A case of a current student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A case of a current student

I spoke to a 19 year old relative who complete high school in St. Thomas with 3 subjects recently. She said she was doing classes to get more subjects to go to a university.

I told her I know the oppurtunities in St. Thomas is limited and while I hope she got the subjects and got in her choice university, that I would speak to a friend at HEART. I spoke to my friend and she told me should love to talk to her and to be a mentor, and see what she wanted to do. All the kid ahd to do was call. When I spoke to my relative she said she wanted to get in a better college. I said fine, disappointed that she didn't even speak to my friend.

However when her CXC results came in I asked her what was her results and she said "disappointing" I then said the offer still stands, you can call my friend if and when you choose to.

No here is a kid with some potential but her total career is dependent on CXC which she has to wait a year to sit and maybe doing nothing, in no formal program and no formal training, but has a stigma against HEART training and thinks that she will eventually be accepted in a big university.

The above is most of our students and therefore it is better to have a trade which you don't have to use if things work out good but you can always fall back on it when things don't work the way you want it to.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Assasin you should submit an article to both local newspapers on this experience.

I have a graduate degree...but found myself pumping gas at Aamco Gas Station and mowing grass at Bethpage State Golf Course on Long Island (during a certain transitional stage of my life). Not that I wanted these jobs...but I did them [with pride] and out of necessity.

I think most of Jamaica lacks good jobs ethics. They believe in socialized hand-outs and over-all pretty much lazy.

My friend who returned to Jamaica (after living several decades in the US), told me there are local folks begging him for pepper and other crops he planted since he returned. These are local who have same access to land.....

I hope you have "washed your hand" from offering further help.
    Last edited by HL; February 1, 2013, 03:08 PM.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

You know many of the students at Runaway Bay HEART academy were thought basic ethics, including how to dine, and communicate effectively?

Yet we think they can express themselves in interview and walk into people's place. How often do you hear "if I win the lotto?" it All or Nothing.

Yes mi brethren must have us had to do jobs we didn't want to, to achieve anything.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Heart is stigmatized in jamaica on a whole, is only in the tourism sector dem get them just deserts, dats what upset me

Her train of thought is what obtains in schools, academia, employment etc
        the irony of it is you are more likely to eat a proper food in the not so glamorousl jobs these days, i.e mechanic, technician, skilled construction worker

Comment

I had a electrician do some work for me recently and he said what he knew blew most of the other electricians he worked with because he learned a lot of it at Portmore HEART academy. I can't say much more about that program as I have only been there but I am sure it is easier to employ a certificied electrician than somebody telling you he can do the job.

Comment

yes sass heart trainees are some of the best, like miself, but they are an afterthought for the most part to employers, good thing bout it is if yuh have skill yuh can wuk fi yuself or supplement yuh income

Comment

yep, that is what I am talkin about. Even in America in nuff case you have to suppliment your salary so the trade don't hurt. I guess the stigma hurts but I think one of the reason is the hoteliers were on board from day 1. We had the support of Butch, Issa, Rance, and when they say the work experience we did, they wanted most of the then graduates.

Comment

Originally posted by 1of1 View Post
                Heart is stigmatized in jamaica on a whole, is only in the tourism sector dem get them just deserts, dats what upset me

Her train of thought is what obtains in schools, academia, employment etc
                the irony of it is you are more likely to eat a proper food in the not so glamorousl jobs these days, i.e mechanic, technician, skilled construction worker

Too bad.

I read an article about a young lady in the Medical Field (doing something in the emergency room during surgery - something like keeping the patient's heart alive). Can't remember her name. But she said there were only 2 of them in Jamaica doing that and the demand is there.

She was proud of The HEART Trust for landing her on a path to success.
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                  My friend who returned to Jamaica (after living several decades in the US), told me there are local folks begging him for pepper and other crops he planted since he returned. These are local who have same access to land.....

I hope you have "washed your hand" from offering further help.

Him shouldn't give them any, eventhough they will come thief it.

Every year for the past 15 years, I plant peppers, tomatoes and callaloo in pots. And every year I mail dozens of peppers to my pals in Floria, CT, Georgia, NJ and Iowa - plus what I give to neighbors and people in my office.
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

Here is the paradox - certain jobs in Jamaica is stigmatized, but here in the USA, these jobs cary the big salaries. A garbage collector is looked down on in jamdown. A black man here finds it hard to get a job as a garbage collector because these city jobs are controlled by the Italians and Irish. The average city jobs has a starting salary of about 55 - 65K plus good pension and insurance. Overtime pushes that salary up to close to 80k - 100k per annum. Sometimes I wish I had learn a skill instead of being a paper-pushing "brains-type".
                    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

I use a Jamaican plumber who happens to be very good and reliable(a rare combination for tradesmen). He is making close to 6 figures.We have recommended him to 5 or 6 people in our circle of friends and all had good experience with him.

When you need a plumber you usually need him NOW so once you are good and will respond at short notice you can command a premium price.

We Jamaicans (black people generally i think) have a problem with blue collar work of all types. We rate the flight attendant (plane waitress) over the electrician or construction worker because we see it as having more status and I suppose them a browning more often than not.

How can serving people Diet Coke and pretzels be of higher value than fixing people roof or plumbing?

Here in FL it is also rare to see black people doing lawn maintenance and landscaping work. Mexican dem run dat. There is good money to be made but we nah do dat cause slavery done.
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

When I worked on NY construction sites, walking around in my tie having taken a break from the office, I am sure some of those skilled labourers might have thought I was making money. These guys drove their F150s to work during the week and their convertible Cadillacs on weekends!

I am sure many of them pitied me - the uppity little black guy in the tie, can't rub two pennies together and only there because of affirmative action.

And sadly, they were right!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

we have been preconditioned to think that way by our fore parents, "yuh not too bright lef school tek up a trade" especially if you are a male

Comment

When I worked at a certain hotels in Ja, the Bell men made more in tips than what certain managers made in salaries. Can you imagine working at a top resort and you have an average of 20 checkin every evening and people leaving. Now imagine you get between 2 and 20 dollars a person. All you have to do is relate to the guests and make they feel welcome.

Comment

Suh why yuh KYT on Assasin post about the 'ooman who attended HEART and worked her way up from dere? Why?

Thanks.
                              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X