Dr Davies' monumental achievement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dr Davies' monumental achievement

No Karl, shame on you for making yuhself look silly ... then again, its the norm!!
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Suh hold on.. what is the job description of a Minister of Finance ?

"Comrades, now dat wi reach..."

Those are the things that concern me.. not the intricacies of the job that EVERY MOF would have to deal with and has dealt with prior to Omar...

The man should be either in prison for what he admitted to doing.. setting back the economy in 2002.. derailing his own stated objectives.

Easy yuhself and be glad seh him nevah get lynch.

Suh hold on.. what is the job description of a Minister of Finance ?

"Comrades, now dat wi reach..."

Those are the things that concern me.. not the intricacies of the job that EVERY MOF would have to deal with and has dealt with prior to Omar...

The man should be either in prison for what he admitted to doing.. setting back the economy in 2002.. derailing his own stated objectives.

Easy yuhself and be glad seh him nevah get lynch.
      No doubt Davis did us wrong. Hell Davis, himself, admitted to same. ...and, in many countries a Minister of Finance/Minister resonsible for Finance would have resigned or been fired. In some a government would have fallen. Have no problem with your utterances.

...but, we were discussing the misleading...the lying by Rev. Nembhard. Assasin is either not capable of reading...which I do not believe...

...or he is deliberately lying to himself? Lying to one's-self is engaging in self-deception. ...and, there are arguments made on whether that is the heights of corruption or heights of stupidity.

...but, since Assasin has asked on more than one occasion and I have responded on more than one occasion, let me try one last time -

Assasin:
      1. Nembhard called out Phinn for saying and acting in a manner that was not honest and just....not true to how a person such as a Rev or Pastor should use his position and or express self on political matters.

2. Nembhard warned of the ills in not being careful in how those who preached the gospel and represented themselves as just, religious persons took sides with political parties. In a nutshell Nembhard called for careful thought, honesty and fairness by persons of the cloth when presenting pronouncements and or opinions on JLP/PNP/any P.

3. The Rev. Mr. Nembhard because of his statements on the "Phinn issue" underscored why persons of his persuasion must be fair and just.

4. The lie is - after expounding on why persons such as himself (religious leaders)...must be fair and just...and, having us believe through that earlier article that he ...being a Rev/a Parson himself...would be fair and just...he was not fair and just in his last article on Davis. His article gave not the whole truth on Davis and thus was in and of itself a lying article.

Assasin: The man told us one thing about how religious leaders should conduct themselves...and, did the opposite. He gave the lie to his earlier argument/his sermon.

Can I be any clearer on why the man is a liar?

Assasin: Can you be fair and just when you point out only a person's failings and ignore that person's good works? ...bad actions and not good actions?

If you answer yes...then pity those in your immediate surroundings, is all I can say. I know that for me fairness demands I consider all sides of the person - faults and good points.

As to your asking what has Davis done that is good, I can only say let me not be in your good books....and, particularly not in your bad books. For the former you would present me as not human...making never a mistake....and, on the later it is possible you would consider me the devil, himself...totally and complete bad. Neither position - me! Cut me and I bleed! So too Davis, despite what Nembhard and you would have us believe.
      Last edited by Karl; April 30, 2007, 01:25 AM.

Comment

In most of the years since the 90s Davis has missed budgetary targets and have to make suplimentary adjustments to get more funds.

He has borrowed at higher interest rate than anybody else before him.

He has let the infrasturcture of eastern Jamaica reduced to rumbles, whether it is police with cars, water, roads, hospitals, fire trucks, or bridges. There is no way I could vote for this goverment based on this.

Omar float too many local bonds that take capital out of the society and place it is government saving instruments. He has not grown the GDP since he took over and is running to many public companies that are draining the budget, companies like Air J, JUTC just to name a few.

Omar supervised more overrun than any other Minster of Finance in Jamaica and these are all under his watch. The same pay he is giving the public service without a bigger GDP it means more debt in case you don't know. Our productivity now is worst than the 1960s and as Mosiah said the education system at the high school level is a mess
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          Omar
          Perhaps, this may help you to realise...lead you to realise that Omar is not the alpha and omega of problems in/with the economy?

Perhaps?

