Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suh wheh dem ah duh innah Sav ??

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...n-Westmoreland

There is a reason we have All-Inclusives !

Friendly fire..collateral damage....is that a the real wild wild west..

Comment

We cannot be flippant about this!

The problem is that this is not a Jamaican; it is an American visitor.

Of course, a life is a life, but if we start killing our American visitors, the economic impact can be devastating! The reason is obvious: the tourism industry plays a vital role in Jamaica’s well being (along with remittances), and so a Travel Advisory by the US government is the last thing we need at this time, trust me!

I do not take the killing of tourists lightly, as the consequences can adversely impact our entire nation.

We have the fairly recent example of Aruba to remind us whenever we forget!

Comment

So a more valuable life you say...greater impact.....ok..

Comment

But isn't it ("impact&quot obvious?

Originally posted by Exile View Post
          So a more valuable life you say...greater impact.....ok..
          Don’t get me wrong. As I stated in my second sentence above, “a life is a life,” meaning that every decent person, regardless of origin, is important.

The point I’m alluding to is that many Jamaicans (almost certainly “most”) do not appreciate the importance or the fickleness of the fastest growing industry in the world, the tourism industry. When it comes to tourists, I get nervous when I read of them being robbed, assaulted or killed.

In the case of American tourists in particular, the US Embassy keeps a close eye on their welfare, and the State Department will not hesitate for even a second to publish a travel advisory. Too much is at stake for our underperforming nation to be messing with this valuable lifeline, tourism!

By the way, I never fail to be amazed when posters here recommend Kingston as an official visiting area for tourists. Again, nationalism has obviously overtaken reality and rationality in these posters’ minds.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
            By the way, I never fail to be amazed when posters here recommend Kingston as an official visiting area for tourists. Again, nationalism has obviously overtaken reality and rationality in these posters’ minds.
            What's wrong with Kingston? When was the last time a tourist was murdered or harmed in Kingston? Does Kingston have places for tourists to go?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

We should be looking for Chinese tourists now...they have the biggest market and spends the most.
              Kingston is no worse than other parts of Jamaica if you cut out the hotspots (Panish Town for example) as all of Jamaica is now compromised.

Comment

Long time mi a tell unnu that violence within itself is not the biggest distraction for tourist. Yes violence play a role but check out some places in Porto Rico, Rio, Isreal, and so many other cities that have huge tourism numbers.

In Jamaica tourist is rarely harmed but they are harassed, which is what is the number one cause of people not wanting to return. Check the visitors card for any hotel, or attraction and you will see. Kingston could be viable by packing a few spots first.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Mombasa, Kenya is at the same time one of the most beautiful and one of the most volatile places in East Africa...nuff tourists.

That said, US tourists are less tolerant of negative news reports than others and that is our bread and butter, at least for now.

Last edited by Islandman; June 3, 2013, 03:04 PM.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Islandman:

Quote: "‎There will never be a shortage of opportunities for people who know how to solve problems" - Dean Kamen, inventor and entrepreneur"

Jamaicans are not problem solvers... (as PR would say...IMO)
                    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

The thing is word of mouth spread and when one person feel harassed they tell 10 other people and it prove to them what they suspect (even when it is not the case).
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sas, we need to change our Tourism Model if JAMAICA is to benefit.....AI's alone wont cu't it....the Boutiques are few and far and over-rated and the over support and infrastructure is under stress....electricity, roads, health, security.....

Comment

We definitely need to do. But first and foremost we need to provide better customer service and just good manners. You don't have to treat tourist as Massa but as peers. You don't beg but show pride like the "banana man" and ask questions.

With that we do need a lot more community venture but why would people invest when the communities care nothing about tourism(been a devil's advocate). We keep on looking for man with money fi come do a thing when when we have a good thing we don't realize. I support the things like Rasta Village, Charlstown Maroon and other community venture. Remind me later this year let me talk about a small little venture.

Comment

Old time people sey manners hv to start at home. If Jamaicans have no respect for each other then whe yu expect?

Comment

same so. a very basic example. instead of pulling people hand and asking "you want a taxi"?

How about asking "how is your trip so far?" My name is John and I am available if you need a taxi. It get them everytime.

Comment

Working...
                              X