Campion Still Rules In Math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campion Still Rules In Math

Campion College has shrugged off attempts by Glenmuir High to seize the position of math champion in the recent Gleaner Quality Scores ranking. A recalculation of the scores, due to the discovery of a statistical glitch, has resulted in Glenmuir and Campion switching places.

Quality Scores measure the relative performance of secondary schools over time in the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) examination based on the number of students in grade 11 who are all eligible to sit the examination. However, using data supplied by the Ministry of Education, The Gleaner's analyst unknowingly matched Glenmuir's CSEC math cohort consisting of grade 10 and grade 11 students against Campion's candidates from grade 11 only.

In applying Glenmuir's expanded CSEC math cohort of 341, the school's accurate Gleaner Quality Score for 2012 has been revised to 2856, which would put it in second place among the top-10 secondary high schools. So while Campion remains the undisputed king of mathematics, Glenmuir is a force to be reckoned with.

Glenmuir? Maths? Couldn't be!

You see their administration put a silly rule in place about graduation so obviously nobody in that school has a clue about set theory, geometry or solving equations.

#eternalstudentreasoning
    Last edited by Islandman; May 23, 2013, 10:07 AM.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

there's is an exception to the grad. rule for Maths at Glenmuir...their Maths policy is actually better than campion's ie 4th form students with distinction move onto Add Maths in 5th form

Comment

That only helps those who are not doing Add Maths already though right?

When I was in high school donkeys years ago I did Add. Maths like any other subject over 2 years in 4th and 5th form. Is it still like that for most students?
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

it is the same...but in my opinion it is better to master csec math by the end of 4th form...then move onto pre-calculus[add math] in year 11...

Comment

Behave yuself! Don't see how Campion cold come on top if they cant find10 graders to do the exam or afraid to include them in the sample. Do all the students who sat the exam and then compare. Duh!

Comment

Yes that does sound like a better way to go.

Interestingly enough quite a number of students including myself did A-level Maths (roughly equivalent of CAPE Units 1 & 2 together) in lower sixth and some then did another subject called Further Maths in upper sixth, but I don't remember many students doing CXC maths in one year.

Comment

Yeah i was wondering about that.

You can see clearly though how this kind of ranking results in counterproductive rules like the "no graduation" one.

I am not against ranking as you need some form of measurement, but it seems to me that the Ministry can make some obvious adjustments to their system to deal with this.

Comment

the current cxc math was simplified in 2010...they took out things like radians,proving identities, plotting non linear speed graphs PLUS many other things...to this-> https://www.google.com.jm/url?sa=t&r...46865395,d.eWU

so it'n not as complicated as before...hence easier to master in a year
                  Last edited by Skeng DX; May 23, 2013, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Further Maths ...what was that? multivariable calculus ^ linear algebra or just extra stuff like statistics,mechanics , discrete etc..

Comment

I didn't do it myself, too lazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Further...n_the_syllabus

Comment

take out Hyperbolic functions and Conic Sections I do not see how this is different from CAPE MATH...I guess they asked/ask harder questions
                        Last edited by Skeng DX; May 23, 2013, 12:34 PM.

Comment

It is all about the level of detail you get to though isn't it? I mean there is calculus and then there is CALCULUS, there is mathematical statistics like mean , mode. median and then there is STATISTICS. I know that in my time only the best maths brains did it.

Here is a more detailed syllabus.
                          http://www.gov.mu/portal/sites/meswe...231_y13_sy.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                            t in my time only the best maths brains did it.

Here is a more detailed syllabus.
                            http://www.gov.mu/portal/sites/meswe...231_y13_sy.pdf
                            so I guess man like jawge,willi,exile and mawdem did this

Comment

actually I emailed cxc a while back and asked them why they didn't offer this option ... they said
                              I am responding to your email below. After an examination of the current CXC Mathematics offerings, we believe that the current CAPE Pure Mathematics and Applied Mathematics syllabuses are adequate for any further study in Mathematics. With ongoing reviews of these syllabuses, they are updated periodically to meet the demands of the mathematics requirements for university. Many of the topics in the Pure Mathematics Syllabus and Applied Mathematics Unit 2 are in fact covered Further Mathematics.

In addition, the Further Mathematics is generally taken by a small group of students. Bear in mind also that only a few schools across the region can boast of experienced and qualified teachers to effectively deliver a Further Mathematics Syllabus.
                              that's why I asked if was stats ^ mechanics etc...

see applied math syllabus-> http://www.cxc.org/SiteAssets/CAPE_S...7_Syllabus.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X