I think Jack should ask his mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Jack should ask his mother

Where was the Observer when the PNM practised ‘ethnic stocking’?
    Friday, December 14, 2012

Dear Editor,

The Jamaica Observer’s editorial of December 11, 2012 raises questions of fairness and honesty in journalism in the editorial, “The more important issue is abuse of substance”.

Why a newspaper with such a strong Caribbean tradition would stoop so low continues to bemuse me. From where does the authority to speak about ethnic stocking suddenly derive?

Where was the voice of the Jamaica Observer when ethnic stocking in its most dominant form was practised by the People’s National Movement?

In a country which boasts of many nations – one people, one would never have believed that such an august institution would decline into such stealth racism, but it seems that even across the Caribbean sensationalism seems to be the modus operandi for selling newspapers.

Where was the Observer when Senator Devant Maharaj had to go to court in order not to be passed over for promotion at the National Lotteries Control Board? Was that not “ethnic stocking”?

Where was the Observer when Ganga Persad Bissoon’s appointment as commissioner of state lands was vetoed by the then Prime Minister Patrick Manning? Was that not also “ethnic stocking”?

Where was the Observer when the Hindu Maha Sabha, having been denied a national voice for over a decade, was forced to seek justice right up to the Privy Council and still received resistance by the PNM Government? Was that not “ethnic stocking”?

For more than 30 years, not a Hindu was appointed or elected as a member of government by the PNM, and yet the Observer dares to speak about “ethnic stocking?”

The adage that cockroach should not meddle in fowl business is relevant to the Observer in this context.

That the Observer has chosen to publish this poorly researched and error-riddled piece of writing as the paper’s official opinion is pathetically disappointing and raises suspicion as to how this could have been allowed to occur.

The author clearly has a hidden agenda that transcends the decency of truth and the tenet of the journalistic profession of objective loyalty to the facts.
    What the author glosses over is the fact that this Government has improved the image on the Transparency International Corruption Perception Index.

Is it possible that if “ethnic stocking” is really taking place, the current preferred ethnicity may be the one to keep Trinidad and Tobago less corrupt?
    But for the records, from 1956 – 1966, of the 66 PNM ministers appointed, only 18 of those were East Indians. If that is not “ethnic stocking”, then I refuse to understand what it is.

The Jamaica Observer must therefore salvage their integrity and reveal the author of the editorial.

I guess this is another one of those Jamaican attacks of the past as “T&T’s oil will pass through it as a dose of salts” — Michael Manley.

Jack Warner
    Chairman
    United National Congress
    Trinidad and Tobago

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lette...#ixzz2Ezlh904A

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Jack's constituency is made up of over 80% Indian and he won his seat with an overwhelming majority... I believe the biggest margin of victory of any candidate in the 2010 elections... what does that say?
    Peter R

Comment

Money can buy anything.

Comment

He was doing fine until his very last line. Jack please do your research before you even dare mention Joshua's name. Thanks.

Comment

Hail Jawge...long don't see you around these parts...

Comment

So what you saying, Joshua didn't say that?
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
              Money can buy anything.
              i think you think don't give jw credit for understanding his constituents intimately and how to relate to them .... regardless what you think of him as a person. if it was down to just money ross perot would have been us president .
              Peter R

Comment

Well he knows them and money buys anything...you think if Jack was a poor-ass blackman he would be there??? He bought himself in the party, he was a financier, he still is...don't think there is anything cerebral about it.

Comment

That's not the point. You don't seem to see what Joshua did for Ja. In this global market and economy can the current elite carry Ja's economy? Why do you think the island is going through so much stagnation? It's money is concentrated one place and not spread through out. Just as the days of slavery.

Ja seriously needs a civil rights bill. I said this years ago and most on here just don't seem to get it. Civil liberties (if there is any in Ja) is different from civil rights.

Comment

Boss mi scarce fi true.. Mi ah out deh ah toil hard inna di salt mine so mi nuh too deh bout.

Comment

It is exactly the point. He said what jack said he did.

You think Micheal is a hero who is on par with Garvey and Bogle, I do not. I do not think heis the devil either but the outcomes of his policies are not impressive when taken as a whole.
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                      X