Full Scholarship U.S. Space Academy for expelled balck teen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Scholarship U.S. Space Academy for expelled balck teen

Teen Who Was Expelled From School For Science Explosion Receives Full Scholarship U.S. Space Academy

Added by blacklikemoi on May 22, 2013.
    Saved under Black News, Black Women
    Tags: African Americans, arrested, Boyce Watkins, christopher emdin, Columbia University, Dr, education, fire, high school, Kiera Wilmot, NASA, police, Space Academy, teenager
    Kiera Wilmot made an honest mistake, but the police were trying to throw away her life with a felony. After the community stood up for the girl, the charges were dropped, and she was allowed to move on with her life. Well, her greatness is really starting to shine, as she was recently granted several extraordinary opportunities through scholarship offers she has received.
    Dr. Boyce Watkins recently wrote about another group of students who were arrested for throwing water balloons. Is it now open season on black children? We have to start asking ourselves why it’s suddenly become so easy for a black child to be sent to prison or jail. It appears that learning and education have been outlawed by the school systems, but getting arrested has become a leading trend. Rev. Jesse Jackson also regularly mentions all the schools in Chicago with “old books but brand new metal detectors.”

Dr. Christopher Emdin, a professor of education at Columbia University, says that the schools are now very similar to prisons in terms of how they are structured, and how the inhabitants are treated. Kiera overcame her situation, but there are thousands of kids across the country who aren’t so lucky. Maybe it’s time to attack the system that is attacking us.
    Check this out from Gawker:
    Kiera Wilmot, the 16-year-old honor student expelled from her high school after she allegedly ignited a chemical explosion on school property, received a full scholarship to the U.S. Space Academy, courtesy of a NASA veteran who, as a teenager, was accused of starting a forest fire during a science experiment.
    The lessons here are simple: Black kids have potential, and we can’t allow this system to destroy them. Also, hard work always pays off, especially when it comes to education. Dr. Boyce Watkins and Minister Louis Farrakhan recently held a forum called “Wealth, Education, Family and Community: A New Paradigm for Black America.” In the forum, Dr. Watkins and Min. Farrakhan both agree that African Americans are going to have to think differently when it comes to deciding what it means for your kids to be educated.
    “Only a fool allows those who hate him to educate his children,” says Dr. Watkins. ”People also have to learn that there is a difference between going to school and truly being educated.”
    Dr. Watkins shares video from his forum with Min. Farrakhan in a popular online class that he is offering. Watkins says that new paradigms of thought must be embraced by African Americans if they are going to confront the ills of the American educational system.
    “If we don’t stand up to this nonsense, then no one will,” says Dr. Watkins, who was placed in special education as a child. “We are in a war for the souls and future of our children. ”

Wikid story my yute

Mi si Farrkhan re-emerge....one a dese days mi shudda run one roll call fi di Million Man March...di mose amazing ting mi witness inna Babylon by far
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

I remember it well...shld have gone...

Comment

”People also have to learn that there is a difference between going to school and truly being educated.”

Comment

1 million+ Black males...not one fuss much less fight..or visible Fish

Jah is truly amazing

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Mussi a boys school ting.. dat deh environment cyaan healthy !

1 Million man and not one gyal pickney deh bout ??!!

No babah...

Comment

Jah is truly amazing

Comment

Ah wheh di !?

Comment

And being schooled

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Urban education in America is a fast track to the penitentiary. Those educational slave masters can go p.h.u.c.k off.
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I bet she likes fried chicken too!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Years ago while I was living in the US and went to my daughter's school, I saw a young black kid - a boy, maybe around 6 or 7 - outside a classroom standing in the sun...crying...I asked him what was the matter and he told me the teacher had put him outside the class....as punishment...to cut a long story short, I took I him to the Principal...teacher was called in...don't know what happened after...never saw the kid after that...
                        I could give you stories...

