• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golding fears 'sinister motive' behind PNP campaign on party

Golding fears 'sinister motive' behind PNP campaign on party financing
    Balford Henry, Observer writer
    Monday, April 30, 2007

Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) Leader Bruce Golding fears possible sinister motives behind the ruling People's National Party's (PNP's) current campaign to regulate the financing of political parties.

Golding called on his supporters Saturday night to focus their minds, "because there might be a sinister attempt to so strangle the issue of financing of political parties, with not just regulations, but with the kind of exposure that would deter people from making a contribution".

"In other words," the Leader of the Opposition said, "there is no law that you can pass, there is no regulation that you can introduce, that can prevent the brown paper bag from being conveyed and transmitted from one to the other.

"If I were to pursue and enact legislation that makes it hard for you to collect money, but I know that I have access to a brown paper bag that doesn't come through the wire transfers, not delivered by any emissary, not recorded in any transaction, then it means that you broke, I have money, let's call the elections now," he argued.

Claiming that the PNP's passion for the matter seemed to have been aroused by his revelation of their $31-million donation from Dutch oil trader, Trafigura, in 2006, Golding compared it to, "is like when you catch a man in the banana walk with the banana, all of a sudden him want a law to deal with praedial larceny".

"We advise caution," Golding said at a fund-raising dinner for the JLP's South-West Clarendon constituency, led by candidate/caretaker Joel Williams, at the Four Seasons Hotel, Kingston.

Giving an example of a recent occurrence which had fed his fears, he noted that a recent contributor to the campaign of JLP candidate, Sally Porteous (Central Manchester), expressed to him concerns that after he appeared on television attending her fund-raiser, the income tax department suddenly wanted to reopen his income tax returns, which he had already signed off on.

"It could be coincidence. I am making no charges," Golding said.
    The JLP leader advised the political parties to proceed with caution and suggested they talked to the private sector to hear what was their comfort level.

He, however, declared that whatever decision was made by the Electoral Commission on the issue would be accepted by the JLP.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Re: Golding fears 'sinister motive' behind PNP campaign on p

Claiming that the PNP's passion for the matter seemed to have been aroused by his revelation of their $31-million donation from Dutch oil trader, Trafigura, in 2006, Golding compared it to, "is like when you catch a man in the banana walk with the banana, all of a sudden him want a law to deal with praedial larceny".
    So wrong-doing jus get harder fi the 'get ketch' and di 'nuh get ketch'!

"We advise caution," Golding said at a fund-raising dinner for the JLP's South-West Clarendon constituency, led by candidate/caretaker Joel Williams, at the Four Seasons Hotel, Kingston.

Giving an example of a recent occurrence which had fed his fears, he noted that a recent contributor to the campaign of JLP candidate, Sally Porteous (Central Manchester), expressed to him concerns that after he appeared on television attending her fund-raiser, the income tax department suddenly wanted to reopen his income tax returns, which he had already signed off on.
    So?

If the Income tax return was correct...it shall be still correct even if reviewed 1,000,000 times.

"It could be coincidence. I am making no charges," Golding said.
    The JLP leader advised the political parties to proceed with caution and suggested they talked to the private sector to hear what was their comfort level.
    Thought Golding said, Trafigura was a private sector entity...and, that private sector entity was comfortable engaging in 'hanky-panky' with a political party...PNP?

Now isn't it reasonable to assume that other private sector entities - local and external - and or external government agencies - CIA? - may be comfortable engaging in 'hanky-panky' with either of the political parties?

Wasn't Golding calling for such to be made impossible?

Wouldn't he want 'hanky-panky' to not occur with either PNP or JLP?

So, forward with the legislation!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Re: Golding fears 'sinister motive' behind PNP campaign on p

Karl are you that slow? Its not a matter of the income tax being correct. As I've said time and again, Jamaica nuh reach the level yet.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
      X