X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US law students request Dudus tapes

US law students request Dudus tapes

Published: Wednesday January 9, 2013 | 2:02 pm 3 Comments
    Christopher 'Dudus' Coke being extradited to the United States, after a warrant was issued for his arrest in May, 2010 - file photo.

1 2 >
    CMC – Three Yale Law School students have filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), calling on the United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), to release aerial surveillance footage compiled during the Tivoli operation, to detain Jamaican strongman Christopher “Dudus” Coke, who was wanted in the United States on drugs and firearms charges.

In 2010, Jamaican police and military officials moved into Tivoli Gardens in a bid to arrest Coke, following an extradition request from Washington.

The operations led to the deaths of more than 70 civilians.

The three students filed the suit on behalf of Mattathias Schwartz, the reporter who covered the event for The New Yorker magazine.

The suit, which was filed on December 19, 2012, arose from Freedom of Information requests that Schwartz had made to the DEA and other federal agencies for records pertaining to the Tivoli operation.

The DEA has until January 22 to respond.

An article appearing on the Yale Law School website, noted that although the DEA has acknowledged in response to Schwartz’s requests that it is in possession of six DVDs containing aerial surveillance footage of the raid, it has refused to release them, citing six exemptions under the US Freedom of Information Act.

The students, who are members of Yale's Media Freedom and Information Access Clinic (MFIA), argue in the complaint, filed in federal district court in the Eastern District of New York, that none of the exemptions are applicable to the footage being sought.

The MFIA was established to, among other things, defend the public’s right of access to government information.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

I met that Schwartz guy in Tivoli last year...

Comment

Who chatting in the tapes?
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Initially I had expected a FOI request would come from the Jamaican media, however that was too much to ask from dem who are in bed with the Gangs of Gordon House.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Darn shame it took three Yale students to request the recordings and that it is done on behalf of a US reporter when we conducted our own investigation without even making such a request.
          The DEA is just one of several US agencies that made recordings.

Comment

The media and the Govt that profess conducting an impartial investigation should have an interest in the evidence captured in those recordings, I expected the latter to have a higher chance of success(seeing the so-called official investigation was sanctioned by the Govt and the DEA involvement was requested by the Govt).
            Even before the TG incursion,images of TG were recorded with such clarity it captured and identified a politician smoking weed.....,they had months to prepare for the must see show.

Comment

Too much mix up from both parties.

Notice no promised extraditions materialized?

Orange a protect green and vice versa.

Comment

Why are Jamaicans not interested in getting to the bottom of the Tivoli Gardens Incursion?

Where are our law students, our journalists, our politicians, our Min. of National Security, our Prime Minister? 70+ persons were killed in Tivoli. Is the Member of Parliament concerned at all?

As for the Public Defender, he takes over 2 years to submit his report to Parliament. He claimed he lack the reources. He did not realise this one year into it, but when he was done it dawned on him.

This man abused his office late last year when he found it necessary to, in the middle of his press conference, appeal to the thugs who had robbed him of his gold chain to bring it back. His frikkin chain!!!

Meanwhile, it appears this govt. is covering up something. About 4 weeks ago, it was reported that the Tivoli report had been turned in and the only hold up was the copying and collating of the document. Well, how large is this thing? Are they using a Brother home office printer to do the job?

Why isn't the PD interested in seeing the footage from the US drones? Why do we have other people doing the work we should be doing?! And some people say we should let sleeping dogs lie. Why are these Americans so interested about this? Well, they have been taught how to handle the truth, to a certain degree. We Jamaicans? The more we're in the dark, the better, I suppose.

And while we're on the TG operation and associated happenings, two police officers have been charged the murder of Keith Clarke. Did these officers take it upon themselves to break through burglar bars, enter the house and shoot the man to death? Or were they following orders? Let's put on the trial the persons who are really responsible. If the orders acme from the Min. of National Security, then let's find out how much he can recall about the operation.

Mr. Clarke's house was surrounded, helicopters hovered overhead. What was the rush about all of a sudden to capture Dudus?!? Wait out the man! And now two rogue cops are going to be charged, obviously taking the fall for some idiot.

I guess this will be swept under the rug for now. IMF going to tek up all our time. To hell with human rights and people's lives.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The Travon Martin murder reminds me of the Clarke murder,with the benefit of hindsight Travon was the victim of profiling and was subsequently shot dead by his victimizer.The police and soldiers had no business being at Clarke's residence yet it turned out to be fatal.Sure he engaged them in a shootout likely because he felt his life was at risk,in hindsight,it certainly was.He was not killed in a shootout.Clarke's death was the thing that halted the bloodletting....

From the get go(here on the forum) I recognized the existence of the video recordings of the TG incursion and its relevance to any objective investigation being done.
                  If fool fool me can see its importance why didn't the group named in your post?
                  A formal request will now likely be made, that request should not be limited to what the DEA has in its possession, my guess more comprehensive images were recorded by other agencies.

Comment

Well maybe his chain was a PRIORITY The man works according to his own mandate

Nuh him did want to take ISSA to task when St. Georges got left out of Champs 2011..........
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

...what are you angling for? What do you hope those tapes will tell?

It is a new world...the audio recordings (pre-incursion, during and post-incrusion) I am sure would tell more comprehensive story. ...and based on info I have had they are around on a number of servers.
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Thanks to the Yale students we shall all soon get to know what Bricky look and sound like. Not sure this is a good thing if you ask me. Someone should request the tapes of the torture chambers in Arnett gardens in the interest of balance.

Comment

Me chilling outside the Presidential Click offices in happier times

Comment

LOOL. Stop it please. LOL.

Comment

"before bleach"?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X