Christmas Grand market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Grand market

Grand Market (Gran Market) is a community fair characterised by food, street dancing, crafts and music. In the past, the weekend before Christmas and particularly on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, markets all over the island were awash with vendors selling small toys, firecrackers, balloons and sweets of all kinds * pinda (an African word for peanut) cakes, grater cakes and peppermint sticks. Oranges and even American apples were distinctive features of the Grand Markets. Sorrel, chocolate tea and coffee flowed, as did the Christmas carols and a merry banter between vendors and customers. On Christmas Day some markets were decorated with streamers, large accordion-style bells, and balloons. Many were decked out in fancy clothes, including bright hats purchased upon entering the Grand Market. Everyone came to town for Grand Market and the celebrations lasted throughout the day and well into the night.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

oh for the good ole days...life was so much better then
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Can you imagine your kids saying today will be their good old days?
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

And songs like this from Prince Buster was considered highly offensive in the early 60s!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVKVB_8hwqk
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Will be interesting to hear what they say, like :

"Remember we when we growing up our teacher didn't have to keep a sub-machine gun in the classroom?"

OR

"I didn't have a cell phone until I was 10!"
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Yes I can...and it's not something I would feel good about
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Bet yuh Historian was boogeying down to tracks like these back then too...

Comment

Lol @ Bricktop

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                Bet yuh Historian was boogeying down to tracks like these back then too...
                Lol. Bricktop ! I was born in the 1960s, boss, and that’s the truth!

Don’t let the title “Historian” fool you. It stems from my passion for history (as in the history of everything).

Comment

Working...
                X