Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolivia achieves coca-chewing victory at United Nations

Bolivia achieves coca-chewing victory at United Nations

Bolivian President Evo Morales has campaigned vigorously for the legalisation of coca
    Continue reading the main story Related Stories

Bolivia has achieved a victory in its campaign to decriminalise the chewing of coca leaves.
    It has been re-admitted to the UN Convention on Narcotic Drugs with a special dispensation recognising the practice as legal in Bolivia.
    Bolivia withdrew from the convention last year in protest at its classification of the coca leaf as an illegal drug.
    The chewing of coca leaves is a centuries-old tradition in Bolivia.
    Coca, the raw ingredient for cocaine, has been used in the Andes for thousands of years as a mild stimulant and sacred herbal medicine.
    'Great achievement'
    Fifteen countries objected to Bolivia's special dispensation, far short of the 62 it would have taken to block the country from re-joining.
    UN spokeswoman Arancha Hinojal said objections had been received from the United States, Mexico, Japan, Russia, Canada, the UK, Germany, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, Portugal, Israel and Ireland.
    A US official said the administration continued "to believe it [the legalisation of coca leaves] will lead to a greater supply of cocaine and increased cocaine trafficking and related crime".
    Bolivian President Evo Morales, who is also the head of Bolivia's coca growing union, had campaigned hard to get the UN to reverse what he called a "historic wrong" and lift its longstanding ban on the chewing of coca leaves.
    Last year, he flew to a UN anti-drugs meeting in Vienna to lobby for its legalisation, saying coca was part of his country's heritage.
    Coca leaves were declared an illegal substance under the 1961 UN convention.
    It stipulated that coca-chewing should be eliminated within 25 years of the convention coming into effect in 1964.
    President Morales said a celebration would be held on Monday with coca farmers to mark what Bolivian coca growers called "a great achievement".
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Wonderful

Wonderful news!! Now, Jamaica should follow suit and campaign for the legalization of marijuana, and Colombia should immediately do the same for the legalization of cocaine. Later, others can join in on behalf of hashish, etc.

As the late, great Louis “Satchmo” Armstrong sang way back in the late 1960s:

“I see trees of green, red roses too
    I see them bloom, for me and you
    And I think to myself
    What a wonderful world.”

Comment

Amazing development, the eradication of coca plants has been halted.
      It shows that Bolivia is seen by the UN as a sovereign nation,and traditions being pivotal.
      No doubt Rasta usage of weed has historical value,and if the sovereign nation Jamaica was to divert from political correctness,the destruction of weed plants and criminality surrounding weed would be a thing of the past.

Comment

Indeed Historian Jamaica can now follow the USA ,India and Bolivia lead.
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Historian,the alcohol in the catholic priest cup is a symbol of the blood or Christ, it could very well be water, but it is a tradition for it to be wine.
          My thing is you can't imposed on a nation your will(likely biased)and respect that nation's right to be sovereign.

Comment

i'm wondering if criminalising tobacco and alcohol may not be the way to go after all .....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
            X