No announcement yet.

Boy Get Deport Come Dung Inna One Pants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But they can find financing for the gun shows though, right?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

That is a small target audience....I would think someone could make a decent and successful Jamaican movie about a track athlete or football player though .

Lets face it, if a Jamaican movie is going to have wide appeal it almost has to be about something in our popular culture. There is just not going to be much in a love story about two young people living in Barbican and Mona that is going to have crossover appeal. Well unless one is secretly a dancer or a DJ in the dancehall.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Clearly! No need to run from what is uniquely Jamaican, or culturally Jamaican.

What made Cool Runnings the huge success it has been? No sex nor violence to speak of.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The Bobsled team was already a unique and true story....that helped a lot.

It was still about sports though, when i say popular culture I am including that.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

well mo has a point.. you can tell this deportee story which needs to be told without gratuitous violence which the violence is not the only thing. Better mus Come is a wonderful movie with violence but the violence is not the overwhelming theme....

Comment

Won't disagree with that sentiment but I have to wait and see the movie to determine if the violence is over the top.

Don't want to be a Spike Lee criticizing and labelling a movie based on a trailer alone.

Comment

was cool runnings a jamaican movie or a movie about jamaicans? club paradise? the mighty quinn?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Club paradise wasn't even about Jamaica, if i remember correctly they used a different name for the island.

When you say Jamaican movie do you mean Jamaican produced?

Comment

St Barts...

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                      When you say Jamaican movie do you mean Jamaican produced?
                      I mean one where there are considerable benefits for the island.

There may be other definitions of course. If the director is Jamaican, is the movie also Jamaican? Not necessarily. But if the director, producers, exec. producers and other technical crew are mostly Jamaican - yes, maybe I would consider the movie Jamaican.

Check this: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...-show_12820849

Is this cartoon Jamaican?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Didn't watch it. Thought it was the usual, and it probably still is!

Chainsaw huh?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

ok ... but HOPEFULLY ... my larger point was made ....??

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yes, It Did

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                            Historian, I think you're overreacting. It is a story. Are you aware of any story/movie affecting the image of any country? I'm sorry, I cannot think of one. Did Shottas affect our image?
                            Yes, Lazie, it did! (Thankfully, Shottas was never anything more than an underground movie.)

The FACT is that Jamaica is regarded far and wide as an unusually violent society, even by Caribbean standards, and the type of movies we like to make merely reinforce this notion.

You would be shocked at the number of people on cruise ships who, when they reach our particular Caribbean destination (Jamrock), refuse to disembark. Again, this is a FACT.

But if that’s how we want the world to continue to see us, so be it….

Comment

Table saw actually

Comment

I agree with you HISTORY-BUFF. I happened across the crap called Shotta...and I was ashamed at the promotion of the lovely Island of my birth--Jamaica. By my standard it was utterly disgusting.

This new film ( although the story line has merit), does nothing to improve Jamaica's image.

Someone mentioned earlier Jamaican films like Smile Orange, Cool Runnings , Mighty Quinn and Club Paradise. These films for the most part are uplifting to the Jamaican image. I watched Cool Runnings puffed-up with pride.

Everyone like what they like. I respect choice.

The one positive from this new film is that the target market is very limited.
                                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                                X