Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicaragua Canal!!!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...oject/2420939/

If this ever gets built to handle the largest of ocean liners, jamaica would be poised to be right on top of what could become the greatest trade route in the world, with all pacific/ Atlantic trade coming through the panama or the Nicaragua canals. Lets see if this is just another pipe dream or whether this has a chance to actually happen.

Even if it comes through, those keystone cops who are our politicians would likely waste the opportunity the way we seem to be wasting the panama canal one!

The way we wasted the momentum of France 98

The way we Are missing the boat on legalizing the production of marijuana/hemp

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Well Stoni, with the Panama Canal expansion we are already poised and we have done nothing.

It seems we like being poised and staying there.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Interesting I read where Califonia know they are going to lose about 30% of their traffic to the East coast so they are making major changes to use train yards close r to their port to use train to carry goods. Environmentalists are trying to stop this move and they want to complete it by next year.

Savannah port in GA expect to benefit and congress is hold up some of the money but the GA politicians are saying full speed ahead as they want to complete by next year.

Now we don't even have a date on this thing anymore. Dredging have to wait on us selling the port. Wasn't it within the last 10 years some dredging was done in the Kingston port? What they had no idea then?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sass the handling of this Panama Canal thing has changed my views on what is possible for Jamaica in its current setup. There are forces which just don't want anything to change, either that or we are so incompetent that we cannot change our path on our own.

Me nuh know if its revolution,, or its rent out the country to people who know how fe run things and collect a small percentage, but 50 years into this and we just not up to it.

As Muadib say, give that likkle piece of real estate named Jamaica to a progressive set of people to run and in 25 years the place would be unrecognizable.

English speaking? US proximity? Natural port and Panama Canal Proximity? Natural resources? Excellent weather? Wha Claude Clark say, if somebody did tell you say a country have all those and still manage fe achieve zero growth you woulda say is lie.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Iman we have excuse for everything. We always looking what people have instead of building. Remember when Dominican Republic was nothing near Tourist destination and we had 2 million tourists a year. We stood by and now they have 6 million and we have 3 million. We use to export to them now we importing from them.

We could go on and on. My visit to the new farmers market this week is another example. We have fruit rotting and the quality here is not better than ours yet we can't sell them. ah bwoy.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Hey you know what after reading all your comments it is really depressing but very much true. Sometimes I wonder if is our generation that failed Jamaica by leaving en masse, but the truth is this thing spwile from morning and the only real positive change we have had since emancipation seemed to be crown colony government after Morant Bay rebellion weird as that sounds and during the Norman Manley time, sometimes I wonder what could have happened if Norman lived ten to fifteen more years and if he won the 62 elections and stayed in power through the 60' into the 70's, it could have changed the trajectory of the economy and culture, but who is to say it may have just delayed the inevitable malaise that we know today.

Comment

Politicians wasted momentum from France 98??

That's novel
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

In an indirect way but while not politicians as in government it is still "politics"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Sometimes I wonder if is our generation that failed Jamaica by leaving en masse..
                    I think about that all the time. I certainly does not help to have 80+% of your professional class leaving so we have to accept some of the responsibility.

I don't believe that just staying would have been enough though.. Its the culture of how we live, do business and govern that has to change. We in the diaspora can still make some contributions in those areas, indeed those who are in a position to do that should.

Comment

yow big man...yuh get mi message bout di Final Frontier???

...ok mi juss si yuh response....

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Yes...answered just a while ago.

Comment

cool

Comment

Working...
                          X