Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prisoners make video, post it online

-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QfnTSR2ytQ

A video shot by inmates purportedly in one of Jamaica's prisons has made its way to video-sharing sight YouTube.com.

The video entitled, 'Jamaica Prison Life Evilxxx', was uploaded on March 22 and shows men, who are apparently prisoners, in high spirits greeting each other and smoking. It has more than 1,400 hits.

THE WEEKEND STAR was unable to iden-tify which prison the video was recorded and what was used to do the recording. Up to late yesterday prison boss Lieutenant Colonel Sean Prendergast could not be reached for comments. Calls to his cell phones went unanswered.

The video is narrated by a male, who is not seen, but who provides brief information on some of the inmates.

"This a the real prison life, this is how we living inna prison, yuh zimmi," the narrator said as the video begins with four men dressed in white T-shirts looking directly at the camera. "The great Bum Nine, alongside Chop Chop, the great Gainer Chops, Totty ... Minott and see the God yah himself, how dem seh Jesus dead, but him still alive."

The men then walk down a cell block showing what it looks like. Several buckets and water bottles are observed outside the cell doors.

The highlight of the cell block seems to be a wall plastered with several pictures of scantily dressed women. "True a inna prison we deh, we just paste up some girl pon the wall fi gwaan look pon, you see me, cause when we go a road, a same way the girl dem ago nuff inna we catalogue," the narrator emphasised.

An inmate dressed in a yellow shirt gets his minute of fame. The narrator identifies him saying "see the real big man yah. The real boss himself, the real big man Bas himself, western Kingston dads this, no joke about it".

The camera then shifts focus to an inmate identified as the man who assaulted dancehall entertainer Vybz Kartel. "A the man diss weh box down Kartel," the narrator claimed.

Other prisoners are identified. The video ends with the narrator saying "It pass three minute now so we ago cut it, this a real prison life".

You stick a kid in there with a ganja violation, what do you expect him to come out as/ with info and contacts to start his criminal org.

There is no rehabilitation in there but criminal education.Thats what 850k a year down the drain does.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeng DX View Post
      The camera then shifts focus to an inmate identified as the man who assaulted dancehall entertainer Vybz Kartel. "A the man diss weh box down Kartel," the narrator claimed.
      Kartel denies being boxed down, so a lie dem a tell pon Worl Boss!

A Gaza dem a call dung pon dah breddah yah now to rah!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Video inmates transferred

Several of the inmates featured in the video,'Jamaica Prison Life Evilxxx' uploaded on video-sharing site Youtube were transferred yesterday from the prison where the video was recorded with an investigation to follow by the Ministry of National Security.

" There are a number of them in the video that we transferred today (yesterday) away from the location that they did the filming for reasons that I won't go into now," prison boss Lieutenant Colonel Sean Prendergast told THE STAR yesterday.

The Colonel informed our news team that he viewed the video on Thursday after he was made aware of its existence.

" It came to my attention yesterday(Thursday). I went online and I was able to view the video clip and I had a meeting with several senior officers and we determined where it was actually shot," he revealed.

"It was shot at St Catherine Adult Correctional Centre. We have identified the block, we have identified the floor and obviously the inmates in the film made no attempt to hide their identities so we know who they are," he added.

"We got a report on it from the superintendent this morning(yesterday) identifying the various individuals and we are sending it off to the Ministry of National Security for an investigation," he said.

Interestingly, he revealed that several smartphones were confiscated from the inmate who shot the video in a previous incident some time ago.

"Some time before that, the area was searched and the individual who was doing the actual filming, some smartphones were taken off him and we have the phones in custody so we are doing some checks to see if it was the same phones making them and used to load the video on Youtube but that should come out in the investigation," he said.

According to the prison boss, it would be too soon to say if any additional charges will be laid against the inmates involved in the video even though "some things are pretty obvious in the video."

THE WEEKEND STAR broke the story about the existence of the video yesterday. The video was uploaded on March 22 and now has 1,820 views.

- S.W.

Comment

One thing for sure, the inmates in the video will be treated with the utmost respect. None will be batter-bruised for the making of this video. It would be unfortunate if any of them should die from natural causes such as "ulcer, intestinal bleeding, vomiting, diarrhea, HIV and heart failure".

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Can you be specific about the laws they broke?
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Just saying, whether or not they broke any laws or rules, the prison authorities have been embarrassed. And with embarrassment comes beatings, nobody can tell mi different!

And this is not to object to the beatings that are coming, nor am I calling for it. But when the police high command issues idiotic statements like they did yesterday targeting Indecom, I just thought I would remind us that Jamaican police beat. And they kill!

But your guess is as good as mine as to the rules that were broken, one obvious one being the presence of a phone. One wonders how Kartel get so much out of his cell block!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

they illegally film a video in a prison. That is not breaking the law???
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I don't know what the LAW is but I think the rules may prohibit such things.

Hope you are not thinking that I'm saying the inmates did nothing wrong. And I hope u you are not also suggesting that they may deserve a beat down bcos they did something wrong!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

not misunderstanding you one bit. I was answering Hortical asking if any law is broken.. I know you are saying the warders will melt out their own justice because the prisoners show them up and that is what they might do.

I don't know any prison where you can tape without permission of the people in charge.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Ok bossy.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It is likely against prison rules & policy to record a video without permission, and I doubt there would be any laws on the books from parliament. Don't believe there is any disagreement.
                        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

It would make more sense for the correctional officers to be transferred. The commissioner should want to find out how come they had a phone in there.

Nice to see how the inside look though. My lock down was at another facili...TMI!

As you were!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                          X