Jamaican conquers iconic Swiss mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaican conquers iconic Swiss mountain

JAMAICAN climber Darren Jordon achieved another mountaineering landmark when he successfully summited the Matterhorn, Switzerland’s iconic peak last week.

At 14,690 feet (4,478 metres), the Matterhorn is one of Europe’s most recognised landmarks, and is widely regarded as one of the continent’s toughest and most challenging mountains to climb.

Jamaican mountaineer and former Jamaica Defence Force soldier Darren Jordon unfurls the Jamaican Flag on the Matterhorn summit last Wednesday.

1/2

After a gruelling and demanding ascent, the former Jamaica Defence Force officer, turned Al Jazeera news presenter, finally stood at the icy summit at 11:15 am on Wednesday, August 22, and unfurled the Jamaican Flag on the Swiss side of the mountain.

“It certainly has to be one of the proudest moments of my life, to scale the Matterhorn, and to do so as we celebrate 50 years of Independence makes it even more special for me as a Jamaican mountain climber,” Jordan said while recovering in Geneva after his extraordinary feat.

“I am deeply grateful to my amazing French guides Yves Salino and Stephane Moussard, who guided me there and back safely. They helped me to join the select group of climbers who have been privileged to stand on top of this unique Swiss mountain,” he added.

Jamaica’s Ambassador to Switzerland, Wayne McCook, welcomed news of Jordon’s successful climb and commended the Jamaican climber for his achievement, the first recorded by a Jamaican mountaineer.

“We can be proud of this achievement, which has come through hard work, arduous preparation and determined effort,” said McCook. “This is yet another demonstration of the Jamaican capacity to excel in extraordinary fields of endeavour and we congratulate Darren for adding Jamaica to the list of countries whose climbers have reached the Matterhorn summit.”

Jordon previously scaled a number of famous peaks, including Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa, and Italy’s highest summit, Gran Paradiso.

Since the Matterhorn was first climbed in 1865, more than 500 people have died trying to scale it, and every year up to a dozen climbers perish on the mountain, mostly on the treacherous descent. Many die from rock falls, climbing accidents, bad weather or fatigue.

In preparation for the Matterhorn climb, Jordon put himself through an arduous physical training regime in Qatar where he now resides. In addition, Salino guided him on a number of highly demanding technical climbs in the French Alps, including the traverse of the Cosmique Ridge in Chamonix.

“I wish to dedicate this successful climb to Jamaica as our proud country celebrates its 50th birthday,” said Jordan. “In a remarkable year where we have gained extraordinary sporting success at the Olympics, we have been reminded that, as a people, we are capable of achieving anything we put our hearts to. I trust that this climb will help to reinforce this spirit and remind us that no summit is too high for us to climb”

Whats next to conquer?

1) The US Presidency

2)British P.M

3)Canadian P.M

Its a strong possibility in 20 years.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

IMF,World Bank,and two party system.

Comment

1. Peace and security for all citizens at home.
        2. Sustainable livelihoods for all.
        3. Poverty.
        4. Affordable health.
        5. Winning the World Cup.

Comment

Not an easy accomplishment!!

Congratulations
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Winning an Oly gold OUTSIDE of Track and Field?

Comment

We have bronze in cycling....

Comment

I know, he went to StGC with me!

Comment

Poor fellow.

Comment

Working...
                  X