Can we get some feedback on this? Or ppl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we get some feedback on this? Or ppl

gonna wait for a party response before dem know wha fi say? If unuh want, just scroll down to the bullet points.

Bruce Golding yesterday placed job creation at the centre of an economic strategy that his Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) would pursue if it is elected to form the Government at the next general election.
    "The principal objective of our strategy must be jobs, jobs and more jobs," Golding, the opposition leader, declared in his contribution to the annual budget debate in the House of Representatives.
    "Job creation cannot be a hoped-for by-product of our economic strategy. It has to be the central purpose of that strategy," he added.
    In a speech which, he made clear, will be his last budget contribution prior to the next general election, Golding pledged to do everything in his power to ensure a peaceful election and called on "Labourites" to support that commitment.
    However, Golding laced the speech with his election theme "Time for a change", and lashed the Government for failing to stimulate growth which, he said, was the fundamental problem with its economic strategy.
    "We will never be able to lift our people out of poverty by way of crash programmes, PATH programmes or poverty alleviation programmes," he said. "We just don't have the money: it is all gone to service debt. Create jobs for the people and they will get rid of the poverty themselves."
    Golding then went on to list a number of changes the JLP would institute as part of its economic and social agenda in government, including:
    . Creating a blueprint for tackling crime based on recommendations emanating from the task force led by former commissioner of police Colonel Trevor MacMillan;
    . Expanding the powers of the public defender to defend people's constitutional rights, and establishing an independent body to investigate abuses by the security forces;
    . Appointing a special prosecutor, with wide powers, to vigorously pursue corruption in the public sector;
    . Abolishing public hospital fees and establishing fully equipped diagnostic centres, with dialysis machines, at regional hospitals;
    . Removal of all secondary school level tuition fees and increase spending on basic education;
    . Restoring participation in sports as a required part of the school curriculum;
    . Restructuring the development approval process by fast-tracking the proposed national building code and the promulgation of development orders, as well as establishing a single authority capable of dealing with development approvals within 90 days by shifting the burden from the applicant to the agency;
    . A physical development plan, for rural and urban areas, to parallel the proposed national development plan;
    . An independent Bank of Jamaica reporting to Parliament, instead of the minister of finance;
    . Diversifying tourism promotion to focus more on the higher-end market;
    . Combining offshore financial activities with the Fort Augusta free port shopping project, as the basis for the redevelopment of downtown Kingston;
    . Setting up a major craft training centre on the North Coast as the basis for a "powerful" craft industry;
    . Expand cruise shipping facilities in Ocho Rios;
    . Create an agricultural revolution based on a greenhouse technology programme;
    . Increase government support for the manufacturing sector;
    . Reposition HEART/NTA to respond to skills requirement for targeted investments, as well as expected increased competition from Caricom and to reduce the need for foreign workers;
    . More aggressive investment promotion policy and removal of bureaucratic obstacles to investing; and
    . Passage of labour market reform proposals arising from the 1990s George Eaton study
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Re: Can we get some feedback on this? Or ppl

gonna wait for a party response before dem know wha fi say? If unuh want, just scroll down to the bullet points.

