ok...WILLI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok...WILLI

Former president of the Jamaica Agricultural Society, Opposition Senator Norman Grant on Friday urged Agriculture Minister Christopher Tufton to resist any pressure to sign duty waivers for cassava imports, warning that there could be a glut which would cripple local production.

According to Grant, since the administration announced its decision to focus on building the industry, there have been efforts to short-circuit the prospects of local farmers.

"I know he is under pressure to sign duty waivers to allow the importation of cassava to deal with certain emergency demands that now exists and I am supporting the move that he should not allow it," Grant said, noting that cassava was always a critical product.

"As a result of his push, a lot of people are now planting cassava, which is going to come into crop in another three to four months, and (if) you allow the importers to bring it in, when the crop comes in there is going to be a glut," he warned.

"I am going to back him on this one.We have to stand our ground. I know the lobby is going to be strong but he shouldn't [and] we are going to support him," he added.

Grant made the call during debate on a motion he brought to the Upper House urging the Government to implement policies and programmes to support the growth and consumption of locally grown produce. The senator also called for a committee to be established to identify the cause of the continued increase in imports over the last 25 years and to make recommendations to reverse the trend.

In the meantime, the senator said Jamaica needed to triple its production dramatically by 2013 if it is to significantly reduce dependence on imports.
    "We need to get our production level in short order up to 800,000 (or) 900,000 metric tonnes annually and continue to grow this incrementally thereafter.

"If this is done, not only would the economy enjoy significant growth through the increased production of agricultural items, but we could be rebuilding the rural economy, slowing down the rural to urban drift and dealing with continuous escalation in crime," Grant said.

Commenting further on the appetite of Jamaicans for foreign foods, the senator said the challenges now being faced in the coffee production sector were also cause for concern and suggested that a special cess be imposed on imported coffee. The monies from that cess would be placed in a special fund which would be used to resuscitate the country's coffee crop and fields.
    According to Grant, the market has been flooded with imported coffee because of the challenges now being faced in the sector. He said given the proliferation of overseas brands in the market, Jamaica's coffee product should be given a fair chance to compete.

Meanwhile, he said in order to save the country from importing itself to death, there should be no further cuts to the support for agricultural production.
    "We know cash is tight, but look at those sectors that give you the best opportunity to take you through the difficulties and you have to take some very pointed and strategic decisions that you are going to stick to it.

"We can't be serious about import substitution and increased production when we are going to cut support for the School Gardening Programme, the Jamaica Agricultural Society and the Backyard Gardening Programme," Grant said.
    "These are fundamental programmes that will go to the heart of increasing our production and make us less dependable on imports. I am urging the Government to correct this in the upcoming budget and for periods beyond," he added.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz2SqBpRNGI

NOW show me your proof of opposition to local production and consumption...I still telling you the ridicule was about him copying 70s policies...and to prevent IMPORTS

Comment

Zazz crize!

Mi done tell yuh the ridicule was in 2008 and this article is late 2009, some 18 months later!! It shows even MORE hypocrisy.

Hummutch time mi haffi tell yuh the same thing???

U ah get annoying like moskitto now.

Comment

we not fighting boss man...u did move the parametres to 07-2008? sorry I didnt see

Comment

That was when Cassava was mooted by Tufton. I moved nothing...

Comment

JLP Government Did Not Find Market For Cassava, Says Clarke
            Published: Friday | May 10, 2013 3 Comments

Roger Clarke
            1 2 >
            Daraine Luton, Senior Staff Reporter

AGRICULTURE MINISTER Roger Clarke has blamed the failure of the previous administration to find a market for the sale of cassava as the main reason for the decline in the production of the tuber.

"When we went on this big drive to plant cassava, the people planted, and those cassava, some of them still in the ground now not reaped," Clarke said yesterday.

The minister was speaking during a post-Sectoral Debate press conference at his Hope Road offices in St Andrew.

In 2008, the then Government, with Dr Christopher Tufton leading the agriculture ministry, encouraged mass cultivation of cassava, saying it had tremendous potential to boost economic growth and improve food security.