---->Yes and no, Mr Chairman
          Christopher Burns
          Monday, April 30, 2007

It is always thrilling to hear the passion with which Gordon 'Butch' Stewart speaks of Jamaica. His revolutionary foray into the hotel industry, his skilful development of brand "Sandals" and establishment of the prestigious Jamaica Observer newspaper speaks volumes about his keen business acumen. In addition, we are at one on the irrefutability that Jamaica is the most beautiful place on earth.

Butch Stewart has contributed immensely to community development projects and recently affirmed this commitment to the Flankers community. The very young would not know that it was Butch Stewart who played the lead role in driving government efforts, through the "dollar initiative" to improve the country's foreign exchange supplies in the early 1990s. Although Mr Stewart's views on national issues conflict sometimes with those held by others, I am sure he remains committed to and positive about Jamaica.

There should be no surprise that there are many divergences in views between us on some national issues. I disagree with him that "The best thing that you can give a human being is a job." Undoubtedly, Mr Stewart's declaration will continue to resonate well among the unemployed, many of whom are struggling to make ends meet. To them, a job could provide sufficient financial benefits to help them provide for their families. Mr Stewart's position can only be absolute if one assumes that a job, however unrewarding, oppressive, or restrictive always provides the greatest source of happiness and satisfies most human needs. The truth is we do not live in Utopia, and other variables are constantly at play that may hinder the things we do.

Consequently, a job by itself may not foster the environment for meaningful advancements or self-actualisation. I believe that it is better to give individuals the opportunity to unleash their potential, to develop and tap into their intellectual capital, and to harness their God-given talents and entrepreneurial skills; sufficient enough to allow them to go on to create their own employment. This is the type of paradigmatic shift and strategic thinking that is needed to encourage more Jamaicans to lead lives which are not so much dependent on the efforts or generosity of others, but on the premise and promises of their own ingenuity.

However, because Mr Stewart's comments were made within the context of Jamaica's high unemployment and low economic growth rates, the discussions must also be extended to examine some of the causal factors behind both. The economic blight in Jamaica is attributable to a potpourri of internal and external factors that we must not overlook in this discussion.

Needless to say, we have to look beyond governmental inertia to examine the other issues that may affect employment levels and by extension stymie economic growth, generally. Issues such as technology, which in some instances may increase employment and in other instances may decrease it. In the case of a decrease, the displacement manifests itself in consumption patterns which go on to affect the supply side of the economic cycle.

While it's reasonable to apportion blame to the government, we have to also look at the owners of capital and their role in the economic development process. The discussions must similarly review the risk-averse culture of our private sector, its refusal to broaden ownership and raise additional capital through programmes such as employee-share options and public offerings, its lack of innovative thinking, its unwillingness to reinvest in both plant and people instead of using profits to acquire luxury items.

So, one may be wondering how other countries, faced with similar challenges survive, yet we are struggling to achieve a growth rate of three per cent. Other countries have managed because their cultural, social, economic and political arrangements are different from ours. Some countries have very structured and strategic human resource and manpower models that allow them to design and align their educational and vocational training policies in tow with global trends and niches that allow them to produce those goods and services for which they have the requisite comparative and competitive advantages, and do not have to struggle with some of the cultural prejudices that we have to contend with here. Our experience with the 807 garment factories and the shifting of these jobs to other countries with different labour and employment arrangements should cause us to rethink our management of the labour economy.

One would not find, for example, an overabundance of management studies graduates, as is the case in Jamaica, when the market is demanding computer programmers, technicians, architects, doctors, etc. Jamaica now finds itself in a situation where it cannot fill some of the jobs being created locally and cannot accept some of those being exported by other countries, because these jobs fall outside the scope and capabilities of the average unemployed. We have to recalibrate our human capital development plans to focus on producing more of what consumers want. India has a strategy that we could learn from, in this regard.

This brings me to another issue; the issues of social partnerships, consensus building and bi-partisanship on which I share a convergence of views with Mr Stewart. He is right in calling for dialogue between the state and the owners of capital to find solutions to the problems that beset us.

However, I would go a step further to expand the circumference of the partnership circle to include labour and civil society. I also agree with him that "we can't keep on exporting all the youngsters that come out of school". But we also have to find a way to educate them on risk-taking, with the hope that they will understand the relationship between risks and wealth, and then take steps to empower themselves. In order to achieve these things, we must take steps to build social capital, and it begins with the establishment of trust.

