X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Culture: A Major Part of the Problem

Dancehall's Diet A Broken Record
    Published: Tuesday | June 18, 2013

Well, this just won't do. Switching from radio station to radio station, trying to find something to listen to, often proves tedious these days, doesn't it? A little more variety, particularly in the local offerings, would go a long way.

This is fairly ironic, given the tone of the growing campaign to loosen restrictions on parties that go on till the wee hours of the morning. Irate sound-system operators and artistes have taken to the airwaves, saying dancehall music, in particular, is under attack, and that enforcement of the 2 a.m. cut-off time for parties is a symbolic middle finger to lovers of the genre.

They say this is the sound of the 'ghetto people', and that to interfere with this expression is to unfairly hinder the freedom of the masses. Now, how true all this is really is a matter of debate. You may agree, or you may see it as a crass generalisation that supposes that all inner-city residents love dancehall music and want more of it. We'll leave that matter alone, for now.

What seems to have been left out of the debate, though, is the alarmingly low quality of much of the dancehall music being produced these days.

It's like the songs are being rolled out on a Jetsons-style conveyor belt that has been stuck on the same setting for years. The last thing we need are more 'mama', 'bad-mind' or 'badman' tunes. Give it a rest already. Find other things to focus on so you can surprise your supporters and silence your critics at the same time.

Dancehall music can be highly entertaining and even uplifting, when done right. It just seems that the effort to get it right isn't as prevalent as the people who want to become dancehall stars. The result is mediocrity.

SKETCHING JAMAICAN MAN

Let's pretend for a moment that we all agree that the genre really is a reflection of life in Jamaica. What can we learn from this?

If we simply go by the lyrics of the average 2012-2013 dancehall track, we can actually develop a sketch of the ideal modern Jamaican man. He's the man the artistes claim to be and the one they insist all males should aspire to be. So who is he?

Well, most important, he is NOT a homosexual. This must be made abundantly clear by repeating, as often as may be necessary, that he will be damned before he ever considers wearing another man's trousers. He's far richer than his many enemies. Why he has all these enemies is not important. Just blame it on bad mind.

He has true friends with whom he has been close for years. He can sing lovingly of them, reminiscing on their lives together and how close they are. There is nothing gay about this, though, since they have never, and will never, share clothes.

His mother is a fine woman who will forever be the lady in his life. While he never goes in search trouble, he does own lots of guns, and his aforementioned friends have even bigger guns. So be careful what you do and say around him. He may be dressed like a dandy, but it's OK, the clothes are all top brands. There's nothing wrong with fur coats and male leggings, as long as they're expensive.

AMAZONIAN ACROBATS

The modern Jamaican woman, as described in dancehall lyrics, is no more complicated. She's an absolute acrobat in bed. This is the thing she is most proud about. Everyone knows about her bedroom proficiency, even though she certainly doesn't sleep around. She will do whatever is necessary to hold on to her man, even if this involves inflicting harm on female competitors.

Her man is her whole life. She will give him as many children as he desires, and will accept that he needs other women to keep him sexually satisfied. She enjoys bending herself into the most uncomfortable positions at parties so people will say she is a fabulous dancer. She does all her shopping overseas and her house is full of the priciest furniture. She will seduce other women's men if the mood strikes her.

So, is this who we are? I hope not. As I do with the music, I long for more diversity and variety. I find that makes everything more interesting.

Robert Lalah is the features editor and author of the popular 'Roving with Lalah'. Email feedback to columns@gleanerjm.com and robert.lalah@gleanerjm.com.

Yeah! Bring on the American Country music. So much more uplifting. Add some US rap, pop, so musical and pleasing to the ear, and of course Gospel - how will we manage without it? For the enlightened and sophisticated, throw in a little Jazz. Did I forget Blues?
    Any here ever play a scratched record? I mean really scratched?

More:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancehall

Comment

Entertaining read! Also a very good caricature of "real" Jamaicans as described by today's dancehall music.

Good writers appear to be in short supply in all forms of popular music. Have you listened to most of contemporary R&B songs? Not much variety there either.

It seems to be what the major labels in the music industry want, cookie cutter music and disposable artistes. Or maybe I am just getting old(er)
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Utterly Ridiculous!!