Following the announcement, the production of sweet cassava moved from 8,250 tonnes in 2008 to 13,011 tonnes in 2011. In the case of bitter cassava, its production moved from 6,741 tonnes in 2008 to 7,522 in 2011.

Data from the latest Economic and Social Survey of Jamaica has indicated that the production of bitter cassava declined from 7,522 tonnes in 2011 to 6,036 tonnes last year, a 19.8 per cent fall-off.

At the same time, the production of sweet cassava fell by 7.9 per cent from 13,011 tonnes to 11,984 over the same period.

Yesterday, Clarke said while there was a drive to expand cassava production, "we did not underpin that with the marketing and whatever else we were going to put it to".

Tufton told The Gleaner yesterday that when the expansion drive was undertaken, there was demand for the tuber.

"There was a lot of effort on the part of many marketing entities to use cassava in a number of ways," he said.

Use in school feeding

During his contribution to the Sectoral Debate on Wednesday, Clarke suggested that it might be worthwhile to use cassava in the school-feeding programme.

Tufton said he applauded Clarke for finally realising the potential of the tuber and challenged him to chart a course so the country could reap rich benefits.

Similarly, Donovan Stanberry, the permanent secretary in the agriculture ministry, said failure to tie marketing with production has been a perennial problem in Government.

"I don't (think) this is unique to cassava," said Stanberry, who served as permanent secretary with Tufton as minister.

"We have had instances in times past where the production has gone ahead of the marketing arrangements. For instance, we were pushing rice, and even though we have not sorted out everything, people have gone out there and planted their rice independently of the ministry."

Tufton, as minister, had embarked on a massive campaign for the production of rice and, since 2010, the production of rice moved from 264 tonnes to 299 last year.

daraine.luton@gleanerjm.com

Comments:

Voice of Reason • 28 minutes ago
            Mr. Clarke held his position in the Agricultural ministry for a lot longer than Mr. Tufton. Did Mr. Clarke find a market for Cassava? Did Mr. Clarke even consider cassava a viable product? All Mr. Clake did was focus on Sugar because Mr Clarke plants sugar cane. Mr. Clarke has been obsessed with praedial larceny and whilst that is a problem Mr. Clarke should now that there are many facets to Agriculture which he should have but did not explore. Mr. Clarke is upset because in the few years Mr. Tufton held the post did much more than Mr. Clarke in improving and marketing the sector and as a consequence has received much acholade from both sides of the fence.... tut tut Mr. Clarke... stop serving up sour grapes
            •Reply•Share ›

yumster • an hour ago
            Mr.Clarke, you argument is petty. Dr. Tufton's thrust was for us to eat more of what we grow and curb on food importation. It is for our scientists to come up with varied uses for cassava. As a farmer, I will not plant cassava again, reap it after 9 months to be sold at $10.00 per ib.
            •Reply•Share ›

Voice of Reason yumster • 26 minutes ago −
            The market is there but Jamaica needs a marketing strategy. You need to get it into the supermarkets, maybe as a packaged product in the freezer section. Therefore I am not thinking of bitter cassava which is normally used for bammies but he other types such as the yellow cassava which is simply boiled and consumed
            •Reply•

Comment

I am still trying to figure out what point you are trying to make...are you saying they were against local production?

Comment

Keep reading, it will eventually sink in...

Comment

Willi ...as a Mathematician more time you allow your EMOTIONS to get the better of you...I am actually in agreement with you, that Roger is not the man for the job...my problem with you is that, every time I ask for evidence, you point me to an article saying either Tufton was ridiculed or met with opposition...and every time the word opposition was used, it was 'vague'...What I want you to do is, point me SPECIFIC instances of OPPOSITION...eg.no growing whatsoever etc...instead of going around in circles

Comment

Is like yuh nuh unnerstand.

I, and many others CAN recall.

So if you cant recall is your problem that. Yuh have more than enuff evidence to see back up, but you forever want more.

Tan deh.

Comment

recall what!

Comment

Working...
                      X