X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only in Jamaica:

The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Nice, the little man is so comfortable he fell asleep,no reason for concern, he would stay awake if he had anything to fear.
    Maybe the call is, honey, I have the special one, we are on our way home,the caregiver hand being used as a seatbelt while he is talking on the phone.
    The rider tilts his head exactly the right way,giving the optimum comfort to the little man and of course ideally provided is a priceless pillow,made of something far better than feathers.
    Ongle a yard,making a plane out of a bleach bottle, giving it flight by using a string, ongle a yard,cutting mommy water hose and destroying her hanger to make wheel and wire.

Comment

Looks dangerous to me... it only would take one pot hole to disrupt that comfort you see... but i's yaad so 'low it, right?
      Peter R

Comment

I Share Both Sentiments Here

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
        Looks dangerous to me... it only would take one pot hole to disrupt that comfort you see... but i's yaad so 'low it, right?
        I share your sentiments Rockman, and also most certainly your logical comment, Peter R.

On the one hand, such a scene is truly touching in that it demonstrates the love that a father has for his son (or an uncle for his nephew, etc. -- no indication is given of the relationship between the two). When I first looked at this picture last night my first response was an emotional one. I thought to myself, “Oh, if only more of our Jamaican fathers were as caring as this man seems to be!”

Then reality hit home. This action by the apparently caring father or relative (and such action by other loving fathers like him) should NEVER be allowed to happen again! Certainly a minor warning from a police officer would be warranted here! Even if this man does not deserve a ticket, he should at the very least be reprimanded and advised never to engage in such a risky pactice again.

My question is this: How many generations of Jamaicans will grow up knowing nothing but harsh poverty?

Comment

I showed this to my Jamerican kid, she saw a man with tremendous skill that could potentially be acrobatic; but that potential will never likely be ever tapped.

Seriously this is the conundrum that is Jamaica, improvised solutions for local problems in the absence of inadequate resources and weak governance at local and national levels.

Comment

I know so many fathers who could not care less about how dem pickney reach a school, so my first reaction here was - great!

I am sure the route he's taking is one known to him like the back of his hand, so the surprise pothole is not a possibility. And as for talking on the phone, you'll notice his right hand is actually holding the boy's leg to his head, added protection if you ask me!

And surely unnu can ride bicycle wid one hand! Come on!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You Got It!

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
              Seriously this is the conundrum that is Jamaica, improvised solutions for local problems in the absence of inadequate resources and weak governance at local and national levels.
              Well stated, Stonigut, sir!! Well said!

Comment

I am not in any way diminishing the man's love or care for his child... but in these parts we put a lot of faith and trust that the unthinkable would ever happen ... I see too many parents driving big SUVs, Benz, Audi etc. and have their five year old standing up in the front of their vehicle as if it something as "simple" as a rear ending could never happen... so it's not like it's limited to the bike man. I tell my children when they go to the beach (for example), you don't get ANY chances for stupid mistakes...

In a lot of respects I am waaaay more sympathetic to the bike man, because that is probably what he can afford and a bike makes it easier for the child... the SUV people you think should know better... the kid should be strapped in the back seat on a booster!
                Peter R

Comment

Peter R, the risk factor was never missing missing to me,and I fully expected someone to mention it.The youngster is sleeping so the caregiver will have to ride with one hand,using the other to secure the child.
                  If there was no phone in the picture then we probably would not be discussing...despite the rider using one hand to steer.
                  I like to go beyond the obvious, Historian.

Comment

Rockie, a lot of things are obvious... the care demonstrated that you speak about is no LESS obvious than what I spoke of.

All I'm saying is that in spite of all of that love, which I am sure the people who drive the big (and small BTW) cars I spoke about in the response to Mo, they foolishly have a mindset that bad things couldn't happen. Maybe I worry too much, who knows?

BTW, as a footnote... I do some amount of cycling which I have been doing for the last year, and have been doing more and more... I had one encounter with the pavement recently when two dogs took set on me... fortunately only my ego was bruised and the dogs ran off when the bike (and I) clattered to the ground...my wife has taken a couple tumbles and mainly due to uneven pavement, once off road... it is partly in that context I make my observations.
                    Last edited by Peter R; January 26, 2013, 07:55 PM.
                    Peter R

Comment

This isn't a case where I disagree with you or Historian,and will argue until I am convinced or do the convincing,I do not have a problem with the concerns raised.
                      I hoped my point that he would have to ride with one hand steering would be obvious to you too.

It has been a while(maybe two years)since I rode a bike,I miss it terribly.
                      So, I envy you )

Comment

Working...
                      X