Jamaica Restores Name: Country No Longer Seen As A Pariah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica Restores Name: Country No Longer Seen As A Pariah

Jamaica Restores Name: Country No Longer Seen As A Pariah After Creditable Performance Under IMF Programme, Says Bullock

Published: Thursday | October 17, 20134 CommentsColin Bullock

Daraine Luton,*Senior*Staff*Reporter

DIRECTOR GENERAL of the Planning Institute of*Jamaica(PIOJ) Colin Bullock says the international markets are warming up to the country in light of its performance under the extended fund facility with the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

"The purse strings appear to be loosening and there appears to be increased confidence in Jamaica's capacity to manage a difficult programme," Bullock said.

The PIOJ boss, who was speaking during a meeting of Parliament's Public Administration and Appropriations Committee, said Jamaica was no longer being seen as a pariah by the country's international development partners.

He said that prior to securing the deal with the IMF, the partners were unwilling to commit resources to the country, but that position has changed with the success of the programme so far.

Bullock, while responding to questions from CentralClarendon*Member of Parliament Mike Henry about how the forecast of optimism fits in with the latest consumer and business confidence review, which shows confidence at its lowest, said sometimes there might be a divergence between how people see things and what is really happening.

"Where we were a year ago is that we didn't have an*IMFprogramme*and we were cut off from funding by international agencies. We were not able to borrow at all, (and) we were international pariahs," Bullock said.

NOT ALL BAD

He told the committee that despite the findings of the survey, there are people in Jamaica who are doing business.

"In spite of the perceived difficulties, there are companies in Jamaica which are not [complaining]. Probably they don't have the time to complain and to express this lack of confidence. They are too busy making money," Bullock told the committee.

The Government inked a four-year extended fund facility arrangement with the IMF in May, which allows the country to borrow about US$932.3 million from the Fund.

The financing arrangement forms a critical part of a totalfunding*package*of US$2 billion from Jamaica's multilateral partners, including the World Bank and the Inter-American Development Bank, with each having preliminarily agreed to allocate US$510 million over the next four years.

"I think, in terms of our commitment to meeting our objectives, we have turned around our international status," Bullock said.

He added: "The governor [of the Bank of Jamaica] and the FS (financial secretary) and myself are just coming from Washington between Sunday and Monday of this week, and I can say that everybody is pleasantly surprised about Jamaica's success in meeting its targets so far, and there is now renewed interest in Jamaica from the multilaterals and the IFC (international financial community) in terms of facilitating private-sector investment in Jamaica."

Yesterday, the European Union (EU) commissioner for development, Andris Piebalgs, announced the disbursement of two new tranches of budgetary support to Jamaica amounting to €9.2 million or J$1.3 billion.

The amount adds to the €7 million already paid in September, and follows a meeting between Finance Minister Dr Peter Phillips and EU representatives in Washington on the weekend.

The two disbursements relate to programmes supporting the continued and successful implementation of the Jamaican Strategy for the Adaptation of the Sugar Industry 2006-2020.

daraine.luton@gleanerjm.com

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Sorry, Lazie and Assasin, I know you wanted to post this yourself, but perhaps you can just join me in a "gwaan"?

After 3...4!

Gwaan Peter! Gwaan Colin!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Restore name as of when? Even though the IMF agreement stalled, the dollar was stable, the economy recovered out of a recession and prior to being kicked out of office .... despite the stalled IMF agreement, the gov't was able to raise funds from a multilateral agency.

So again, restore name from when?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

you a real joker to rhatid. Mi woulda cover mi face and talk right now
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Sorry, Lazie and Assasin, I know you wanted to post this yourself, but perhaps you can just join me in a "gwaan"?

After 3...4!

Gwaan Peter! Gwaan Colin!
          LOL
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Sorry Mo, but that article is just another example of Govt by PR. Jamaican style.

We dont seem to be able to can that dirty old habit...

Comment

Calm before the storm. Or are you telling me One Turd never had to go the IMF art any point?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Calm before the storm. Or are you telling me One Turd never had to go the IMF art any point?
                Let me guess? Have nothing to say so you type foolishness?
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Erm...wrong again!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Erm...wrong again!
                    ... okay ... there you go again, thinking your foolishness is fact.

Comment

Yuh no different from the Tea Baggers. You can't stand when things go right under Portia. Be happy for yuh country man!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuh no different from the Tea Baggers. You can't stand when things go right under Portia. Be happy for yuh country man!
                        I am told to respect a man's religion .... but ....

When things go right under Portia?

Dollar is about to breach the $105 barrier.
                        Instead of oxtail, me hear say the new craze a croc tail.
                        Mongoose is the latest exotic meat.
                        According to the JCF murder rate is on the increase.
                        Despite Jeep, unemployment thru the roof.
                        Business and consumer confidence at its lowest since 2003.
                        Country is back in recession.
                        World Bank confirms Jamaica is one of the poorest in the Caribbean.

Yuh right, things going right under Portia's reign. Congrats.

Comment

Portia to di werl!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                          X