No announcement yet.

Nicholson Labels Outcry Over MP's Vehicles As 'Ill-Thinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, so its not fair to use Singapore as a comparision. It appears that it would be political suicide to buy even a Toyota Prius in that country.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Mosiah, I used to drive a familiy member's Camry and yes it's a good vehicle. She got about 4 years out of it running up the milage daily.
      I don't know how well the Camry or Honda civic hold up on Jamaica's roads.

Where we disagree is Car versus SUV. My experience in Jamaica with cars and SUVs is that the SUVs last longer.

Yes, Mosiah, the SUV is more expensive to operate daily and your car plus SUV pool plan looks good on paper but I maintain that is giving the Minister two vehicles. Somebody will be driving that SUV on behalf on the Minister, even if we don't see the SUV trailing the car daily. It 'nah to be parked' until it rains or some top official going to the country. It a go bun gas and wear and tear items everyday in additional to the official car that we see in front of the cameras.
      The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Lol, you probably right.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Contrary to what they would like us to believe, minister don't get trekking onto mountainous terrain every day. The SUVs take them to their private offices and to their constituency offices and parliament more often than to Blue Mountain Peak. So, let's kill that idea right now.

I maintain that each ministry could have that Prado available to the minister or whomever needs to go off to Catherine's Peak at a minute's notice.

As for this idea that the SUVs last longer, that is irrelevant given the current vehicle policy. Yes, I know you are not for it too.

What usually happens when ministers travel is that their Prados would be followed by a 5 series BMW or another SUV, could be a RAV4. At the end of the day, the expense is too much for the country to bear. Not all ministers travel with an entourage, only the ones that may really need it or the paranoid few.

When I see Portia at her favourite supermarket, her slightly aged Bimmer is trailed by a Prado. I think on a few occasions, a motorcycle cop is used.

And stop mekking it seem like we don't have a mile of good roads on the island!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

When we ready to start drive vehicles with solar and bio-diesel we can talk...or some clean diesel SUVs...

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environ...s-2012#slide-1

Comment

give them a corolla to drive... strong sturdy reliable and wont break the bank... if minister want to buy it after five years pay FMV ,market, and not the book value...get rid of the consumerist mentality... oh yeah, fix the main thoroughfares with mthe savings..
              Peter R

Comment

Will never happen...not in Jamaica. I think they could get some good roll-on roll off for about 15k.

Comment

Working...
                X