Originally posted by Exile View Post
        Yeah! Bring on the American Country music. So much more uplifting. Add some US rap, pop, so musical and pleasing to the ear, and of course Gospel - how will we manage without it? For the enlightened and sophisticated, throw in a little Jazz. Did I forget Blues?
        Any here ever play a scratched record? I mean really scratched?
        There we go again! Our quasi-liberalism refuses to accept that things can be wrong in Jamaican society. Exile, it’s generally good to be nationalistic, but there comes a point when we have to get serious about certain overriding issues! As the popular saying goes, there comes a time when we have to call a spade a spade!

To be specific, your highly emotive post makes little practical sense! Why, for example, are you deriding gospel music? Of course gospel music involves a much more positive and uplifting message than dancehall does! Also, why are you including jazz – with its overriding emphasis on musical innovation, technical brilliance and improvisation – with the genre of music that the Gleaner feature story writer discussed?

But even more to the point, where on earth did you get the impression that I was suggesting that American popular music is better in terms of its social impact? The writer expressed several concerns about OUR newest popular music form with which I fully agree (hence my posting of his article), because we have somehow become lost in this originally well-intentioned effort at giving a voice to the dispossessed (and please do not bring Marley or Tosh into this thread). Today, what we have in the majority of cases is a cacophony of sound and questionable lyrics which have the exact opposite of an uplifting message, but some people, in their misguided nationalism, see no problem with ANYTHING in Jamaica as long as it is coming from the poor.

Finally, your metaphoric reference to “scratched record” is utterly ridiculous when one considers that there is a certain negative dynamic at work in Jamaica (to cite just one example, those who bombard the media with criticisms of the commonsense limiting of night time music sessions). Your metaphorical “scratched record” has to be played from time to time as a rebuttal to the gutter-vibes that are threatening to completely take over our country.

On the other hand, why am I wasting time responding to your nonsensical outburst?! Continue, boss, and do not let me be a hindrance.

Comment

I Might Add....

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
          Entertaining read! Also a very good caricature of "real" Jamaicans as described by today's dancehall music.

Good writers appear to be in short supply in all forms of popular music. Have you listened to most of contemporary R&B songs? Not much variety there either.

It seems to be what the major labels in the music industry want, cookie cutter music and disposable artistes. Or maybe I am just getting old(er)
          “Variety”? Trust me, I have very little concern with variety! At the height of reggae’s reign in the 1970s, there was not a great deal of variety (the recordings were almost all limited to two or three themes), but that does not make the output of that era any less relevant and memorable.

So, the concern here is NOT so much with variety as with a certain message bias that is having an effect on young minds. When last, for example, have you spoken with a responsible Jamaican educator -- that is, one who is still working in the school system?

By the way, I fully share your view that good writers are hard to find nowadays. It is hard to argue with this view. However, in the case that the Gleaner writer has focused on, the problem is much more than merely a lack of good writers! We are talking about downright irresponsible writers, and this in itself (in my opinion) demonstrates to an immense extent the failure of our educational system!

And no, Islandman, I am sure that your view is not merely because you are “getting older,” although, as in Rory’s (former Stone Love selector) case which was demonstrated in my post a few days ago, being older also brings with it a greater level of maturity and responsibility. This is where experience and hindsight play a role!

Comment

that is what I am telling Historian them and they are not listening. There are many reasons why this is happening.

1) Singing is no longer a career for too many good singers. Once you get popular it is now unto the movies, reality shows etc.

2) Radio DJs are not just playing catchy prhases instead of fully composed songs so if you want to get your music on the air you have to go with the flow.

3) Record companies are not making the money they once made from record sales so now they push their music in movies, video games, and Ringtones which do really use full songs. If you are an "artist" then you can have shows and now the record companies are even managing the show and royalties, something which some didn't do a while back.

Now it Is either make it big or make it now at all and that is one of the reason 'beat making" is so common because most people will not carry a 5 piece band in a studio and have them for 5 hours. Somebody have to pay for it, rather you get a beat and "yu gone"

Tell me how many current R&B singer currently out there now that you would actually pay 60 dollars to go and see?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You still have some good young writers out there. Fact is there songs are not been played, and some even think, why bother??

We could name a whole host of decent Jamaican song writers out there currently but the tunes may not get the time of day.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Did it EVER occur to you that:
                1. I could have been literal?
                2. I could just be pulling your leg?
                3. You take yourself much too seriously?
                4. I was providing another perspective?

Lighten up a bit.

Comment

We are becoming our grandparents.

Simple.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Speak for yourself Sir.

Comment

Working...
                    X