Rory (Stone Love) Is Making Sense!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rory (Stone Love) Is Making Sense!

I thought that what Rory had to say is important enough to warrant posting here. The man is making a lot of sense in what he thinks, says and does!

Extract below taken from The Jamaica Observer, Friday, June 14, 2013
    (http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/enter...ments_14485284 )

"I could have taken the easy way out... create some beats and 'riddims', draw for the biggest artistes, record them, and release a string of sub-standard tunes. But that is not my style," he explains.

"I like being the voice of the unknown. I get a rush out of finding that voice, that artiste that nobody has heard of, or has not heard from in a long while, and work with them... I get a rush from that," he adds.

Even Gilligan's production methods are different from prevailing trends. He is not into looping tracks, but rather records section by section with melodic introductions which he hopes will produce a signature sound.

Reflecting on his days at the turntable, he winces at some things he did.
    "Now that I'm in my 40s and a lot more conservative I look back at how stupid I was in the things I did and said during the 1980s and '90s. That's why now I cannot record certain things and certain artistes, because I know the power of the microphone and the music, and the effect it can have on people, despite what other people want to say."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/enter...#ixzz2WDMkSADI

mi glad you see some things happening. Yeh man music evolve.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

'Sass, You Missed My Point

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      mi glad you see some things happening. Yeh man music evolve.
      ‘Sass, I posted this because it corresponds with what I have been saying on this forum for years! I did not learn much from Rory’s comments; I simply posted it as verification/support for my past comments.

To select just one example: “I could have taken the easy way out… create some beats and ‘riddims’, draw for the biggest artistes, record them, and release a string of sub-standard tunes….”

Of course I am fully aware that the music is evolving! My concern has always been does it have to evolve downward?!

Comment

fact is, there is always good music but it depends on what the DJs play.
        Younger artists tend to be more reckless with the music and buy into the hype, they need guidance and it is good to see man like Rory giving back and working with these artists. You have commented that the talent is not there but I don't think it is so much the talent but proper guidance is needed.

Anyway hope it work out for him because the return is what decides if he can continue to do the sessions rather than beats in the long run.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Rory is now a Ras and is focusing on rasta music...totally different lane...convenient to now be ashamed of what built him...Rory to do him thing and leave the dancehall outta him mouth...

Comment

Agree, the dancehall scene has made him $$$ over the years and don't be a damn hypocrite.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Why call the man a hypercryte ,Rory has grown up,just like alot of us ,dancehall played its role on all of us .

When you reach a certain age , you go back to your roots ,his roots are in the 70s as a child where his musical impression began, dub,roots,reggae and lovers rock.

Kudos to Rory.
              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
              X