Boy Get Deport Come Dung Inna One Pants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historian,

I actually made that post with tongue-in-cheek. On one hand, yes, I'm fed up of these movies. It's one thing to watch some shoot-em-up based in Compton, Los Angeles, because as overworked as that is, you can always find other movies that are well-written, thought-provoking and wholesome, even if it still violent.

But on the other hand, with all the killings recently, esp. of businessmen and women, maybe there is nothing else to report from Jamaica. Maybe?

So, anyway, who out there can work on something like, say, Dudus leaving TG days before the incursion, his two months on the run and his capture? I can see this being a gripping movie, with near captures, his even going to Rev. Al's church and embellished with all other events, with not even one shooting. Perhaps, only when Dudus is reminiscing about his life, some shootings, chainsaws and crocodiles are introduced.

Point is, the possibilities are endless!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Quentin Tarantino is the best!
      Peter R

Comment

The dialogue in his movies is always impressive. Usually they are shot without camera breaks, so you know the actor has to learn those lengthy lines!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"Pulp Fiction" still one of my favourite movies.

I also like the Spanish director Pedro Almodovar.

But, I get your and Historian's point... it is worrying that the stories told about JA in large part tend to reinforce the stereotype. However, movie-making is about making money and sex and violence are what sell. C'est la vie.
          Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
            "Pulp Fiction" still one of my favourite movies.

I also like the Spanish director Pedro Almodovar.

But, I get your and Historian's point... it is worrying that the stories told about JA in large part tend to reinforce the stereotype. However, movie-making is about making money and sex and violence are what sell. C'est la vie.
            Well, is that true?

The two biggest movies ever made are Avatar (still wondering why it was so popular) and Titanic. Were those about sex and violence?!

PR, our movie makers are lazy! Look at The Harder They Come, yes, there was shooting in it, but the story line was strong and, for me, it was not about the little drug dealing that Ivan got involved in. It was about a country bwoy come to Kingston in search of the bright lights in the music industry.

I repeat, when it comes to movies set in Jamaica, the producers/writers are lazy! Think a little!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I don't disagree with you at all, but sex and violence do play their part in the industry... it is easy as you say.

Harder they come was a great movie.

I think a movie about the life of Nanny for starters (or any of our national heroes) would be interesting and I don't mean "Nanny P".
              Peter R

Comment

No doubt sex and violence sell, but we mek it look like just raw shoot-em-up violence is what it's all about.

And hey, not every day I need to see a "Gandhi" movie. I will take some sex and violence sometimes as well. But geez man...!

Remember the movie, Champ? Like how boxing is getting bigger in Jamaica, we can do a boxing movie, y'know. That's violence! The sex part can easily be thrown in.

What a tear-jerker Champ was! It almost made me cry! (snicker)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhswIi_Vlio

Comment

So Jangle, the obvious question is, why doesn't someone make that movie or something like it?

Also are we saying the is no story of redemption among deportees?
                    Last edited by Islandman; January 18, 2013, 08:59 AM.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Historian, I think you're overreacting. It is a story. Are you aware of any story/movie affecting the image of any country? I'm sorry, I cannot think of one. Did Shottas affect our image?
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

i asked a bredrin in the film industry in jamaica about making a movie on Roger mais' book "brotherman" ..... financing is the issue.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Sell the boat barrister

Comment

My point exactly....it is the movie BUSINESS.

How many people would want to see a Brother Man movie vs a Dudus movie?
                            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

me ...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Dem have guns in Brotherman? If the Jamaican movie don't have zinc fence, drugs and guns, and dancehall music, we don't think it can be popular.

And you know what, given the level of education of our people...

But should that be our target anyway? Our people?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                                X