Police?' - not me!

'Who Will Cry For The Police?'
    Published: Monday | October 15, 2012 3 Comments

Pall-bearers carry the coffin containing the body of Warren Campbell, late detective corporal of the Organised Crime Investigation Division at the Seventh-day Church of God, Darlin Pen in Spanish Town, St Catherine. - Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer
    Cops question loyalty of citizenry as Campbell is laid to rest

Just over a week after retired Senior Superintendent of Police Anthony Hewitt was laid to rest, the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) yesterday said goodbye to another member.

Detective Corporal Warren Campbell, who was gunned down near his Patrick City home on September 20, was lauded during his thanksgiving service at the Seventh-day Church of God in Darling Pen, Spanish Town, St Catherine.

Chairman of the Jamaica Police Federation Sergeant Raymond Wilson chastised what he perceived as a lack of public outcry over the killing.

"Where were the placard-bearing protesters claiming 'we want justice'?" he asked. "When did it become a crime to serve and protect the people of this country?"

Wilson, encouraged by the gathering, repeatedly asked: "Who will cry for the police?"

He renewed calls for a special provision within the law for police killers.

"It must never be seen as 'just another killing'," said Wilson, who called Campbell a dedicated, on-the-ground foot soldier who was fearless and meticulous in his duties.

"We must salute this honourable patriot," he said.

He called for all Jamaicans to expose those who attacked the security forces.

Speaking for the family, Maxine Daniels said it was appropriate Campbell was being buried during Heroes weekend as he was one. She said he captured the hearts of everyone with whom he came in contact, and always provided a shoulder to lean on. He was 26.

Campbell joined the JCF in 2004. His first posting was at the Mobile Reserve Unit. He later moved to the Organised Crime Investigation Division. Originally from St Catherine, Campbell became the man of the house at an early age after his father passed away. His former boss, Senior Superintendent Fitz Bailey, gave the eulogy and said Campbell would stay home from school on days like Sports Day to save his mother trying to find lunch money from her meagre resources.

He said that from his days at Dinthill Technical High School, Campbell always loved the uniformed groups. He noted Campbell never forgot his familial duties, always checking up on them even while he was at police training school.

Noting that sometimes the dead leave behind questions regarding their activities, Bailey stated confidently: "I can say that Detective Corporal Campbell was a man of integrity."

Two men are currently in custody for his murder.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Regrettable statement....this is a 26 yo person.

Comment

Unfortunate statement indeed. I guess that is why it is called a thankless job. Isn't it ironic that we see politicians/ministers of government showing up for the funerals of criminals and not showing up for the funerals of police officers?. Even in the uncivilized USA they show up for funerals of fallen officers. In fact they show up at the hospital to give moral support to injured officers. I am wondering if the reason is that the bulk of our police force is drawn from the wrong class/ethnicity.

Comment

Oh! Yuh talking the individual?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
        X