Clear All

• 'Tourism Not For Us' - William Knibb Youths Shun Sector

'Tourism Not For Us' - William Knibb Youths Shun Sector
    Published: Thursday | January 31, 2013 26 Comments

Natasha Brodie
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
    Mark Titus, Gleaner Writer

Western Bureau:

While the Government continues to champion tourism as the great panacea to rescue the economy, sixth-form students at William Knibb Memorial High School in Trelawny, are not enthused about placing their future in the sector.

During a Gleaner-Island Grill Youth Editors' Forum yesterday at William Knibb, the panel of eight students who discussed the topic, 'Falmouth: Jamaica's new economic frontier, fact or fiction?', expressed the view that ordinary Jamaicans no longer have an opportunity to be major players in the sector and were being viewed merely as cheap labour.

"There is segregation, no equal opportunity to get loans for the common man," said Brent Blair. "I am not fighting against the idea of working in the tourist industry but I don't want to build on another man's dream, so if I ventured into the industry, it would be by myself, not building on some rich guy's dream from Italy."

While Blair would not blow the chance to be involved as an entrepreneur, he said such opportunities are not open to the 'common man', who forms the vast majority of the populace in Trelawny.

Nastascia Gossel said the sector does not support enterprising Jamaicans who go out and get themselves well qualified as it would appear that opportunity only exists for person offering cheap labour.

"The industry is not developed properly," said Gossel. "When the students get their degrees and go for employment, hotel managers are usually only seeking cheap labour."

Tajera Morrison thinks racial prejudice is alive in the sector, a situation which she finds totally unacceptable, especially in regard to the high esteem in which she holds herself.

"When you are working in these hotels, they don't want a black person at their front desk, they want nice browning," said Morrison, who hinted that it might be one of the reasons why some persons have resorted to bleaching their skin.

Last year, the Falmouth Pier welcomed more than 612,512 visitors, which was much higher than all the other cruise-ship piers in Jamaica. However, despite that reality, the consensus among the sixth-formers was that tourism lacks the appeal to attract them.

Jilecia Green, one of the gifted group of sixth-formers who the school's sixth-form coordinator, Audrey Steel, described as her 'shining stars', said she does not plan to join the ever-growing list of young persons who are scrambling for the cheap job offers in tourism.

"I would not work in the tourist industry because it is too crowded," said Green. "There are too many persons hunting jobs in the industry."

Currently, tourism contributes between five and eight per cent of the gross domestic product and accounts for 41 per cent of the foreign exchange earned by the productive sector, while employing more than 80,000 persons.

mark.titus@gleanerjm.com

Should we abandon tourism?

Tasanica Ellis:

No, I don't think we should give up on tourism because there's always room for improvement.

Myesha Broadie:

No, because it has provided a lot of revenue for us; we just need to find a way to market it creatively for it to be successful.

Brent Blair:

No, because it is a very prosperous industry, and it has brought a lot to us.

Orlando Dowlatt:

Definitely not; I know a lot of persons who benefit from this, and this is their way of making a living.

Nastascia Gossel:

No, we should try to bond together and improve the tourist industry.

Jilecia Green:

No, we definitely should not abandon it; we just need to improve the conditions within the tourist industry and it will be a lot better for us.

Natasha Brodie:

No, I don't think we should abandon tourism because we gain foreign exchange from it; we just need to find a way to capitalise on what we gain from tourism.

Cory Robinson:

No, I would say no; we should not try to abandon tourism in Jamaica, we should try to uplift tourism.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ead/lead1.html

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Newsflash...that is why you are the "common man"...cause yuh never heducate yuhself sufficiently to change your status...

Comment

what happen to the admin at William Knibb. These kids should be trained that the hotels have no option but to run and employ them.

When they can show me that they have bartender training, waiter training, front office training, Auticultural training, and other basic training then they can talk. How is it when these same students do hospitality training they then don't have the same problem?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I do not get the impression that this panel of students are planning to be bartenders or waiters. They are college bound sixth form students hence the attitude.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

They are in for a rude awakening when dem leave college...

Comment

As are most recent college grads. Don't expect to see them serving you a "dockrey" any time soon though.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Nothing wrong with serving a few dockery on your way to the top. You have to start somewhere. nuff of my friends who have their certificates now have undergraduate and graduate degrees.

It is a starting point not an ending. Not because you are bright or smart means you are qualified.I remember us getting 60 dollars a week in 1986 as stipend and it was a grand time, I could have worked a lot more but it gave me good foundamentals and a toe in the industry and some networking.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Also mi brethren them that went to CAST and did hospitality and the ones who went to Bahamas UWI were novelty in the industry.

Comment

Assasin, I think you missed the students' point completely.

In your experience, what are the possibilities of a black person advancing in our hotel industry?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    what happen to the admin at William Knibb. These kids should be trained that the hotels have no option but to run and employ them.

When they can show me that they have bartender training, waiter training, front office training, Auticultural training, and other basic training then they can talk. How is it when these same students do hospitality training they then don't have the same problem?
                    The kids want an education not a HEART trade-training certificate. Sorry Sass. These youngsters are far more ambitious than that. Yes I did say ambitious.

Comment

Sass don't get it none atall!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Thinking students.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                          They are in for a rude awakening when dem leave college...
                          You are not suggesting that they don't aspire to go to college, are you?.

Comment

I don't know what they aspiring to...they said that tourism holds nothing for "the common man"...the article is about these students shunning the tourism industry...doesn't sound like they are aspiring to much if yuh aks me...unless "the common man" is college heducated

Comment

seriously!

Comment

Working...
                              X