No announcement yet.

Top 5 Greatest Recording Artists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't Michael take music video to another level?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Music Videos

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
      If impact or direction of the music is the criteria then I tend to agree.

Music videos now is a different thing. He made that medium what it is.
      Yes, I fully agree with you on the music videos aspect. Michael definitely made the greatest impact of any artist in history as far as the medium of music videos is concerned.

However, that aside, I’m inclined to regard those five on the list I made as being more influential in the direction of music or even in impacting national cultures. As such, Iman, I fully share the views you have expressed in the post above.

Comment

on another note ... you know that disco music was "invented" by an indian guy after he migrated to england? he produced kung fu fighting and the rest is history. he also produced tina charles' various hits. check it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biddu_Orchestra

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yeah man. The impact that Jackson music had in the 80s is hard to even envision these days. He may not have transformed the sound, in terms of a revolutionary beat, but his style, voice and showmanship was there. Hard to see music going through that era again. As Mosiah rightly pointed out Music video was also transformed into Mini movies by Mike.

Many of the others had longer careers or more Albums to select from or their lyrics may have had great impact but Mike was the entertainment schene, party schene etc. changed drastically by Mike.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
            I don’t think Michael Jackson belongs on the list of any “Top Five Most Influential” artist as far as impacting the direction of music or society is concerned. This is NOT a popularity list!

Michael was one of the most popular recording artists of all times, but I am not sure if there was any direct cultural impact (creating social tremors, so to speak) in the way that, for example, Bob Dylan or the Beatles did.

I might even put Kurt Cobain ahead of Michael, because Kurt and his group Nirvana impacted rock to its very core!

HIstorian: It's tough not listing Jackson among the TOP influential.

Michael is the youngest of the lot--but from the 70's to the present... Michael's music has impacted contemporary R&B even more than anyone your list. Music volume sold is enough to measure level influence.

NOTE: I would also include the dance that accompanys the music as part of the influence. You just can't separate them. Usher, Chris Brown et. al ...(just name the artists) from the 70's to now...and thay all have to Michael Jackson

All the artist on your lists [do]belong there: Historian, Let's settle for the topic: Top 6 Most Influential Artist of all times.
            Last edited by HL; December 12, 2012, 04:37 PM.
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

well michael jackson had james brown, jackie wilson and sammy davis jnr to thank ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

for the dance....? YES INDEED!!!!!!!!
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  on another note ... you know that disco music was "invented" by an indian guy after he migrated to england? he produced kung fu fighting and the rest is history. he also produced tina charles' various hits. check it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biddu_Orchestra
                  Wow. Didn't even know carl douglas was Jamaican. Yet to meet a youth that doesn't like this song when it plays.

Comment

carl "kung fu fighting" douglas ... fo sho ...... i didn't know that junior giscombe was jamaican. the "mama used to say" should have alerted me.

Comment

and SHOWMANSHIP!!

Comment

They have him (Carl Douglas) down as one of the alltime one-hit wonders. For me one of the best one-hit wonders was ' Return of the Mack' by Mark Morrison. Another Jamaican if I am not mistaken.

Comment

mark morrison is bajan ... i knew ~ahem~ - look left .. look right - his sister quite well.

Comment

LOL. Bajan ??. Still one of the best one hit wonders. I heard he kinda imploded mentally. Don't know the specifics though. Even with his one hit I prefer him to that other Bajan the Electric Avenue BBredda. Eddie Grant I think.

Comment

No Weird Al Yankovic?

Comment

"So Elvis got's to go" I was waitng for this, but I will differ to Historian opinion eh ehe lol..

Comment

Working...
                                X