Burnscg@aol.com
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

what this have to do with anything?

You lost me here.

Did he not put some blame and the government?

Isn't the government responsible for the economic model?

Can you detail the good Omar Davis has done for our economy?

Omar has been playing defense and missing so many of his own targets
            Our ratings by the international organization is constantly dropping under his watch.

If it was the opposite I would heap praises on him but sorry like the Rev. I can't.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yuh know what rationalize mean ?

Looks like yuh need to walk with a Dictionary.

Yuh never hear of companies increasing productivity and reducing/rationalizing human resource ?

Yuh ever hear about a WELFARE system ?

Increase your dosage.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                what this have to do with anything?

You lost me here.

Did he not put some blame and the government?

Isn't the government responsible for the economic model?

Can you detail the good Omar Davis has done for our economy?

Omar has been playing defense and missing so many of his own targets
                Our ratings by the international organization is constantly dropping under his watch.

If it was the opposite I would heap praises on him but sorry like the Rev. I can't.
                Why do you not give us figures, 1944 to present - dollars in today's dollars and percentage - we can get our teeth into on our debt management?

Why not site figures from 1944 to present on growth - positive or negative - over the years up until the present?

Let us compare truthful figures?

Why not also take various sectors and or areas of the economy and show growth - positive or negative - using units?

Let us look at the miles our roads increased over each year?

Let us look at size of civil service year following year?

Let us look at size of the civil service wage bill... each year?

Number of schools built - physical stock in 1944 through to present?

Increase in telephone instruments in numbers fo homes?

Then look at increases in expenditure of some areas - health services? ...police?

Production of tons sugar through the years?

Number of visitors in the tourist sector - year following on year/

Level of savings - in today's dollars, year after year?

Numbers employed in the private sector - year after year?

Exports value in today's dollars - year after year?

...I am sure you can add to the above? Let us have from you numbers we can get our teeth into when discussing Davis' failures and or successes when we make these comparisons? As you are emphatic on his accomplishing nothing but failures I am sure you will not be afraid to present figures to support that argument....right?
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Why? The last time you got figures your response was, "The figures may well be true, but no black dwag fi monkey fi me!" Stop act as if you tek Jamaica's issues seriously.
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                    Why do you not give us figures, 1944 to present - dollars in today's dollars and percentage - we can get our teeth into on our debt management?

Why not site figures from 1944 to present on growth - positive or negative - over the years up until the present?

Let us compare truthful figures?

Why not also take various sectors and or areas of the economy and show growth - positive or negative - using units?

Let us look at the miles our roads increased over each year?

Let us look at size of civil service year following year?

Let us look at size of the civil service wage bill... each year?

Number of schools built - physical stock in 1944 through to present?

Increase in telephone instruments in numbers fo homes?

Then look at increases in expenditure of some areas - health services? ...police?

Production of tons sugar through the years?

Number of visitors in the tourist sector - year following on year/

Level of savings - in today's dollars, year after year?

Numbers employed in the private sector - year after year?

Exports value in today's dollars - year after year?

...I am sure you can add to the above? Let us have from you numbers we can get our teeth into when discussing Davis' failures and or successes when we make these comparisons? As you are emphatic on his accomplishing nothing but failures I am sure you will not be afraid to present figures to support that argument....right?
                    "Comrades, on the road to the 4th Term, I was not going to stop... now that wi reach, wi can karreck it"

There is an old adage that might serve you well:

If it looks like sh1t, smells like sh1t you don't have to taste it to sumrise that it is sh1t.. It look like seh you want us to feast on it...

No thanks.

Under any reasonable Metric.. Omar Davis and the PNP Admin has FAILED thei responsiblities as a Govt of a developing country.. 18 years later.. FAILED.. you can spin it how you want to and admire the 'successes' all you want.. the net result is FAILURE and were it not for certain 'political bungling' of another party and some attempt at a 3rd Party, we would have seen the back of them a long time ago.

The least you can do is siddung and 'hold yuh corner' while we relieve ourselves of this wretched overfilled political Diaper of Party which is a stinking anchor around the necks of the people. What you can do is work on flushing out the refuse that has accumalated under the bloated sedentary creature that has been crushing the life out of Jamaica the past 18 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X