RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To : Historian, X, PR, Gamma, Assasin, TDowl, Jangle....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To : Historian, X, PR, Gamma, Assasin, TDowl, Jangle....

...look, no more name to haffi call, 'cause nuff respect due.

The Jamaican musical talent i have become accustomed to.

Oh, BTW TopBrick--pull up a chair and enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0d2HzWHrEA
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Ras is still in demand in Europe. He took the drumming from the Mystic Revelation of Rastafari(Weirikas) and made it his own. Good to see him delivering and going strong.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Not my cup o' tea
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Here... try something a little stronger!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he5Dv0tSr3Y
        Peter R

Comment

Me neither

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
          Not my cup o' tea
          Same here.

I can’t think of anything about this recording that is really worth commenting on.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
            Same here.

I can’t think of anything about this recording that is really worth commenting on.

Agree. Total nonsense. Ras Michael has done much better work than that crap.

Comment

I Agree With You

Originally posted by Reggaedoc View Post
              Agree. Total nonsense. Ras Michael has done much better work than that crap.
              Doc:

Based on the posts on this forum, it is very obvious that individuals like you and HL and Peter R and Jangle and ‘Sass and others of our friends here can -- and do -- genuinely appreciate music of a high standard, and likewise appreciate the fact that our little island-nation has indeed produced immensely talented singers, songwriters and musicians (the great Ras Michael included).

The outstanding body of musical work that native Jamaicans have produced is astounding, and this is why I post so often on the topic of music and culture!

One of my primary regrets, however, will always be that we have not attempted or achieved similar greatness in endeavors outside of music and track and field. If only we in Jamaica – and in the wider Caribbean region – could combine our passion for religion, sports and culture with a similar passion for intellectualism, education and science and technology!

Anyway, back to the main focus of this post: Early next week I will be creating a thread entitled the “Top 5 Most Outstanding Jamaican Musicians.” Trust me, there will be some surprises there, as we have world-class musicians (literally!) who very few Jamaicans are aware of! And I’m not referring to reggae or ska or rocksteady musicians!

Comment

Absolutely Storian.

Comment

Sorry, but the song is out of my taste range.

There are Jamaican musicians who are never mentioned when a list is publish, because they were never recorded or limited recording, well there goes history.

Comment

I read all the comments and pretty much anticipated the responses.

I posted an Israel Vibration song the other day and suggested that listening it on laptop speakers would not do justice to the composition.

There were classical element the Ras Michael's piece. It's not one of those that is 'digestable' after one taste.

There is a body of Jamaican music that goes unknown and under-appreciated. Two examples of not well known MUSICIANS is a group Called Foundation and another called Earth Messengers. Their music is non-commercial. I can almost guess that most on this forum have never heard of them.

Ras Michael is a very talented musician. The irony is that his music (apart from the well known pices) is appreciated mostly out of Jamaica.

HL

Comment

Ras Michael's Talent is Beyond Question

Originally posted by HL View Post
                      I read all the comments and pretty much anticipated the responses.

I posted an Israel Vibration song the other day and suggested that listening it on laptop speakers would not do justice to the composition.

There were classical element the Ras Michael's piece. It's not one of those that is 'digestable' after one taste.

There is a body of Jamaican music that goes unknown and under-appreciated. Two examples of not well known MUSICIANS is a group Called Foundation and another called Earth Messengers. Their music is non-commercial. I can almost guess that most on this forum have never heard of them.

Ras Michael is a very talented musician. The irony is that his music (apart from the well known pices) is appreciated mostly out of Jamaica.
                      HL, I realize that the responses here are less than enthusiastic, but while the words are sentimental and the voice is haunting and indeed fitting to the imagery of the lyrics, in my opinion there is really not much that is remarkable about “Sister Lilac.” And do not take this as a criticism of the legendary Ras Michael. His body of work stands as testament to this man’s talent!

It is obvious that “Sister Lilac” is not about a woman. Who or what then does Sister Lilac symbolize?

The guitarist tried his very best to be creative in this piece (there might even have been guitar overdubs or else two guitarists -- I am not sure). The electric guitar player, in my opinion, saved this ballad! Aspects of the various phrases by the guitarist, and in particular the occasional harmonics and octave movements (both reminiscent of jazz guitarists) make it obvious that whoever played the guitar is indeed a capable and knowledgeable musician.

The drums were there, but nothing was earth shattering about any aspect of the drumming on this piece. The keyboard part consisted of strings playing chords in a rather straightforward, simple progression.

The beauty of this recording, to me, is in the mystery and symbolism in the lyrics, and to a lesser extent in the haunting nature of portions of the singing.

Comment

Your Quote: "The beauty of this recording, to me, is in the mystery and symbolism in the lyrics, and to a lesser extent in the haunting nature of portions of the singing".

I am sure you have gone through and entire day with a song repeating itself in your mind over and over. Sister Lilac has been such a song for me. I bought this Ras Michael CD and have become familiar with all the songs for several year now.

But yes--it's the lyrics of the song that I thoroughly enjoy.

HL

Comment

Working...
                        X