• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Defender Intervenes In Bus Preaching Ban

Public Defender Intervenes In Bus Preaching Ban

Published: Friday November 16, 2012 | 7:27 pm4 Comments

Public Defender Earl Witter

The Public Defender Earl Witter says he’s currently seeking a legal opinion on the issue of preaching on public buses.

Earlier this week the Managing Director of the Jamaica Urban Transit Company Limited (JUTC), Rear Admiral Hardley Lewin gave a directive that seeks to end the practice of individuals using the public transport system to preach the Gospel.

Senior Superintendent of Police in charge of traffic, Radcliffe Lewis has also warned that it is an offence and persons in breach can be charged with disorderly conduct on a public-passenger vehicle.

Witter says the move by the JUTC management has raised constitutional questions.

He says he will decide whether to seek declarations in the Supreme Court when he gets legal opinion on the matter.

In the meantime, the public defender says he’s prepared to receive opinions on the matter from interested persons and organizations.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

The Public Defender nuh have di Tivoli Report to submit? Why is he taking on this nonsense?!?

All these fundamentalists that want gospel preaching on buses, wait till di Nyahbingi man walk on with him 15ft long broom dem and start bun out di Pope, or whatever it is they do! Then they'll see constitutional rights!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Constitutional Rights??

Constitutional rights? What about the constitutional rights of the entrapped passengers who are forced to sit and listen to whoever turns out to be the preacher for the day?

This statement by me is not an attack on the church, but we have to realize that as far as individual rights are concerned there is a vast difference between, on the one hand, someone who makes the choice to go to church and listen to a preacher and, on the other, someone going about their business who is forced to listen to any itinerant so-called preacher who happens to be on the bus.

The poor passenger is trapped and cannot just get up and leave (unlike his/her counterpart in a church building).

Comment

They always expect a contribution before the disembark, and there are a few who would let off with some choice bad wud if they are turned down!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

it's always funny to me, u jus sit in the bus and everyone blend in then all of a sudden, BLAM!! Hallelujah! u see smaddy get up n ur like huh!!! oh crap! noise and spit flyin time!

Comment

Yep, you're right

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            They always expect a contribution before the disembark, and there are a few who would let off with some choice bad wud if they are turned down!
            Yep, you are certainly right. Extortionists using a unique albeit time-worn method!

I am honestly surprised that the public defender would even consider an objection to this sensible initiative by the police! These itinerant characters…. sorry, preachers, by their very actions in an enclosed, moving public environment are clearly the ones abusing our constitutional rights to travel in peace.

By the way, in the same way that these annoying so-called preachers are being banned, so too should the playing of music of any kind! We need to start getting things right on the piece of rock we call home!

Comment

At the same time they should also make sure the vulgar music and the loud music that can actually cause damage to people's air drum be removed from all buses and public transport.

There has to be some standard. I don't know why a preacher could be on a bus in the first place. They can have designated areas at major stops for this kind of thing. Back in the old days there was one or two in town centers but not on buses.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

so if i get two stripper girl to start glide down the pole of those busess Whitter would defend it.... A wha tek him... as a passenger I have a right to a quiet ride... simple... tell him to forward with the TG report and stop chat ********.

Comment

Mosiah, stop mek me laff out loud
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

Fi real
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                    X