Comment

Thank GOD. GO out and SHINE GIRL, SHINE, SHINE, SHINE
                          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Criminal Justice, Police Practices, Students & Youth Rights
                            An Unexpected Reaction: Why a Science Experiment Gone Bad Doesn’t Make Me a Criminal

admin
                            By Kiera Wilmot

After model student Kiera Wilmot (pictured, left, with her twin sister Kayla) was arrested and removed from her high school for doing a science experiment on school property, hundreds of thousands of people across the country signed petitions asking for charges to be dropped and for her to be reinstated in school. Kiera’s school’s zero-tolerance approach, like so many schools across the country requires severe discipline and does not improve student behavior or improve our schools. It just pushes kids out of school, harming their futures and perpetuating the school-to-prison pipeline. Below, Kiera blogs for ACLU.org about how she and her family have been affected by the school-to-prison-pipeline.

(This piece originally appeared on the ACLU’s Blog of Rights)
                            My science teacher said we could each pick a science project that has to do with biology, chemistry or physics. He said we couldn’t do a baking soda and vinegar volcano because that was at the fifth grade level. I especially like chemistry, and the reacting. I like seeing two or more different things become something else. So I was asking friends around for project ideas. Someone suggested to me to combine aluminum foil and toilet bowl cleaner in a water bottle to make a volcano.

That morning I was taking the experiment to be approved by my teacher. My friends and I were outside, and they wanted to see how it worked. Eventually they convinced me to try it. It did not react the way I expected it to. The lid popped off and smoke came out. If I could go back in time, I definitely wouldn’t have done it.

The principal and dean of discipline came over and asked me to tell them what happened. I was kind of scared, but I thought they’d understand it was an accident. Before that, I’ve never gotten in trouble this year other than a dress code violation because my skirt was two inches too short. I told him it was my science experiment. In my third period class I was called up to discipline. I wrote a statement to the dean of discipline explaining what had happened. Afterward I was told to sit on the resource officer’s office. They told me I made a bomb on school property, and police possibly have the right to arrest me. I didn’t know what they classified as a bomb. I was worried I accidently made a bomb. I was really hurt and scared. I was crying.

They didn’t read me any rights. They arrested me after sitting in the office for a couple minutes. They handcuffed me. It cut my wrist, and really hurt sitting on my hands behind my back.

They took me to a juvenile assessment center. I was sitting in this room with no clock so it felt like years of me sitting there. When my mom came, she didn’t say anything. She just had this really disappointed look, and told me I lost privileges. But she’s really been supportive of me. I don’t know what would have happened if I didn’t have my mom. I would have dug a hole and sat there for the rest of my life.

I don’t think police should have been involved because I’m a good student for one. And two, it was a big deal, but it wasn’t like people were hurt and the school was in shatters. I maybe should have gotten 10 days suspension or a work detail where on Saturday you wake up early and pick up trash around the school.

I was very relieved they were dropping the charges. It means I can actually do something with my life. I was afraid this would be on my criminal record. I want to go to college and get a degree in technology design and engineering. I want a career building robots that can do tasks like surgeries or driving cars.

A couple good things have come out of this. Someone heard about what happened to me and gave me a scholarship to space camp. I’m super stoked about space camp with Mr. Hickam this summer! There’s a zero-gravity tank I can’t wait to try! But it’s been pretty rough for my sister. Recently she was hit in the face by a girl. It’s been hard because we usually do everything together. I’m getting all the attention and scholarships and she feels left out.

Right now I’m at Bill Duncan Opportunity Center, which is for students who were kicked out of school. People are teasing me and calling me a terrorist. And the school is actually quite easy. I’m not getting the challenge that I used to have. I don’t have homework. There is no German class, and there is no orchestra. I probably couldn’t even bring my cello because I was told the students would steal it.

I was very happy about everyone signing petitions. I think a lot of people have supported me because I’m so young and everybody makes mistakes.
                            My message to young students is to study your passion and work towards your dreams and goals no matter what gets in your way.

Learn more about student rights in school and other civil liberty issues: Sign up for breaking news alerts, follow us on Twitter, and like us on Facebook.
                            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                            - Langston Hughes

Comment

I wonder what me bredren Jawge thinks the teaching of maths and science is like in this school?

Preventing a model student from graduating is silly, arresting a model student for this is just plain evil.
                              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                              X