Machel Montano guilty on five criminal charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machel Montano guilty on five criminal charges

The great soca artist salt now. Exile, Peter R?

BREAKING NEWS - Machel Montano guilty on five criminal charges
    Story Updated: Dec 10, 2012

Soca star Machel Montano leaves the Port of Spain Magistrates' Court, after an appearance in October. Photo by CURTIS CHASE

SOCA STAR Machel Montano was this morning found guilty of five criminal offences.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/...=y&clmob=y&c=n
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Kiss teet...Trini always a try follow Jamaica and cyaan do it right...assault...really...when a Soca artist charge fi murder and conspiracy like Kartel come chat to we

Comment

Montano was also found guilty of using obscene language during the same incident.
      A nuh we one fool?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuhseeit!

A Jamaican artiste beats someone every night, I am sure.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

i stopped following this story long time...it happened over five yrs ago i think . i didn't read the article but the sentence will tell all..i suspect a slap on the wrist .
          Peter R

Comment

Since when it is normal to delay sentencing in TT? They will get community service...Machel has been the 'golden-eyed boy' for the ruling party receiving significant largesse from government - millions for winning road march, tour of UK as 'Ambassador' with government officials, money for a lousy 50th Anniversary album....

Comment

Machel, Kernal facing jail time

Zan, Benjai get off

By Keino Swamber keino.swamber@trinidadexpress.com

Story Created: Dec 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM ECT
              Story Updated: Dec 11, 2012 at 7:13 AM ECT

Soca star Machel Montano and songwriter Kernal Roberts can be sentenced to a maximum term of imprisonment of five years having been found guilty of charges of assault occasioning bodily harm.
              This is according to Section 30 of the Offences Against the Person Act, Chapter 11:08.
              Having also been found guilty on two counts of common assault, Montano could be ordered to pay $4,000 and serve a term of imprisonment for two years. Montano was also found guilty of using obscene language which, according to Section 49 of the Summary Offences Act Chapter 11:02, carries a penalty of a fine of $200 or imprisonment for 30 days.
              The verdicts against the reigning Power Soca Monarch and Road March winner and his band member Roberts were announced by Magistrate Maureen Baboolal-Gafoor in the Port of Spain Magistrates Court yesterday.
              Montano and Roberts were charged along with soca artistes Joel "Zan" Feveck and Rodney "Benjai" LeBlanc following an altercation with four patrons – Gerard Bowrin, Brandis Browne, Janelle Lee Chee and Russell Pollonais – outside the Zen nightclub in Port of Spain in April 2007.
              LeBlanc was found not guilty of the two common assault charges laid against him and Feveck, who was charged with one count of common assault, was also found not guilty.
              Baboolal-Gafoor is expected to pass sentence on Montano and Roberts on January 17.
              The Express asked one magistrate what factors would Baboolal-Gafoor most likely take into consideration in determining the appropriate sentence to be meted out to Montano and Roberts.
              "Generally, the court will take in account whether the person is a first-time offender or not," the magistrate said.
              "If the person has previous convictions, the magistrate will consider whether they are of a similar nature to the current conviction, the character of the person, that is if he has any involvement in the community and his age, the nature of the offence and whether the person pleaded guilty at the first opportunity or not. A plea of guilty at the first opportunity is the best show of remorse.
              "The court may also want to consider the effect of a conviction recorded against a person as in the case of a student who has shown an intention or shown evidence of studying abroad...how the conviction may affect his chances of acquiring a visa.
              "However, the weight given to these different elements are all dependent upon the individual magistrates.
              "Persons can also be placed on a community service order. But with five matters, the court may not want to consider that option," the magistrate said. • See Page 19

Comment

..the spin starts...
                Gypsy 'very saddened'

By Ria Taitt Political Editor

Story Created: Dec 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM ECT
                Story Updated: Dec 11, 2012 at 7:15 AM ECT

Minister of Community Development Winston Gypsy Peters is "very saddened" to hear that soca star Machel Montano has been found guilty on four charges of assault and one of obscene language.
                Montano's sentence is still to be determined.
                Peters, who told the Express yesterday that Montano was like his little son and he had known him since he was a child, stated: "I hope that there would be some kind of leniency in terms of....(his sentencing). You know Machel is not a violent person in any way. And sometimes bad things happen to good people. The law has taken its course which is the right way to go, but I do hope that everything works well for him and we wouldn't have any setback because a setback for Montano is also a setback for our country.
                "Montano is a flagship entertainer of our country and I hope that everything works well for him. But it goes to show that in Trinidad and Tobago the law, despite what everybody says, the law takes its course and the law is for all. But I hope that everything works well for Machel. I love him to death."
                Asked about the fact that Montano had been embraced by the current administration, Peters said he did not know that the Government embraced Montano but rather it was the people of the country.
                "Machel is an international iconic figure who happens to be from Trinidad and Tobago. The people of Trinidad and Tobago have embraced him. And rightly so because we need people like that to publicise our island," he said.
                Planning Minister Dr Bhoe Tewarie, who has worked closely with Montano on the 50th independence anniversary project, was more reticent. Tewarie said he did not think that the matter was fully resolved yet.
                "My information is that the magistrate set another day for the determination of sentence. So I would rather not say more at this point and wait until the matter is resolved," he said.
                Speaking at last week's Cabinet meeting, Tewarie gave an update on the $5 million investment in the 50th anniversary project. He said among the yields of this project was the fact that Montano and his team were there at the London Olympics and performed for seven nights in support of the Trinidad and Tobago High Commission "marketing the country".
                Montano also produced a CD, in which two songs are signed for international distribution, Tewarie had stated.
                The entertainment package will also include a video.
                Tewarie had said if 20,000 copies of the package were sold, Government would make back its investment. He said Montano was not taking one penny out of the money earned.
                He said some of the profits would go into the Children's Life Fund and the rest would go into an investment fund for the development of music.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                  "Machel is an international iconic figure who happens to be from Trinidad and Tobago. The people of Trinidad and Tobago have embraced him. And rightly so because we need people like that to publicise our island," he said.
                  Clearly, he has not been doing a good job.

Lock him up!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The minister is fooled by "celebrity" ... T&T DOES NOT need people like that to publicise the island... the man is a performer, that should be the end of it. BUT, of course, bmobile, govt. and assorted sycophants will continue to fawn over Machel, fatten his contracts and pretend that he is victim.... nary a tear for the real victims... anybody mention them??

In these parts "Lance Armstrongs" do not exist.
                    Peter R

Comment

From 12 years ago, on my eldest's 14th birthday I gave her my ticket to a Machel Montano concert, so she attended with my wife instead of me... they were in the VIP section, back then the ticket was $600 TT , in today's money about $100US so, expensive!

My wife's section was sitting on chairs on a raised platform that collapsed... there were about two severe injuries, plus hundreds of minor ones; my wife and daughter made it home after the chaos settled... my daughter injured her back, had to take her to orthopaedic surgeon etc... no one to my knowledge was ever compensated or refunded ticket price.... not me and any MM concert... plus I genuinely AM NOT a fan of his product.
                      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                        ...nary a tear for the real victims... anybody mention them??
                        Remember the furor over Marlon King? Some of us were ready to pardon him and there was nary a tear for his victims!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I stopped going to his shows after I payed endless $$ for VVIP and get chit for 2 drinks and snacks but every year mi brethren them from JA insist every Carnival...next year they can go with your entourage.

Comment

did king spend time in jail for his crimes?

Comment

Yes. What?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X