EDITORIAL - We Want Playa's Investment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDITORIAL - We Want Playa's Investment

We, too, are saddened that a major hotel brand like The Ritz-Carlton is leaving Jamaica.

But we are realists, which is why we do not share Mr Edmund Bartlett's hand-wringing and apparent sense of doom over the departure. Mr Bartlett, the opposition shadow tourism minister, should be wary of self-fulfilling prophecies.

First, while The Ritz-Carlton operated the 427-room hotel for 13 years, it has long been more than whispered that the company was on its way out. There have apparently been disagreements between The Ritz-Carlton and the property's owners, Rose Hall LP, adding to any other contributing factors for the departure.

In other words, this decision is not merely a sudden collapse of Jamaica's image and its inability to sustain a high-quality tourism brand.

In any event, it appears, based on reporting by this newspaper, that a very reputable company, Playa Hotels and Resorts, which operates all-inclusive properties in Mexico and the Dominican Republic, is to take over the management of the Rose Hall property. And, significantly, it is to be expanded and refurbished.

We welcome any such investment.

While it is our right, responsibility even, to promote Jamaica as the tourism destination we would like to be, it is ultimately the market that will decide. As Playa Hotels and Resorts and Rose Hall LP are, in this case, doing with their capital. They should be made to feel welcome - unless Mr Bartlett believes that his, or the hands of some bureaucrat dispensing taxpayers' money, are better at shaping such decisions.

Maybe this issue provides an opportunity for a serious discussion on the state and future of Jamaica's tourism, beyond the parroting of yesterday's arrival figures.

Mr Bartlett's notion of an elegant corridor of hotels of multiple stars and highly priced may be a worthy concept to be aspired to. But is there a sustainable, global, large-scale market for this style of tourism in today's economy? And is Jamaica the place for it on that scale.

For now, though, let Playa - and others - come.

Please go, Mayor Harris

Given the People's National Party's (PNP) majority in the St James Parish Council, we are unlikely to have the good fortune of the no-confidence motion, brought by the Opposition, succeeding against the council's chairman, Mr Glendon Harris.

Mr Harris, in our view, has been an embarrassment to the council and the mayorship of the parish's capital, Montego Bay.

It was he who took the oath of office to the backdrop of an approximation of the Jamaican flag. Its green, which happens to be the colour of the opposition Jamaica Labour Party (JLP), was dropped. Mr Harris blamed the decorator.

It was Mayor Harris, at a rally against violence on women, who declared that he knew that "persons in high places" were fuelling crime in St James.

There is no evidence that he took this information to the police. He merely appealed to them to stop.

But more egregious was what can only be interpreted as a cynical attempt by Mr Harris to stall the renaming of the Cornwall Regional Hospital after the late, highly respected health minister, Dr Herbert Eldemire, who happened to be of the JLP. And there is more.

It would be worthy of Mayor Harris if he packs his bags and goes.

Good editorial!

Yes, we all know Bartlett's style. Doom & gloom! Him need to sit down and shut up every once in a while!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Skeng DX View Post

Mr Bartlett's notion of an elegant corridor of hotels of multiple stars and highly priced may be a worthy concept to be aspired to. But is there a sustainable, global, large-scale market for this style of tourism in today's economy? And is Jamaica the place for it on that scale.

For now, though, let Playa - and others - come.
      For now? Guess the writer has been listening to Damion Crawford too much...maybe he didn't hear that Playa is that multiple star hotel...heh heh...we cyaan so fool can we?

Comment

That si the salient point. Playa is an upscale player, so the whole premise of the editorial is WRONG.

Comment

Good?

Playa is higher scale than RC, so the whole premise is wrong.
          He should have been saying that Bartlett is wrong to do doom and gloom as RC is replaced by a more upscale PLAYA, but instead he is saying we should be satisfied with Playa as that is all we can get.

Comment

Mo and Skeng will never get it, that Crawford response was way off in left field.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Exactly...i have no problem with Crawford & the author of this editorial holding the view that mass market trumps upscale (i don't agree but they may have a valid point)...but then they endorse a more upscale hotel taking RC's place...makes no sense...

Comment

how me reach inna this...bhaass ?

Comment

It is very surprising that Crawford is ignorant about Playa. Didn't he study the industry? Given that their properties and brand are well known in the region, you would think he would be armed with more info

Comment

so what is your opinion then????
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

In his zeal to moot Bartlett's criticism he overlooked the facts...youthful exuberance?

Comment

I don't know what's happening...the things you guys are condemning about he's denying...so it makes no sense for me to give an opinion, since I didn't hear the interview

to get an idea whats going, read him and gridamanolist aka bricktop, going back andf forth on twitta @-> https://twitter.com/DamionCrawford

Comment

Are all Playa Hotels the same rating?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The one that is coming to Jamaica is "more upscale than Ritz Carlton"...i know you are busy and don't get much time to browse the forum...so I thought I would help you out

Comment

So what you think about this?

@grindacologist no that's not what I am say at all. I was saying that the notion of upscale is rubbish we want appropriate scale

Comment

Working...
                              X