X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mighty Sparrow in coma

Mighty Sparrow in coma

[IMG]http://media.trinidadexpress.com/images/320*261/sare.JPG[/IMG]

The family is asking fans and the people of Trinidad and Tobago to pray for him and to respect their privacy.

Story Created: Sep 8, 2013 at 11:10 PM ECT
    Story Updated: Sep 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM ECT

According to a brief statement, "The family of Slinger Francisco The Mighty Sparrow is sad to announce that the Calypso King Of The World is in a New York hospital in a coma.

The family is asking fans and the people of Trinidad and Tobago to pray for him and to respect their privacy.

An update on his progress will be announced".

There were reports yesterday that legendary calypsonian the Mighty Sparrow (Slinger Francisco) is at a New York hospital in serious condition.
    A note on the Timeline of the Muzic Playerz DJ duo Facebook page stated that sources close to them informed them of his condition.
    The Express was told by someone who knows Sparrow that he was “very depressed” last week.
    Calls to Sparrow’s home and mobile phones in New York went unanswered, as well as calls to his home in Trinidad, where his wife, Margaret Francisco, spends much of her time.
    General secretary of the Trinbago Unified Calypsonians Organisation Wayne “Kassman” McDonald, told the Express they had not been informed that Sparrow was in hospital and could not confirm such.
    Sparrow was supposed to be presented a lifetime achievement award last Thursday by the Trinidad and Tobago Consulate in New York.
    The calypsonian did not attend the ceremony and instead sent his son, Richard Francisco, to receive the award on his behalf, with a message that he was unable to attend the function.

Very Sad

This is very sad news indeed. The Mighty Sparrow is, unquestionably, one of the greatest songwriters this region has ever produced. His immense volume of work is there for all to see.

He is presently almost 80 years old.

Someone (wife, management, etc.) should answer the phone, as it is inevitable that there will be concerned calls. It’s not as if Sparrow is a nobody! He depended on the media throughout his career, so the least his people could do is provide even a simple update.

Comment

Several years ago at one of our very first RBSC reunions, Sparrow was a surprise guest at Nakisaki restaurant. It was great to be on the same floor, mere feet away from the legend himself, as he performed and danced along to our requests. That was a special night - Sparrow performing for around 10 Forumites! For free!! Doesn't get any better than that!

Where is Portia to add to this?

So, I wish the Mighty Sparrow all the best!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah since when you like calypso? wow come dance to carnival soca

Comment

Originally posted by Naminirt View Post
          Mosiah since when you like calypso? wow come dance to carnival soca

.....hehehe....play wid puppy dawg him tun round and lick yuh face
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

A few summers ago, The Mighty Sparrow performed here in my little town upstate NY. I was surprised to see his name prominently displayed on the theater's marquee in this predominantly white town. He had a good turn out and met with his audience afterwards. I felt honored chit-chatting with the great man.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

calypso is not soca!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yuh a school di Trinidadian?
                School im, yes!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Sorry to hear
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Even more sad for his family,hence they are under no obligation to do thr press thingy,and his fans should understand.

Comment

If Nyamdirt nuh know dat, him deh a farin under one rock much too long!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I agree. Not because you are a public figure means that all aspects of your life must be made public. Let the family decide what they can deal with.

And since we are trading Sparrow stories, he used to live in Petit Valley Trinidad and often frequented local bars, including one where I go. I used to run into him all the time having a drink... we exchanged stories etc. He is an entertainer in all senses of the word... I wish him well.
                        Peter R

Comment

Working...
                        X