Bruce Golding yesterday placed job creation at the centre of an economic strategy that his Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) would pursue if it is elected to form the Government at the next general election.
    "The principal objective of our strategy must be jobs, jobs and more jobs," Golding, the opposition leader, declared in his contribution to the annual budget debate in the House of Representatives.
    "Job creation cannot be a hoped-for by-product of our economic strategy. It has to be the central purpose of that strategy," he added.
    In a speech which, he made clear, will be his last budget contribution prior to the next general election, Golding pledged to do everything in his power to ensure a peaceful election and called on "Labourites" to support that commitment.
    However, Golding laced the speech with his election theme "Time for a change", and lashed the Government for failing to stimulate growth which, he said, was the fundamental problem with its economic strategy.
    "We will never be able to lift our people out of poverty by way of crash programmes, PATH programmes or poverty alleviation programmes," he said. "We just don't have the money: it is all gone to service debt. Create jobs for the people and they will get rid of the poverty themselves."
    Golding then went on to list a number of changes the JLP would institute as part of its economic and social agenda in government, including:
    . Creating a blueprint for tackling crime based on recommendations emanating from the task force led by former commissioner of police Colonel Trevor MacMillan; yet to be convinced about how serious they are to combat crime. When you defend a garrison such as Tivoli...
    . Expanding the powers of the public defender to defend people's constitutional rights, and establishing an independent body to investigate abuses by the security forces;
    . Appointing a special prosecutor, with wide powers, to vigorously pursue corruption in the public sector;
    . Abolishing public hospital fees and establishing fully equipped diagnostic centres, with dialysis machines, at regional hospitals;
    . Removal of all secondary school level tuition fees and increase spending on basic education; electioneering. Not gonna happen.
    . Restoring participation in sports as a required part of the school curriculum; GREAT!
    . Restructuring the development approval process by fast-tracking the proposed national building code and the promulgation of development orders, as well as establishing a single authority capable of dealing with development approvals within 90 days by shifting the burden from the applicant to the agency; Good!
    . A physical development plan, for rural and urban areas, to parallel the proposed national development plan;
    . An independent Bank of Jamaica reporting to Parliament, instead of the minister of finance;
    . Diversifying tourism promotion to focus more on the higher-end market;
    . Combining offshore financial activities with the Fort Augusta free port shopping project, as the basis for the redevelopment of downtown Kingston;
    . Setting up a major craft training centre on the North Coast as the basis for a "powerful" craft industry; Personally sick of "craft training centres".
    . Expand cruise shipping facilities in Ocho Rios;
    . Create an agricultural revolution based on a greenhouse technology programme;
    . Increase government support for the manufacturing sector;
    . Reposition HEART/NTA to respond to skills requirement for targeted investments, as well as expected increased competition from Caricom and to reduce the need for foreign workers; Spend the money on schools! HEART exists because our schools failed. We should be phasing out that program, or at the very least, we should not be trying to expand it.
    . More aggressive investment promotion policy and removal of bureaucratic obstacles to investing; and
    . Passage of labour market reform proposals arising from the 1990s George Eaton study.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Wait ... suh how come the Human Rights advocate side step these?

.Expanding the powers of the public defender to defend people's constitutional rights, and establishing an independent body to investigate abuses by the security forces;

"Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Do I need to spell out eveything for you?

By the way, do you remember my stance regarding the Trafigura (time yuh get the spelling right!) fiasco?

Lazie, it's impossible for us to remember all the times I cuss out the govt. and all the times I supported the JLP. Not going to try and prove anything to you. And your silly ploy of trying to get me to prove the impossible will not work.

How do you prove that man never went to Mars?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Do I need to spell out eveything for you?

By the way, do you remember my stance regarding the Trafigura (time yuh get the spelling right!) fiasco?

Lazie, it's impossible for us to remember all the times I cuss out the govt. and all the times I supported the JLP. Not going to try and prove anything to you. And your silly ploy of trying to get me to prove the impossible will not work.

How do you prove that man never went to Mars?
          Apparently I'm having a Jawge like moment here. What the fornication yuh talking about now? How does any of what you just posted tie in with your feedback? I see you come with sword and shield this morning ... no prob, just need fi know the rules of engagement here.

You boldly state that 5% growth in the medium term is very very improbable. Why yuh have a problem explaining yuhself? No need to get defensive, just tell us that since the PNP cyaan dweet yuh nuh see how the JLP can dweet. A nuh nothing, I would told that at a family get together on Sunday.

Comment

Again Lazie, it is difficult having an intelligent conversation with you. So, I won't stress myself in trying.

How does it tie in? It doesn't, that's why I said, "by the way". Should I have started a new thread? My bad!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I read on this forum time and again how the JLP have no ideas, now it deh pon the table, I expect us to objectively put forward arguments for or against what was proposed. Its as if people ketch dem fraid.

Mi notice the one Karl gwaan wid the wind.
              Last edited by Lazie; April 27, 2007, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Karl gone for an eye checkup.

Jawge nuh guh pon line while at the All-Inclusive..

Comment

Well, what are your views about my response? Or am I to expect the usual stonewalling tactics?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Who is the MP for your constituency ?

Comment

Mosiah HEART is needed, just like BOCES in some US states and technical schools after hight school.

As long as we have such a high rate of Unemployment heart is needed. What must be done is to collect 2% of every graduate pay over 3 or so years to get some money so it can run itself. The hotel training school should be able to pay for itself and think of other ways that it will pay for itself. In the short term Heart and other training programs have to b e expanded to teach proper working techniques and discipline.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        Well, what are your views about my response? Or am I to expect the usual stonewalling tactics?
                        Stonewalling tactics? Me? Laughable. Suh now yuh want my feedback on your feedback? As yuh wish!
                        1. yet to be convinced about how serious they are to combat crime. When you defend a garrison such as Tivoli...

See, thats the hypocritical stands that mek you and Lazie have stand offs. Di people dem a Tivoli nuh Jamaicans like you too? Dem nuh entitled to the same rights and protection as me and you? Derrick Smith indicated to Comrade Deacon Thwaites that for the first 3 years the Ministry of National Security will receive the most of the budget in order to fight crime, because to them, security is their priority. The Deacon objected to it .... Nuh worry, you'll gain support once yuh mention Tivoli.
                        2. Re: Education: electioneering. Not gonna happen.

