X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gwaan Wykeham!!

Jamaica Tourist Visitors Hit New Record
    Published: Friday | February 15, 2013

Visitor arrivals by air and sea hit a record 3.3 million in 2012, up 7.4 per cent year-on-year, according to newly released tourism data.

Arrivals in 2011 amounted to 3.07 million. Tourist visits also hit the three million mark in 2006.

The bulk of last year's increase came from cruise passenger growth, up 17 per cent, mainly due to the newest port in Trelawny, the Falmouth Cruise Pier, built over a year ago. Total visitors by sea amounted to 1.34 million.

Air passengers staying overnight or stopover arrivals increased marginally by 1.8 per cent to 1.98 million.

Geographically, a rise in Canadian and US visitors balanced the decline in United Kingdom/Europe, down 16.3 per cent and 2.9 per cent, respectively. Canada's growth, however, waned a bit from its previous double-digit growth.

"Cumulatively, the Canadian market main-tained its positive growth during the January to December 2012 period with 6.4 per cent more visitors than in the corresponding period of 2011," stated the monthly statistical report published by the Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB).

In 2012, some 403,200 Canadian visitors stayed in Jamaica compared to some 378,900 that visited during the same period in 2011. The top visitor-producing provinces remained Ontario whilst Quebec was flat, the JTB report said.

Jamaica currently ranks as one of the fastest-growing cruise destination in the Caribbean, based on the pull of the Falmouth Pier. Some 44 per cent of all cruise visitors docked at the Falmouth Pier; one-third at Ocho Rios; and one-quarter at Montego Bay.

Tourism, Jamaica's second-largest earner of foreign exchange, contributed some US$2 billion to the economy in 2011, but expenditure figures for 2012 were undisclosed in the JTB monthly report.

steven.jackson@gleanerjm.com
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Good news is an oasis in these dire times.

Comment

Is Assasin still celebrating his birthday? Somebody gi him a call and tell him bout di good news coming from Bartl...Wykeham desk, please!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Is Assasin still celebrating his birthday? Somebody gi him a call and tell him bout di good news coming from Bartl...Wykeham desk, please!

lol

si wid im ... bday and vday tugeddah might be a double slammy

recovery time may be required

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Bartlette ? is that the female version. Is who name Bartlet anyway. Can't remember right now.

Comment

Cant countenance an ridicule of Bartlett or McNeil...compared to most in both their parties they had tangible and laudable results. Amng the very few...

Comment

You notice the Shipping port is what bought in the tourist?

Let us see how tourism is this year and McNeil will get his due. What happen to the winter numbers?
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                Cant countenance an ridicule of Bartlett or McNeil...compared to most in both their parties they had tangible and laudable results. Amng the very few...
                Willi, maybe they have tangible and laudable results because it would be difficult to mess up tourism! Is Jamaica wi talking bout! All VW a help dem out now!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

So what abt the shipping port? Does it matter how dem reach yah?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Some 44 per cent of all cruise visitors docked at the Falmouth Pier
                    And did what while there? Dem spend any money?

Better than not coming I suppose, but me nuh really see much there yet to attract a visitor off the ship
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

The fact is since 2010 that has been the big injection in tourism. There has been a small increase in stop over last year. Tourism is marketed in most cases 6 months in advance. Yes McNeil keep it going and now it is total on his tenure for the last 6 months and going forward.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Dem spend any money

That is up to us. The people of Falmouth should be rebelling against their councillors, mayors and Chamber of Commerce if they have one.

Comment

Your bias is truly boundless. So yuh crediting the JLP for the port and the arrival numbers now.

You are truly pathetic.

Assasin, leave di green kool-aid alone fi a minute nuh man!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You can credit who you want. We went over the port and the fact is as the article said "The Port is maily responsible for the improvement in tourism in 2012". A nuh me say so.

Comment

Marketing is a constant in tourism....but even given your feelings about a 6 month advance period-- this regime has been in power for 13 months...yes?

So why haven't we had any GWAAN WYKEHAM blandishments from you in the past 7 months???

Comment

Working...
                              X