X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Populist politicians causing Jamaica's socio-economic woes -

Populist politicians causing Jamaica's socio-economic woes - Hamilton

Gary Spaulding, Senior Gleaner Writer

Former President of the Jamaica Chamber of Commerce Howard Hamilton has blasted successive political administrations for leading the country on a perilous path of populism over the past 50 years that has culminated with its current range of socio-economic woes.

Hamilton stopped short of describing the People's National Party and Jamaica Labour Party administrations of engaging in cowardly antics in their pursuit of political glory.

"The problem that each of us faces is that it has been a system of populism and power and nobody is prepared to do anything differently," he lamented.

Hamilton suggested that he has yet to see any politician bold enough to adopt what he described as the Barbados-Erskine Sandiford model.
    Sandiford is a former prime minister of Barbados who was shunted out of office in 1994, after seven years, for unpopular decisions that he took.
    "He (Sandiford) saw the need for some major changes in the direction of the country (Barbados) and he took it knowing full well that his political career could be at an end. It turned out that way but the country is now in a period of growth," asserted Hamilton.

"I can't see in Jamaica and I can't see for the last 50 years, the quality of leadership that can take those hard decisions that will not create for them any continuity in the political scene that happened to Erskine ... he is gone back to teaching and he is happy because he sees the country growing and has a sense of satisfaction for having done the right thing."

convince us
    Hamilton also had strong words for contender for the post of JLP general secretary, Dr Horace Chang, who was a special guest at the breakfast meeting at the Wyndham hotel in New Kingston.

"You have to convince us that there is going to be a major paradigm shift and that the best people will be selected to hold key positions that are needed to run this country," he said. "Don't pander because I am Portia's friend, and that kind of nonsense has been taking place throughout."

He said that as the Upper Chamber of Parliament, the Senate should avoid the politics that characterise the House of Representatives.
    "Why should the Senate be a repository of those who have lost elections and those who need to be honoured by their parties?" he asked.

Hamilton argued that the Senate should comprise the intelligentsia of the country.

"It is the top business people who are to guide the process that comes from the people down in the House of Representatives ... they must be the people who can add that dimension which is not coming from the elected persons because of the populism that exists."

Declaring that it would take a long time to arrest the wave of populism that plagues the elected members in the House of Representatives, Hamilton urged the Government to address this deficiency in the Senate.
    "Why can't we put in the Douglas Oranes, the Don Wehbys, the Warren McDonalds and the other people who can guide because of the successes of their own businesses ... and guide the affairs of the country?"

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ead/lead2.html
    Last edited by Karl; November 29, 2012, 11:29 AM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

"Hamilton suggested that he has yet to see any politician bold enough to adopt what he described as the Barbados-Erskine Sandiford model.
    Sandiford is a former prime minister of Barbados who was shunted out of office in 1994, after seven years, for unpopular decisions that he took."

All of a sudden people suffer from amnesia. I recalled a PM being hauled over the coals when his gov't decided to sell Air Jamaica. I know people that was furious but when they're flying back to JAmaica they were not flying Air Jamaica.

When the SCJ assets were being sold, the gov't was accused of giving away Jamaica.

When the gov't said wage freeze there were those who were adamant that the gov't was wicked and uncaring. Ites on this very forum was mekking up all kind a noise how the workers must get paid.

When the idea of the JDX was made public, people were claiming it was a default and how it should be avoided.

When the gov't present the crime bills to deal with crime there was all kinds of noise how the bills will impact the rights of Jamaicans.

All those moves were VERY UNPOPULAR decisions, where is Bruce Golding and his gov't today? All those UNPOPULAR moves, how has Jamaica benefitted today?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

is Obama a populist lahzie?

Comment

Originally posted by Skeng D View Post
        is Obama a populist lahzie?
        Can you stop worrying about Obama and the USA for a change? They are more than capable of taking care of themselves.

Again, the title of the article is "Populist politicians causing Jamaica's socio-economic woes - Hamilton"

Obama has a first world country to manage. Peter the Prophet predicted the Haitianization of Jamaica. Focus pon dat.

Comment

yes or no...is Obama a populist lahzie?

Comment

Originally posted by Skeng D View Post
            yes or no...is Obama a populist lahzie?
            Was Obama mentioned anywhere in the article? Better you keep quiet.

Comment

So wait.. how Eddie lose di '89 Election ??

lol ! woiee !

Hamilton cyaan be taken seriously if him memory so faulty..

Comment

100% in agreeance!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Leave the politics out of it. The JLP government was far from perfect!

And there was no way in HELL Bruce could have stuck around after that Tivoli/Dudus fiasco! The man presided over the massacre of over 70 Jamaicans, for crise sake!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    Leave the politics out of it. The JLP government was far from perfect!

And there was no way in HELL Bruce could have stuck around after that Tivoli/Dudus fiasco! The man presided over the massacre of over 70 Jamaicans, for crise sake!
                    I'm sorry, where did anyone say the JLP was perfect? Thats the problem, with the JLP all of a sudden unuh want perfection. The reality is they made very unpopular decisions. Decisions that many here, including you knocked them for. At least now yuh so called hero nuh have those issues to deal with.

So, because facts are put on the table that you cannot dispute it is suddenly politics? Let me get this, when you were insisting that the public sector workers should be paid, were you playing politics then?

We all know you had a personal dislike for Bruce, so anything Bruce did or didn't do you would complain about. When they locked themselves in Tivoli and the powers that be were pleading with the citizens to take down the barriers and send out Dudus, people were insisting something needs to be done. When the forces decided to move in, you tun round and start complaining again.

You talking as if there were no gunmen in Tivoli during that incident.

"Entries in the diary suggested that Murray, who was from Montego Bay, was among the hundreds of gunmen police said were imported into Tivoli Gardens by Christopher 'Dudus' Coke to fight in his (Coke's) defence in May," (Diary of a Killer)

Another quote, "Dating his next entry May 24, 2010, Murray wrote: "Invasion of Tivoli Garden by babylon the enemy, gun shots rang out from every conner of West Kingston and other places of KGN to protect the man Don of all Dons." (Dairy of a killer).

I heard NNN read a [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']coroner’s report on bodies from that incident. Men from St. James, Hanover, Manchester, St. Catherine etc. What were they doing there? Touring? People seem to forget that police stations were set on fire. [/FONT]
                    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][/FONT]
                    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Gwaan try rewrite history Mosiah.[/FONT]

Comment

Amazing. While he may have made a valid statement, he went AWOL when he suggested that:

"It is the top business people who are to guide the process that comes from the people down in the House of Representatives ... they must be the people who can add that dimension which is not coming from the elected persons because of the populism that exists."

Comment

When it coming to LYING, I don't know who worse, you or Liad Bruce. Maybe you should be called LYAD Lazie. It have a nice ring to it!

What yuh need to do is to find all those posts I made on the Tivoli matter. But you won't, because it would prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that yuh is a LYAD!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

ok i'll start a new thread

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                            When it coming to LYING, I don't know who worse, you or Liad Bruce. Maybe you should be called LYAD Lazie. It have a nice ring to it!

What yuh need to do is to find all those posts I made on the Tivoli matter. But you won't, because it would prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that yuh is a LYAD!
                            Ahh ... now we resort to calling others lyad. What lie you trying to tie to me now Modams? If yuh figet what yuh say ... I wouldn't be surprised. People who change dem position every minute muss get confused.

Comment

Just produce the evidence of my position or shut the fcuk up!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X