Did you say the same when PJ made the same proposal in 2002? Why is it when the JLP say X you must shoot it down as being impossible or not gonna happen? Have you considered what could happen if we had an educated labour force?
                        3. Good. Yuh alright? hehehehe.
                        4. Personally sick of "craft training centres".

Well, thats your personal feeling. How many people actually do craft vending to support their families? What percentage of the visitors actually go to these craft markets? Are you aware that some cruise ship visitors are bused directly from the ports to places like the Taj Mahal instead of spending money with the small vendor?
                        5. ; Spend the money on schools! HEART exists because our schools failed. We should be phasing out that program, or at the very least, we should not be trying to expand it.

Phase out? Assasin talk to him bout Heart fi mi nuh? I heard the Francios interview the head chef of a resort in a small island. Where him start out? HEART. Stop being so heartless Mosiah. Obviously Mosiah nuh comprehend the impact HEART have on sectors such as Tourism. Think .... if you train people to fulfill certain needs, you can go out and attract investors. Let me remind you on what was done after the man power survey was completed?

Comment

Don't even know. But I'm sure he/she will make him/herself known to me sometime later this year.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is suh life good fi yuh ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                              Stonewalling tactics? Me? Laughable. Suh now yuh want my feedback on your feedback? As yuh wish!
                              1. yet to be convinced about how serious they are to combat crime. When you defend a garrison such as Tivoli...

See, thats the hypocritical stands that mek you and Lazie have stand offs. Di people dem a Tivoli nuh Jamaicans like you too? Dem nuh entitled to the same rights and protection as me and you? Derrick Smith indicated to Comrade Deacon Thwaites that for the first 3 years the Ministry of National Security will receive the most of the budget in order to fight crime, because to them, security is their priority. The Deacon objected to it .... Nuh worry, you'll gain support once yuh mention Tivoli.
                              2. Re: Education: electioneering. Not gonna happen.

Did you say the same when PJ made the same proposal in 2002? Why is it when the JLP say X you must shoot it down as being impossible or not gonna happen? Have you considered what could happen if we had an educated labour force?
                              3. Good. Yuh alright? hehehehe.
                              4. Personally sick of "craft training centres".

Well, thats your personal feeling. How many people actually do craft vending to support their families? What percentage of the visitors actually go to these craft markets? Are you aware that some cruise ship visitors are bused directly from the ports to places like the Taj Mahal instead of spending money with the small vendor?
                              5. ; Spend the money on schools! HEART exists because our schools failed. We should be phasing out that program, or at the very least, we should not be trying to expand it.

Phase out? Assasin talk to him bout Heart fi mi nuh? I heard the Francios interview the head chef of a resort in a small island. Where him start out? HEART. Stop being so heartless Mosiah. Obviously Mosiah nuh comprehend the impact HEART have on sectors such as Tourism. Think .... if you train people to fulfill certain needs, you can go out and attract investors. Let me remind you on what was done after the man power survey was completed?

1. Lazie, if the JLP and the PNP are not serious about dismantling garrisons, then I cannot take them serious about doing something about crime. Tivoli will always be singled out because it is the mother of all garrisons. The PNP's garrisons combined can't begin to compare. I could tell you more about what I know but I don't need martyrdom any time soon!

2. When PJ did the same thing, that was electioneering at its best too. In fact, the PNP came with this nonsense after the JLP had proposed something that forced them to do one better. Prove to me that I didn't call it electioneering then too! I dare you! And what's all this nonsense about considering what would happen if we had an educated labour force? Is me yuh talking tuh!!!

4. Govts worry about craft-training and such the like when their policies continue to push out "graduates" who can't do anything but "train in craft". If we had a decent education system that was pushing out engineers and offered real opportunities to entrepeneurs, we could be outsourcing our craft-making to lesser countries like T&T.

5. And that's why I say we probably don't need to get rid of it all together. Lazie, many (not all!) of the courses being undertaken at HEART are those that should have been mastered in high school. HEART is giving people a 2nd and 3rd chance to complete some studies that they danced and smoked away in high school. Again, with a better primary and high school education system, less and less people would find it necessary to go to HEART. It came in at a good time and I've seen where people have moved on to bigger and better, so it really serves as a community college in many ways. That's okay, but we don't need the whole country attending community colleges!

I appreciate your attempt to hold a decent conversation. Oh, how painful it must have been!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X