Big earthqake down yah....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big earthqake down yah....

...earlier on...6.0...longest shake I ever felt...kinda scary...good thing I was up....no aftershocks...yet

[IMG]http://media.trinidadexpress.com/images/320*201/earth10.jpg[/IMG] The red dot shows the approximate epicentre of the earthquake in relation to Trinidad.

Tools

Earthquake!

According to the University of the West Indies Seismic Research Centre , at 10:10pm local time, an earthquake occurred North of the Paria Peninsula Trinidad. The event was located at 10.86°N 62.12°W. The magnitude was 6.4 and depth 60km.

By Multimedia Desk

Story Created: Oct 11, 2013 at 11:33 PM ECT
    Story Updated: Oct 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM ECT

Trinidad was rattled by a magnitude 6.4 earthquake (preliminary data) Friday night, causing fear and unease among citizens concerned that it was intense enough to have caused damage, or trigger a tsunami.

However, there were no immediate reports of damage, and no tsunami warning was issued.

The earthquake was strong enough to cause disruption of the electricity supply, with T&TEC reporting issues at its sub stations in Carenage, Pt. Cumana and Santa Flora.

The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management issued a statement to advise citizens that it has put all first responder agencies on alert so that immediate assistance can be rendered if any adverse impact occurs. "Citizens are reminded to contact 511 if they have been adversely affected", the ODPM stated.

According to the University of the West Indies Seismic Research Centre , at 10:10pm local time, an earthquake occurred north of the Paria Peninsula, Trinidad. The event was located at 10.86°N 62.12°W. The magnitude was 6.4 and depth 60km.

Social media immediately lit up, with people sharing their experiences following the shake which lasted for a lengthy period and which occurred during the local government campaign meetings of the United National Congress in Debe, the Movement for Social Justice in Point Fortin and the Independent Liberal Party in Princes Town.
    Some reported pictures becoming dislodged from walls, and objects toppling from cupboards and cabinets. Others said they screamed and took cover under door frames. Many said they paused and prayed.

The quake is the latest in a series, the last occurring on Monday 9th September, at 9:54am, west of Trinidad in the Gulf of Paria. The event was located at 10.25°N and 61.75°W. The magnitude was 3.8 and the depth 76km. There were felt reports from St. James and Diego Martin, Trinidad.
    On Tuesday 27th August, 2013 at 7:59am local time an earthquake occurred North-west of Trinidad. The event was located at 10.76°N and 61.79°W. The magnitude was 3.9 and the depth 57 km. There were felt reports from Cocorite and Maraval, Trinidad".
    At 10.45 a.m on August 8,an earthquake occurred north of the Paria Peninsular, which is off Trinidad northwest coast.

"The event was located at 10.72N 62.33W. The magnitude was 3.8 with a depth of 77km. This event has been reported to be felt in Port of Spain Trinidad", the SRC stated.

At 10:56a.m on August 6, a quake was recorded north of Paria Peninsula.

The SRC gave the location as 10.75°N 62.13°W. The magnitude was 4.1 and depth 54km. No injuries or damage were reported.

Comment

It woke me up... but I had had a few and didn't realize how long or how strong it was til my better half started talking about a book falling off the shelf.

They say it's just a matter of time before the really big one...
      Peter R

Comment

I Was Surprised

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
        It woke me up... but I had had a few and didn't realize how long or how strong it was til my better half started talking about a book falling off the shelf.

They say it's just a matter of time before the really big one...
        Maybe it’s because of thinking about Guyana where there are no earthquakes or hurricanes (Guyanese generally learn about these phenomena when they migrate from their South American homeland), but I somehow never linked the name “Trinidad and Tobago” with “earthquake”!

I’m happy that there are (apparently) no major damages and casualties.

Comment

This is earthquake country boss....

http://earthquaketrack.com/p/trinidad-and-tobago/recent

a day ago 6.1 magnitude, 79 km depth
          Point Fortin, Saint Patrick, Trinidad And Tobago

2 months ago 3.4 magnitude, 49 km depth
          Chaguanas, Caroni, Trinidad And Tobago

2 months ago 3.6 magnitude, 53 km depth
          Tunapuna, Saint George, Trinidad And Tobago

11 months ago 4.5 magnitude, 72 km depth

about a year ago 3.7 magnitude, 40 km depth

about a year ago 4.8 magnitude, 7 km depth

2 years ago 4.0 magnitude, 3 km depth

2 years ago 4.1 magnitude, 3 km depth

3 years ago 4.6 magnitude, 34 km depth
          Sangre Grande, Saint Andrew, Trinidad And Tobago

3 years ago 3.1 magnitude, 28 km depth

Comment

...‘Quake a reminder’

Story Created: Oct 12, 2013 at 9:53 PM ECT
            Story Updated: Oct 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM ECT

FRIDAY night’s magnitude 6.4 earthquake was the largest the country has experienced in some time and serves as a reminder that we must at all times be prepared for tragedies.
            “We live in a zone where earthquakes can strike and we must never forget what happened to our Caribbean neighbours in Haiti,” said Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar yesterday.
            The University of the West Indies Seismic Research Centre said an earthquake of magnitude 6.4 occurred North of the Paria Peninsula Trinidad at 10.10 p.m. local time. The event was located at 10.86°N 62.12°W at a depth 60km.
            It was felt in Trinidad, Grenada and Guyana. No damage has been reported thus far.
            The ODPM, as the lead coordinator of emergency management, put all first responder agencies on alert so that immediate assistance can be rendered if any impact occurs.
            Citizens can contact 511 if they have been affected, the ODPM said yesterday.
            The Tobago Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) said yesterday there were no reports of structural damage in the sister island following Friday night’s earthquake.
            As a result of rough seas a boat was damaged off rocks in Buccoo. Damage was sustained to its engine and propeller.

Comment

I Didn't Realize

Thanks for the information, Exile. I’m learning, as somehow I never realized that the twin-island state of Trinidad & Tobago was a serious candidate for earthquakes!

I’ve never been to Trinidad & Tobago, and I guess that the southern location of this country and its obvious link to the continental shelf of South America confused me (as far as I’m aware a country like Guyana, which is a maritime neighbor of Trinidad, does not have earthquakes or hurricanes).

On the other hand, this is shoddy thinking on my part, as South America’s Chile is one of the most earthquake-prone countries on the planet.

Comment

Added to that is the submarine volcano close Grenada and TT that could induce Tsunamis:

http://www.uwiseismic.com/general.aspx?id=27

Comment

I heard their was a tremor in JA yesterday, didn't feel it though

Comment

Wow the things I learn on this forum. I had no idea that T&T got so many quakes.
                    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
                    X